Beth Got Married!

Old July 27th 04, 06:37 PM
harv

Default Beth Got Married!

"Gary Fritz" wrote in message
"Child" wrote:
shed tears. I already have the dream woman of my life and she
doesn't even ride a bike.

one word, Dom: TANDEM

Doesn't work if the wife in question refuses to do any activity that
involves effort or sweating, Beth. :-) We even gave a RANS Screamer a
short test-ride last month and she went berserk. She's too much of a
control freak to share control on the bike. And she's too much smaller
than me for her to captain.

Congrats on the nuptials!
Gary

Sorry to hear about your dilemma Gary. Maybe a RANS 'Whimper' (tm) or 'Quiet
Moaner' (reguspatoff) would be more her speed. 'Screamer' implies hot sweaty
activity and exhultation of all that entails.

Brings to mind an old joke with the punchline,"She's not moving, Pierre."
"Zat's O.K. Jacque, I theenk she's American."

Old July 27th 04, 07:25 PM
Child

Default [Delusional Dolan]: WAS Beth Got Married!

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
Some fields of learning cut across all other fields of knowledge. The use

of
the language is one such field. I am not discussing the reading and

writing
of great literature, but simply the correct and proper use of the

language.
If you can't do this up to a certain level, then you are not smart and you
are not educated.

Mr. Sherman for instance is an engineer, but he writes perfectly good
English. Being able to do this has gotten him where he is today. It will
carry him all his life. There is no downside to it. He is both smart and
educated and I know this about him based on the way he writes the

language.

Tom is absolutely smart and imo overly educated! But he already knows that.

To get an idea of what I am talking about you would have to hang around
college and university faculties. If this world is foreign to you, then

you
will never know what you have missed. But these are the people that read

and
write and perform most of the intellectual tasks of society. I have always
found them to be both smart and educated. They would never write the kind

of
really bad stuff you see everywhere on Usenet. They are incapable of it.

I am the child of a university professor (retired) and come from a family of
overly degreed jews. I personally find the academic obsession with
intellect annoying, but I am the family black sheep.

You are not bad but you could be better. Hells Bells, I could be better!

If
I were writing to a community of scholars I damn well would be better. But
being better requires time and effort. So we are constantly making these
little trade-offs between what we know is right and what we think we can

get
away with.

Certainly, I never post to the writing newsgroups. I can't keep up in
there.

You really should be capitalizing English for instance. I know that you

know
this and yet you take a shortcut which only annoys intelligent and

educated
people. You can get away with that on Usenet, but not in other realms of
life. It will get noted and it will hold you back. If you are young and

want
to get ahead, take pains with how you write the language.

the lack of capitalization has been a usenet trademark of mine from way back
in 93. I only use it intermittently anymore, but its part of my online
heritage!

PS. The arts and mathematics are very special fields of knowledge where
sheer raw talent will often play a leading role. But even those types can
write good every day English. They would never write like slugger for
instance.

Some write well, some don't!

Old July 27th 04, 08:10 PM
Child

Default [Delusional Dolan]: Beth Got Married!

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

You are apparently the worlds expert on english grammar and spelling, so

you
tell me.

Beth should have written it thus:

You are apparently the world's expert on English grammar and spelling, so
you tell me.

who has time for a shift key?

Is cohabitating a word?

It is not in the dictionaries. But I sometimes make up words too, so it is
not a cardinal sin. However, whenever one does this sort of thing one

should
at least be aware of what one is doing.

Since you knew exactly what I meant, I figure "cohabitating" has served its
purpose.

Then do not be calling him your Boytoy for heaven's sake! I strongly
disapprove of cohabitation and women are crazy to put up with it. Most

men
will leave you high and dry once they really get to know you, but

being
married you will find has changed things even so. As a never married

man
and
never having had much to do with women, I am an expert on the subject.
Listen to me and you will never go wrong. I could have been a Catholic
priest and advised the rest of the world on how to live. Positively no
cohabitation! That is a super no brainer!

