SF Bicyclist charged: misd. involuntary manslaughter

Old November 16th 11, 05:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ronko

Default SF Bicyclist charged: misd. involuntary manslaughter

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?
f=/c/a/2011/11/15/BAVR1LVK2F.DTL&tsp=1

Lowest possible charge in this case. Street is very wide at this point,
5 or 6 lanes on the embarcadero in SF. The victim had crossed most
of the lanes when hit in the bicycle lane by the charged bicyclist.

Old November 16th 11, 06:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Postman Delivers

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 21:47:31 -0800, Ronko wrote:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?
f=/c/a/2011/11/15/BAVR1LVK2F.DTL&tsp=1

Lowest possible charge in this case. Street is very wide at this point,
5 or 6 lanes on the embarcadero in SF. The victim had crossed most of
the lanes when hit in the bicycle lane by the charged bicyclist.

* * *
Ronko,

Cherney was crossing the Embarcadero in a crosswalk with the green light
at Mission when she was hit by Ang, who was traveling north, police said.

I remember this intersection, my only question, why did the cyclist run
the stop light & strike a 68-year-old pedestrian in the crosswalk.

There may be more info in the San Francisco Chronicle, that was not
provided in this on-line link.

JR the postman
Old November 16th 11, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Ronko wrote:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi? f=/c/a/2011/11/15/BAVR1LVK2F.DTL&tsp=1

Lowest possible charge in this case. Street is very wide at this point,
5 or 6 lanes on the embarcadero in SF. The victim had crossed most
of the lanes when hit in the bicycle lane by the charged bicyclist.

I have to wonder whether the bike was a fixed gear, but the article
leaves out this important detail. (It also fails to mention whether
the ped was wearing a helmet.)

Motorists rarely get charged with manslaughter when there is no
aggression or intoxication involved.

Chalo
Old November 16th 11, 07:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Ronko wrote:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?
f=/c/a/2011/11/15/BAVR1LVK2F.DTL&tsp=1

Lowest possible charge in this case. Street is very wide at this point,
5 or 6 lanes on the embarcadero in SF. The victim had crossed most
of the lanes when hit in the bicycle lane by the charged bicyclist.

linkier version:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...VK2F.DTL&tsp=1

I read a few accounts of this but none mentioned the
pedestrian's headgear or lack thereof.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old November 16th 11, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ronko

In article 4ec35393$0$20001$c3e8da3
,
says...

[...]

I synthesized the known information in my original post, there has
been nothing else substantive on this in the media that I've seen. I
response to another post on this, I don't know if the bike was a fixie or
not. That shouldn't matter as to the criminal charge.

Bicycles commonly run the lights along The Embarcadero in the bike
lane. Without admitting anything, I may have done this.

Old November 17th 11, 08:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Ronko wrote:

[In] response to another post on this, I don't know if the bike was a fixie or
not. That shouldn't matter as to the criminal charge.

Fixed gear implies callous indifference. Brakeless fix implies
intent.

Chalo
Old November 17th 11, 04:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Chalo wrote:
Ronko wrote:

[In] response to another post on this, I don't know if the bike was a fixie or
not. That shouldn't matter as to the criminal charge.

Fixed gear implies callous indifference. Brakeless fix implies
intent.

My employees were incredulous that any 1x cyclist running a
red in SF could possibly pass a pee test.

Old November 17th 11, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd[_2_]

Here's another story and a picture of what looks like the suspect:

http://www.baycitizen.org/bikes/stor...-womans-death/

Good Luck!
Old November 17th 11, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

bfd wrote:
:Here's another story and a picture of what looks like the suspect:

:http://www.baycitizen.org/bikes/stor...-womans-death/

And his bike, which isn't a fixiei[1], and which appears to have two
brakes.

[1] unless it's a fixie with brifters!
Old November 17th 11, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

bfd wrote:
Here's another story and a picture of what looks like the suspect:

http://www.baycitizen.org/bikes/stor...-womans-death/

Good Luck!

Lousy snapshot; can't see any frame detail at all!