Yamaha Chappy electric conversion

Old October 23rd 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.tech

Default Yamaha Chappy electric conversion

I have a yamaha chappy in my basement that hasn't worked in years. I
recently decided to convert it into an electric motorcycle. So thus far
I have a gutted chappy in my basement. I was wondering if anyone has
any advice on what type of motor, motor controller, and batteries I
should use? I went to the Coolfuel (a show on the science channel)
website and found that what he used in his "electric bush motorcycle"
was a 28 Peak HP Advanced DC Motor (www.kta-ev.com/), a Curtis model
1209 400 Amp motor controller (www.kta-ev.com/), and 4 12V Odyssey PC
1200 40 Ah @ 48 Volts batteries (www.odysseyfactory.com/). I would like
to be able to go 50-60 mph with about 40+ mile range. Any help on the
matter is appreciated. Thanks.

Old October 23rd 06, 11:49 AM posted to rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.tech
Earl Bollinger

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a yamaha chappy in my basement that hasn't worked in years. I
recently decided to convert it into an electric motorcycle. So thus far
I have a gutted chappy in my basement. I was wondering if anyone has
any advice on what type of motor, motor controller, and batteries I
should use? I went to the Coolfuel (a show on the science channel)
website and found that what he used in his "electric bush motorcycle"
was a 28 Peak HP Advanced DC Motor (www.kta-ev.com/), a Curtis model
1209 400 Amp motor controller (www.kta-ev.com/), and 4 12V Odyssey PC
1200 40 Ah @ 48 Volts batteries (www.odysseyfactory.com/). I would like
to be able to go 50-60 mph with about 40+ mile range. Any help on the
matter is appreciated. Thanks.

Well they used a Honda Rebel 200cc motorcyle frame and wheel set. Thus they
barely had enough room to mount the motor and those big batteries.
I don't know where you would put the batteries on that Yamaha Chappy
Mini-Bike much less a big electric motor.
You would need to fabricate something to mount the electric motor to the
existing transmission in order to power it.
Or replace the entire engine unit with a electric motor unit.
The Yamaha Chappy is not designed to run 50-60 mph anyway. So with all that
extra weight it would be dangerous.

Old October 23rd 06, 03:00 PM posted to rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.tech
bill

wrote:
I have a yamaha chappy in my basement that hasn't worked in years. I
recently decided to convert it into an electric motorcycle. So thus far
I have a gutted chappy in my basement. I was wondering if anyone has
any advice on what type of motor, motor controller, and batteries I
should use? I went to the Coolfuel (a show on the science channel)
website and found that what he used in his "electric bush motorcycle"
was a 28 Peak HP Advanced DC Motor (
www.kta-ev.com/), a Curtis model
1209 400 Amp motor controller (www.kta-ev.com/), and 4 12V Odyssey PC
1200 40 Ah @ 48 Volts batteries (www.odysseyfactory.com/). I would like
to be able to go 50-60 mph with about 40+ mile range. Any help on the
matter is appreciated. Thanks.

Why is this cross-posted to rec.bicycles.tech?