Well, now Ed, that was actually really funny. I have always found the

idea
of catholic priests giving pre-marital counseling absolutely absurd.

But
we
didn't do any of that, and I assure you nothing has changed, except that

have to file my taxes differently and my health insurance has improved.

The
"Boytoy" is a long standing joke between he and I - anyone who knows me

for
longer than five minutes knows that I have plenty of respect for him.

You should not be using a personal expression of endearment like that for
someone on a newsgroup. Others can get a completely wrong idea about you.

I work hard to propagate that image!!

The Catholic priests who give pre-marital advice are getting that advice
from Church teaching which has a couple of thousand years of experience to
fall back on. There is absolutely nothing absurd about it unless you are
under the impression that only those who have direct personal experience

of
something can instruct and teach on a subject (shades of Larry Varney!).

I am currently in the process of learning to fuse glass as a hobby. I am
not about to take glass fusing lessons from someone who has never fused
glass, even if they read a million books on the subject ahead of time, and
watched the masters fuse glass.

its kind of like a systems administrator with no experience but has an MCSE.
they have some valuable knowledge to be sure, but there is nothing like real
life experience when it comes to running computer systems, fusing glass or
having a successful marriage. the marriage lessons i learned come from my
parents, married for 47 years. my mother raised me to be very aware of the
hard work it takes to have a successful marriage, and perhaps thats why its
taken me so long to get married.

July and August are our rainy summer months. May and June are the

nicest
weather with the most light - its starting to get darker again now.

Kind
of
sad to see summer fading away like that, but its nice to be able to

sleep.

Yes, our state has a terrible alcohol problem. But I love it up here,

even
in winter! I skijor with the dogs, and enjoy the snow. Its beautiful

in
the winter and not as cold as most people think. At least not in

Anchorage,
which we call the "banana belt" of Alaska due to the mild winter
temperatures.

Canada and Russia have a terrible alcohol problem. It is no use pretending
that it does not relate to climate and how marginal it is for human
habitation.

I actually think there are other factors at play there- evolutionary ones,
but hey, I rarely drink at all, and think my climate is just peachy.

I think I would still prefer July and August in Alaska provided those

months
were the warmest. Minnesota has one of the worst climates in the lower 48

as
far as I am concerned. I hate cold and snow with a passion. There is

nothing
I want to do on the outside in the winter, so I mostly stay inside as much
as possible. I really don't think too many people enjoy winter. It is too
late for me to leave Minnesota now, but if I had my life to live over I
would get the hell out of here for a more humane climate further south.

Its not too late. There are some lovely southern places with very
inexpensive cost of living that might make your minnesota dollars go far.

I think the only banana belt in Alaska would be down at Juneau. But I do
know Fairbanks is the pits. I have a friend from high school days who now
lives in Homer and he seems to think it is a paradise there. But like I
said, Alaska is just too cold and dark for me.

Fairbanks is THE pits. 90 degrees in summer and -40 in winter. Can't get
much more awful than 90 in my opinion.

Old July 27th 04, 08:12 PM
Child

"Dom" wrote in message
om...
My brother-inlaw and his wife got into the tandem thing and love it.
I've talked to my wife about getting a recumbent or trike tandem. Its
just that she doesn't have the deep desire to ride like we do. And
that's fine with me. She has never complained about my riding and in
some ways I enjoy the solitude of a nice solo ride which are probably
more than 90% of my rides. Never really got into group rides except
for the occasional charity or century ride I do each year. I will keep
pursuing the tandem course with her. Who knows maybe one of these
years it will happen. Dom.

i like to ride alone too. when I ride with boytoy I have to remind myself
it is NOT a training ride, its a toodle. If our success paddling together
in a kayak is anything like our pedaling together on a tandem, we will not
enjoy a tandem.

