Got to love Zabel

Old May 19th 05, 04:53 PM
Bill C

Default Got to love Zabel

After Udo Bolts he's got to be my favorite rider. Udo did it all
without all the wins and glory, but Erik's had to reinvent himself to
stay at the top, and he just keeps finding ways to be a factor in
almost every race he's in. I really hope that he can grab a couple of
stages after the mountains because I think this year is it. I think
he's smart enough and the team respects him enough to help him geta few
at the Tour this year too, if not wins then enough results to have hin
contending for the Green Jersey again.
he's said he want's to stay in tha gane after he's done riding, and I
can't think of anyone better to work with racers on how to make the
most of their career opportunities. I think he's still the most popular
German cyclist by a lot, and deserves to be.
Jeff has some good stuff that highlights how hard and smart Zabel
works.:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...y05/may19news3

Zabel edging closer
After finishing fifth on Stage 9 and fourth yesterday, T-Mobile's Erik
Zabel is edging ever closer to a stage victory in his first the Giro
d'Italia. With the real mountains starting today, the 34 year-old is
one sprinter who is able to get over the climbs and make the time cut a
little easier than his rivals, so his chances of a win will naturally
increase as the days tick by.

He's not racking up the wins the way he used to, but when the going
gets really tough for the sprinters he's always there and isn't
stirring up a bunch of **** either.
Bill C

Old May 19th 05, 07:55 PM
Tom

The Tour de France. Telekom is committed to getting the win for Jan.
If they were smart, they'd leave Zabel at home for the Tour and
completely concentrate on Jan. That would stink, but that's what they
should do instead of trying to get stage wins for Zabel. Get another
mountain support rider in there to help out old Jan in the high
mountains.

Tom

Old May 19th 05, 08:40 PM
Bill C

Tom wrote:
The Tour de France. Telekom is committed to getting the win for Jan.
If they were smart, they'd leave Zabel at home for the Tour and
completely concentrate on Jan. That would stink, but that's what

they
should do instead of trying to get stage wins for Zabel. Get another
mountain support rider in there to help out old Jan in the high
mountains.

Tom

I'm not sure that they have enough faith in Jan to put everything into
his lap. I'm not sure they're willing to go take that risk of Jan
breaking again. At least with Wesseman and Zabel around they have some
damage control available if they need it. I agree that he needs more
help in the mountains but given Jan's climbing style I'm not sure that
it would really help him. What he has trouble with are the quick
attacks and changes in pace. I don't think T-Mobil can put together a
strong enough squad to keep the pace high enough to limit these. Jan's
just going to have to be able to hurt the others by going longer at his
pace, if not he's screwed near the tops of the climbs again when
someone has a little left to go.
I think that they are really close to the end as a major player unless
they find a way to retool with good young riders, and I'm not sure how
their budget is these days. If he's really in shape this should be a
good year for him, maybe the last good one. Teams and racers have been
really agressive and I think that could play right into his strength by
keeping the pace high for long periods.
Either way we're getting to watch some really great racers wind down
the ir careers. I'm really enjoying this season.
Bill C

Old May 19th 05, 09:15 PM
Kurgan Gringioni

Tom wrote:
The Tour de France. Telekom is committed to getting the win for Jan.
If they were smart, they'd leave Zabel at home for the Tour and
completely concentrate on Jan. That would stink, but that's what

they
should do instead of trying to get stage wins for Zabel. Get another
mountain support rider in there to help out old Jan in the high
mountains.

Dumbass -

In past years, 1 extra rider for Jan would have made zero difference.

In the meantime, in past years, Zabel was the UCI #1 rider.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Old May 19th 05, 10:24 PM
Bob Schwartz

Bill C wrote:

Tom wrote:
The Tour de France. Telekom is committed to getting the win for Jan.
If they were smart, they'd leave Zabel at home for the Tour and
completely concentrate on Jan. That would stink, but that's what

they
should do instead of trying to get stage wins for Zabel. Get another
mountain support rider in there to help out old Jan in the high
mountains.

Tom

I'm not sure that they have enough faith in Jan to put everything into
his lap. I'm not sure they're willing to go take that risk of Jan
breaking again. At least with Wesseman and Zabel around they have some
damage control available if they need it.

Zabel's last stage win was 2002. He isn't a player there or in the
Points competition. Part of managing your career as you age is
focusing on the races where you can make a difference. JaJa and
Museeuw are great examples of this. Ekimov too, with respect to
the Tour. He has a defined role in the team, and he is fits that
role for Discovery better than Zabel is likely to fit any role for
T-Mobile.

There are great races in the fall. I'd give Zabel July off.

Bob Schwartz

Old May 20th 05, 01:01 AM
trg

Judging from their performances, Ullrich was there to fall back on in case
Zabel had an off year

"Bill C" a écrit dans le message de
oups.com...

Old May 20th 05, 02:16 AM
Bill C

Bob Schwartz wrote:
Bill C wrote:

Tom wrote:
[...]

Bob, I think a large part of this is that Zabel is the number one man
in Germany and he's always competitive. Erik is the "common man"
working his ass off for results and people relate to that. Jan is the
pampered former East German prodigy who is a partier, headcase and
doesn't work hard enough.
I'm ducking because of the **** I've taken for even questioning Jan
from the Telekom team people. Unfortunately I've lost the connection to
the team and I don't know what's going on now inside the team, but Erik
is a popular hero and Jan is the "star".
I think Erik can win the Green again this year. He's got great form
and he's motivated since I'm convinced this is his last year.
For most Germans, from my experience, the hard working craftsman,
which Erik is, is greater than the Phenom with failings which Jan is.
Just hoping that Jan get's it done and Erik grabs the Green too.
Bill C

Old May 20th 05, 04:53 AM
Carl Sundquist

"Bill C" wrote in message

Bob, I think a large part of this is that Zabel is the number one man
in Germany and he's always competitive. Erik is the "common man"
working his ass off for results and people relate to that. Jan is the
pampered former East German prodigy who is a partier, headcase and
doesn't work hard enough.

I'm pretty sure Zabel was East German, too.

Old May 20th 05, 08:00 AM
Tuschinski

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
Tom wrote:
The Tour de France. Telekom is committed to getting the win for

Jan.
If they were smart, they'd leave Zabel at home for the Tour and
completely concentrate on Jan. That would stink, but that's what

they
should do instead of trying to get stage wins for Zabel. Get

another
mountain support rider in there to help out old Jan in the high
mountains.

Dumbass -

In past years, 1 extra rider for Jan would have made zero difference.

In the meantime, in past years, Zabel was the UCI #1 rider.

thanks,

K. Gringioni

Exactly

And.... Zabel has always done plenty of work for Jan. Erik is a fine
TTT rider and definitely classy enough to hang on for a few mountains.
Besides that, he takes some pressure of the other riders backs.

Old May 20th 05, 08:06 AM
Kenny

I think Erik can win the Green again this year. He's got great form
and he's motivated since I'm convinced this is his last year.

Bill C

R U crazy? The podium of the green jersey is already known: McEwen,
Hushovd, Boonen. But i don't know in which order.

Kenny