anti puncture , what is best?

Old February 21st 12, 01:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ERSHC

Default anti puncture , what is best?

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 14:48:53 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Yes, they rub the tire, but if set up correctly do very little to slow the
spin.

Do you know where you can still get tire savers? One of mine has worn
through and I'd like to replace it.

If you just need to replace a "sweeper", find the right spoke and bend away.
That's what I've done the last two replacements.

They used to be sold locally by Kingsbridge Cycle Supply in Yonkers NY USA.
Kingsbridge is still there (according to the web), but I don't know if they
still sell them. The shops here that used to carry them no longer do.
Old February 21st 12, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ERSHC

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 16:36:39 -0700, wrote:

Or you can ponder why the once-popular items vanished from the market.

Car tire scrapers vanished even sooner:
http://tinyurl.com/6ocg9dc
http://tinyurl.com/7m3vmdq

Note that the car tires they were used on (in those pictures) had thin
casings without treads. I'd not be surprised if they dissapeard from
cars around when cars started to use thick treads. Tire savers are
ineffective in the recessed part of the tread and potentially
dangerous on a tire with knobbies.
Old February 21st 12, 02:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Feb 20, 6:36*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 14:48:53 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot

wrote:
On Feb 19, 6:05*pm, ERSHC wrote:
:

Riding a racing bike for commute (700c x 25/28) , what is the best anti
puncture measures?

Or rather, I like to know what works for you?

I am also looking for what gives the best rollings resistants performance.

I know my question is broad , but I rather not make a bias by asking
about a particular product .

Chris , Copenhagen

I seem to have nothing but old-tech answers, but I still ride with
Tire Savers (a.k.a. flint catchers). I used to ride tubulars in NYC,
now I commute on 700cx28s. I almost never get puncture flats, in
fact the last 3 flats were "old tube" flats (valve stem abrasion from
the edge of the hole in the rim), and that in the space of 8 or so years
at 50 mi/wk.

Yes, they rub the tire, but if set up correctly do very little to slow the
spin.

Do you know where you can still get tire savers? One of mine has worn
through and I'd like to replace it.

Thanks and cheers

Dear SR,

You can make tire scrapers yourself with some pliers and wire. Use
what you have as a model.

Or you can look for tire scrapers on ebay, about $14 with shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-Mounte...per-VINTAGE-/1...

Or you can ponder why the once-popular items vanished from the market.

It occurs to me, I used them about until the time I learned to ride
more lane-centered. It's possible that reduced my flat frequency to
the point that they were no longer worth even their slight
downsides.

Or perhaps it was the move away from glass bottles - especially for
cheap beer - causing a reduction in glass shards in the road. Every
time I see a smashed plastic bottle in the road, I smile.

Of course, I'd give tire savers a serious try if I rode, say, in a
place where goats head thorns were common. But that's just me. ;-)

- Frank Krygowski
Old February 21st 12, 03:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:
On Feb 19, 6:05*pm, ERSHC wrote:
:

[...]

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

That bicycle tire scraper is exactly like the ones I have. However
$17.95 US for shipping is a bit much. I'll try making a replacement
skimmer before I buy those.

Thanks abd cheers
Old February 21st 12, 10:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M5usr[_2_]

On 02/19/2012 12:31 PM, M5usr wrote:
Gd morning

Riding a racing bike for commute (700c x 25/28) , what is the best anti
puncture measures?

Or rather, I like to know what works for you?

I am also looking for what gives the best rollings resistants performance.

I know my question is broad , but I rather not make a bias by asking
about a particular product .

Chris , Copenhagen

Well thank you all so much . You gave me a good overview blended with
great confusion . As stated : there are no right solution. is
probably as right as it can be.

I ride now on a panaracer Kevlar 23x700 with reflex sidewall . It is
years old and need replacement . I ride up to 2x 30km a day ( not every
day) and have had very few punctures . However always a puncture when
it is least convenient . The tire also feels slow.

As one wrote: I can compensate for a slow bike but not for a puncture.
I believe this is also my case when commuting .