Old July 27th 04, 08:13 PM
Child

"Gary Fritz" wrote in message
"Child" wrote:
shed tears. I already have the dream woman of my life and she
doesn't even ride a bike.

one word, Dom: TANDEM

Doesn't work if the wife in question refuses to do any activity that
involves effort or sweating, Beth. :-) We even gave a RANS Screamer a
short test-ride last month and she went berserk. She's too much of a
control freak to share control on the bike. And she's too much smaller
than me for her to captain.

It does work. You pedal, she lets her legs follow along vbg

If we get a tandem I MUST be the captain. I would freak out on the back.

LOL, we once rented one of those bike carriages in disney and i couldn't
STAND him driving.

Old July 27th 04, 11:18 PM
Edward Dolan

Default [Delusional Doland ] Beth Got Married!

"Child" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

You have not included enough of my post to which you were responding.
Therefore, I cannot be specific. Please post properly - and this means
editing properly. Normally, I do not require any editing as everything I

say
is closely tied together and I know when to begin saying something and

when
to stop saying something - never too much and never too little. The rest

of
you could learn a great deal about how to post from closely observing

and
copying me.

You require editing because its proper usenet ettiquette so that people
don't have to read your drivel twenty times over, quoted and requoted so

on
and so forth.

Repetition is the basis of all learning. With all the idiots here, even
three or four times repeated is not too many. But if you are going to edit
my posts and then ask me a question about something that you have edited
out - I mean, how smart is that?

You are apparently confused about the conversation above. Perhaps your
memory fails you, but I will refresh it for you! You called my response

you "emotional", and I asked how it was emotional and to be specific,
because my instincts told me that you would go on a blathering diatrabe
about how all women are emotional, which is exactly what you did. I then
asked you again, to show where I was being emotional. You still evade the
question.

I could not answer your question because you had edited my post to the
extent that the original paragraph about which everything depended had been
eliminated by you. Elementary my dear Watson! By the way, have you ever met
Mr. Jon Meinecke and Mr. Larry Varney, also of this newsgroup? They just
love to quibble like you do too. I think you might really enjoy a
conversation with them. The lot of you could quibble about nothing at all
until the cows came home.

And I will give you a little help, its ridiculous to belabor this point

when
its obvious to everyone, including you. You have evaded the question
because I haven't acted emotionally, and you can't be specific.

I can't be specific when you do not include enough of what I have said
about the problem in question. Hence, you now see the importance of not
editing too severely. Many others also make this same mistake, so you are
not alone in your confusion.

One other thing: I never go back and look up anything. If it isn't in

the
present post to which I am responding, then it is lost forever as far as

am concerned. Hence, the importance of including enough in your post so

that
all the ground can be covered adequately.

LOL, I won't be responsible for your laziness, Eddie! You respond to
whatever you like, and I will remind you of what your responsibilities

are,
as a usenet denizen.

Post properly and all things are possible. Post improperly - and everything
becomes a mess!

I treat other men with the contempt they deserve because I thoroughly
understand them. I do not think you are much of a lady either, but you

can
work on that. A woman who is not a lady is less than a woman. There are

many
other names I can use to describe such women, but I do not believe you

will
want to hear them.

When you use those words to describe my friends, its clear you are NO
gentleman. However, its just profanity and insults- neither of which
bother me, so you go ahead an enjoy yourself. Recognize that the more you
insult, the less intelligent and credible you seem.

We have different styles. That is all it is. Your so-called friends are for
the most part scoundrels and knaves. I sure am glad they are not my friends.
Oh well, to each his own!

There you go, Eddie, with your delusions of grandeur! Looking

forward
your demonstration of my emotional reaction!

Learn how to post properly and all things are possible.

I suspect I have been on usenet longer than you have owned a

computer...but
hey, you netcop all you like.

I have not been on Usenet very long at all which is why I am surprised and
shocked at how stupid everyone is. It seems that if you have been on Usenet
any length of time that you should have learned all there is to know about
it. However, just the opposite seems to be the case. Apparently, the longer
you are on Usenet, the dumber and dumber you get. Quite a mystery I would
say!

