Rider of the Year 2003 - Most Promising Rider - Most Disapointing Rider

Old October 22nd 03, 09:17 PM
Kyle Legate

Default Rider of the Year 2003 - Most Promising Rider - Most Disapointing Rider

otto wrote:

I would definitely say that Valverde is someone for the future. Not
only did he have a great Vuelta, but don't forget 2nd in Hamilton, and
he's only 23! If he manages to keep up that kind of form then i think
we'll be hearing alot from him in the coming years.

If he was from Belgium we'd be wondering if he's too much of a headcase to
fulfil his potential already.

Old October 22nd 03, 10:00 PM
Kurgan Gringioni

"Kenny" wrote in message
om...
Agree about Van Petegem. Rider of the Year is a debate between Bettini,
Petacchi and Van Petegem. Vino was very consistent, but his wins didn't

make
the same impression of the other three. I leave him out.

Vino was top from March till august. He won 2 HC races (Paris Nice and
Switserland) plus a WC-stage, a tour stage and ended 3rd overall.
What PVP showed in April was huge, especially because he won the two
most famous classics but I consider the results of Vino much higher.
And the way Vino won the Tour od Switserland in the last TT and the
Gold Race on the Cauberg was pretty impressive too.

I could place PVP in third instead of Petacchi, especially after his
3rd place in Hamilton, but Vino stands above. I don't understand
quite well why the achievements of Vino are toned down. He rode from
the spring till
the summer, almost like they used to do in the goold old time.

Dumbass -

Like I stated before, his wins don't leave the same impression. 15 GT stage
wins for Petacchi. RVV-PR double for Van Petegem. 3 World Cup wins for
Bettini.

Old October 22nd 03, 11:10 PM
h squared

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

"Davide Tosi" wrote in message

I also add:
Come back of the year 2003: Michele Bartoli

Dumbass -

quit homering. She won LBL in 2002.

i think he might have been talking about his comeback from a broken
pelvis in january (at least that's what i get from this -"Come back of
the year 2003: Michele Bartoli-starting the season with a broken pelvis
and ending it by dominating a Monument is just amazing." )

just a guess though?

heather
Old October 22nd 03, 11:27 PM
Kurgan Gringioni

"h squared" wrote in message

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

"Davide Tosi" wrote in message

I also add:
Come back of the year 2003: Michele Bartoli

Dumbass -

quit homering. She won LBL in 2002.

i think he might have been talking about his comeback from a broken
pelvis in january (at least that's what i get from this -"Come back of
the year 2003: Michele Bartoli-starting the season with a broken pelvis
and ending it by dominating a Monument is just amazing." )

just a guess though?

Dumbass -

he won Lombardia in 2002. So perhaps he deserves the Comeback Award for 2002.

Not 2003. He ended 2002 on top. That's not a comeback.

Old October 22nd 03, 11:41 PM
Nick Burns

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in
message . net...

"h squared" wrote in message

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

"Davide Tosi" wrote in message

I also add:
Come back of the year 2003: Michele Bartoli

Dumbass -

quit homering. She won LBL in 2002.

i think he might have been talking about his comeback from a broken
pelvis in january (at least that's what i get from this -"Come back of
the year 2003: Michele Bartoli-starting the season with a broken pelvis
and ending it by dominating a Monument is just amazing." )

just a guess though?

Dumbass -

he won Lombardia in 2002. So perhaps he deserves the Comeback Award for

2002.

Not 2003. He ended 2002 on top. That's not a comeback.

He came back from a broken pelvis. You are right, we were not really talking
about injuries but I think some slack can be given because of the accident
he came back from.

Old October 23rd 03, 12:05 AM
Kurgan Gringioni

"Nick Burns" wrote in message
m...

Dumbass -

he won Lombardia in 2002. So perhaps he deserves the Comeback Award for

2002.

Not 2003. He ended 2002 on top. That's not a comeback.

He came back from a broken pelvis. You are right, we were not really

talking
about injuries but I think some slack can be given because of the accident
he came back from.

Dumbass -

I just google'd and saw that he broke his pelvis in 2003. I thought it was in
2002.

I am incorrect and my points is invalid.

Old October 23rd 03, 12:48 AM
Kenny

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in message .net...
You are correct, I mistyped.

It's still not a comeback.

I remember him braking his pelvis this year. So winning Lomdardia and
the Giro di Lazio is a pretty nice comeback.
Old October 23rd 03, 01:00 AM
Kenny

(Davide Tosi) wrote in message ...

No. Bettini just made his duty and Vino did a good job but not that
special.

My ranking:
1. PvP - RvV/P-R doubles are rare gems in the history of cycling
2. Tyler H. - He had victories similar to Vino's ones, but more prestigious
(LBL instead of AGR) and he rode the Tour with a broken collarbone!
3. Petacchi - 15 stages in 3 different grand tours says it all. The most
exciting stage hunter since Freddy Maertens.

I don't get why you put Hamilton in front of Vino? When you look at it
objectively Vino did better. I agree though that the AGR is no LBL.
But the Tour Of Romandie is also no Paris-Nice.

Most Disapointing Rider 2003: Aitor Gonzalez

Di Luca. The self proclaimed killer had a long list of goals to achieve, he
did not go even near to reaching any of them. I am starting to think that
is win at Lombardy '01 was just something out of luck and in fact he's one
of the most overrated riders in the present peloton.

I agree. He showed us nice things at a very young age but now at the
age of 27 (or 28?) he hasn't made such a big step forward as many
people saw him doing a few years ago.

I also add:
Come back of the year 2003: Michele Bartoli
This guy has more class in one of thighs than the
whole ONCE team.

Completely true. I hope next year he can finally win the WC that he
deserves as an Italian or as a Belgian.
Old October 23rd 03, 03:17 AM
Sonarrat

"Kenny" wrote in message
[...]

The link to Andrei Kivilev leaves a pretty strong impression if you ask me, and
just the look of the man on a bike is unforgettable.

-Sonarrat.

Old October 23rd 03, 03:31 AM
Kurgan Gringioni

"Sonarrat" .. wrote in message

[...]