the next stage in TDF

Old July 22nd 03, 05:05 AM
brianb

Default the next stage in TDF

I don't know much about bike racing, but what do you all think Lance's
strategy should be in the next stage?

This stage finished on an ascent, so he could pull away and win the
stage. The next stage has two climbs but then a long flat period
after the last one of maybe 50km. Does this negate Lance's climbing
ability? Even if he ascends the fastest the others would probably
catch up to him in the long flat part, as they are riding in groups
and he would most likely have to be riding alone. I would think by
definition he'd have to be riding alone...he'd be the first up the
ascent and then to win the race, he would have no one with him. If
his team members could keep up with him, they'd drag along the rest of
the peloton. Does this make sense?

What should his strategy be?
Old July 22nd 03, 07:21 AM
Raptor

brianb wrote:
I don't know much about bike racing, but what do you all think Lance's
strategy should be in the next stage?

This stage finished on an ascent, so he could pull away and win the
stage. The next stage has two climbs but then a long flat period
after the last one of maybe 50km. Does this negate Lance's climbing
ability? Even if he ascends the fastest the others would probably
catch up to him in the long flat part, as they are riding in groups
and he would most likely have to be riding alone. I would think by
definition he'd have to be riding alone...he'd be the first up the
ascent and then to win the race, he would have no one with him. If
his team members could keep up with him, they'd drag along the rest of
the peloton. Does this make sense?

What should his strategy be?

His strategy for Wednesday's stage, and for every stage but the ITT:
Stay within 1 second of Jan Ullrich at all times.

His strategy for the ITT: Win, or at worst, lose by less than 1:07.

The 2003 Tour de France has been decided barring a major, highly
unlikely circumstance.

It's time to return to watching the points competition and idling away
the time wondering whether the day's breakaway will win or be caught.

"I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we could to protect
our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security."
--Microsoft VP in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

Old July 22nd 03, 01:46 PM
brianb

--

Is it possible to win extra seconds off your score by being the first
one up the mountain, etc.? Yesterday LA won 12 extra seconds, I

Given that he lost over a minute in the first time trial, I would
think he would want more time on JU.

LA beat everyone in the first except JU, so either he (LA) wasn't that
bad, or everyone else was worse.
Old July 22nd 03, 06:58 PM
Mark Janeba

brianb wrote:
Is it possible to win extra seconds off your score by being the first
one up the mountain, etc.? Yesterday LA won 12 extra seconds, I
didn't know that was possible.

Time bonus at end of stage (except TT's): 20,12,8 seconds respectively
for top three places.

Yesterday Lance got 1st, Jan got 3rd - Lance gained 12 seconds of bonus
relative to Jan, 20 seconds relative to places 4th and up.

Time bonus for intermediate sprints (at designated points during
stages): 6,4,2 seconds respectively for top three places.

No time bonus for mountaintop sprints unless at end of stage.

Mark Janeba