It is a problem to puncture in very bad weather and low temperature . So
I thought maybe this "slime" anti puncture liquid would be the answer.

With the introduction of tubeless ready MTB tires , maybe this liquid
has been improved-

99% of my punctures are due to small flint-stone , so the device you
call a "tire skimmer" might also be worth trying . Any design advise for
such a device?

It would be nice to make a controlled test for various tires and anti
puncture measures under various weather/temperature conditions.

Old February 21st 12, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 11:49:05 +0100, M5usr wrote:

99% of my punctures are due to small flint-stone , so the device you
call a "tire skimmer" might also be worth trying . Any design advise for
such a device?

It would be nice to make a controlled test for various tires and anti
puncture measures under various weather/temperature conditions.

Dear M,

Think about how often a flint chip will be stuck into a tire deeply
enough to be picked up off the road, yet not so deeply that a small
wire brushing the tire would be able to pull it out.

For a simple test, push a chip into a small cut on a tire, sit on the
bike, and roll the loaded tire over the ground once to drive the chip
into place and mimic how the debris would actually be picked up.

Then try to brush it off by lightly dragging a wire over the surface.

You'll probably find that brushing with a rounded wire almost never
removes a small chip stuck into a rubber tire.

You can try again with a true scraper-style thin piece of metal, but
even a knife blade doesn't do much good when held flat against a tire.

As for a controlled test, it's probably not worth the fuss.

Millions of riders used the once-popular tire scrapers, but the
devices gradually vanished from the anti-flat market.

Meanwhile, slime sealants, thicker thorn-resistant inner tubes, Mr.
Tuffy plastic strips, and built-in kevlar belts are still selling
briskly.

It's as if generations of riders slowly realized that tire scrapers
don't really work.

Sort of like tying and soldering.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old February 21st 12, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

breep valo

yup. penetrationholdingpeersingair loss.
either cure the start or finish for a weight weenie or both for those
who go from A to B without spending time at C
your choice.

tire scrapers may originate from a softer rubber contact patch
millewe ? where the spiked beer glass shard would adhere then work
in...

Old February 21st 12, 07:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Feb 21, 5:49*am, M5usr wrote:

Well thank you all so much . You gave me a good overview blended with
great confusion

That's what we're here for! ;-)

I ride now on a panaracer Kevlar 23x700 with reflex sidewall . It is
years old and need replacement . *I ride up to 2x 30km a day ( not every
day) *and have had very few punctures . However always a puncture when
it is least convenient . The tire also feels slow.

The kevlar tires I've used seemed quite sluggish, too. I gave up
using them.

99% of my punctures are due to small flint-stone , so the device you
call a "tire skimmer" might also be worth trying . Any design advise for
such a device?

They are very simple devices. The photos shown so far should tell you
all you need, I think.

But I'll mention an alternative. Grant Peterson, who runs Rivendell
Bicycles, has suggested using a leather shoelace draped loosely over
the tire's top surface and tied to something at the left and right
side of the bike.

Admittedly, I've never tried that. And admittedly, GP seems to give
many bonus points for any trick using organic materials! He's a big
fan of leather, wool, twine, beeswax, etc.

It would be nice to make a controlled test for various tires and anti
puncture measures under various weather/temperature conditions.

Yes, but rather difficult to control the test, I think. We all seem to
agree that flats are rare for us (Carl excepted), so it would take a
long time to accumulate good data in normal riding. You might smash
your own glass and sprinkle it on pavement as a test strip, I suppose,
then ride it over and over with different anti-puncture treatments.
Sounds tedious and boring, though, and given the relative rarity of
flats, not practically worth the effort.

- Frank Krygowski

First puncture. Simon Mason[_2_] UK 1 October 30th 08 08:47 PM
Howard Stern doing talmud work - anti-gentile anti-family LIBERATOR Mountain Biking 0 March 20th 08 11:33 PM
anti-puncture strategies barry.webster3 UK 31 August 5th 04 10:06 AM
First puncture. Simon Mason UK 4 November 8th 03 08:38 PM
Puncture! Lee UK 9 September 18th 03 03:56 PM