Also, you need to learn how to think a bit more deeply too if we are to

have
a conversation that goes anywhere. Among my "delusions" are buried

pearls
of
wisdom which I give way for free.

I would hope that someone of your age would have something to offer me,

but
I have yet to witness any pearls. Just delusions.

You have not thought deeply enough. But you have to think with your head,
not other body parts. That again is another mistake that many on this group
make, so you are not alone in your confusion.

Also, why the hell don't you sign off properly? You do have a name don't
you? Then use it! For a long time user of Usenet, you don't strike me as
knowing very much.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old July 28th 04, 12:11 AM
gcdoss

Fairbanks is THE pits. 90 degrees in summer and -40 in winter. Can't get
much more awful than 90 in my opinion.

I lived in Fairbanks (1/2 mile Badger Rd) for 14 years from 1965 to 1979
and loved it also. Seen -80 once. I spent one year in the Juneau area
working on the Snettisham dam project and liked that as well except for
the 6 days of heavy rain or snow per week.
I also built a disco for state senator John Sackett in Anchorage (old
drivers license bureau) and was colder there than I ever got in
Fairbanks due to humidity.
You are right about the summers in Fairbanks as 95 Degrees feels like
you have been sent to hell.
Alaska is a great place for younger people but the extremes are tough on
an old worn out body such as mine.

Jerry
Old July 28th 04, 12:39 AM
Howard

Not only is #d D*l*n as you describe, I kinda think he's a commie.

Old July 28th 04, 02:13 AM
Child

"Cletus Lee" wrote in message
T...

Oh to be sure there is some drivel there too. But the forums are managed

and political discussion,
extreme abusive language and personal attacks are not tolerated. Ed would

be banned within the
first few days.

Reward good behavior. Punish bad behavior. Just like dogs, its works with
trolls.

The 'guy' you mention must be Mikael Seierup. I had dinner at his flat on

Copenhagen and we got in
a ride along the Zealand coast with the other ARBR Dane Torben Scheel. I

spent the night at
Torben's camped in his back yard.

Thats him! Mikael! I love that guy!~ Let me know when you get the
pictures back up!

Please note the newest addition to my sig line.

You got a GIRO and an AERO! Which do you ride when?

The Giro is one thing we shared in common before you disappeared. It has

over 5K miles now. It is
my commuter bike. The Aero Basso is the Ti Giro. You would love it. I

have 500 miles on it now. It
is my 'go-fast' bike I ride on weekends. The Voyager is getting 'long of

tooth' with nearly 10K
miles. I am keeping it around for my trips.

Yes, you introduced me to my giro. Is it painful to pack commuter clothes
on the TI bike???

Old July 28th 04, 02:18 AM
Child

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

Repetition is the basis of all learning. With all the idiots here, even
three or four times repeated is not too many. But if you are going to edit
my posts and then ask me a question about something that you have edited
out - I mean, how smart is that?

Not for some of us, its not. Some of us do not need repetition. But since
you admit to being a greybeard, I will be sure to quote and requote when you
dont' answer my questions properly the first time. Respect for my elders
being part of my culture and all.

[...]

No, you avoided my question from the very beginning. But thats ok.

One other thing: I never go back and look up anything. If it isn't in

the
present post to which I am responding, then it is lost forever as far

as
am concerned. Hence, the importance of including enough in your post

so
that
all the ground can be covered adequately.

LOL, I won't be responsible for your laziness, Eddie! You respond to
whatever you like, and I will remind you of what your responsibilities

are,
as a usenet denizen.

Post properly and all things are possible. Post improperly - and

everything
becomes a mess!

The quoting in this thread are already a mess.

[...]

I am sure the feelings are reciprocal.

[...]

I like being anonymous. I used to have this long and stupid sig and I used
to post as "BethF" but one day someone called me "Child" with a capital C.
This amused me greatly, for while the speaker was older than I, I was 35
years old at the time. I changed my name and found that Child came in
handy. . This way no one knows my gender.