Cycling Norwich to Wales

Old July 8th 07, 12:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Steph Peters

Default Bridgewater canal (Was: Cycling Norwich to Wales)

Peter Scandrett of www.scandrett.net wrote:

Hi

Steph Peters wrote on 20/06/2007 23:54:
http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/cycling.html
http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/bww.html

I hadn't heard about the new project - will be good news for me when it's
done. Out to Dunham along the canal and back along the TransPennine
Bridleway makes a good ride with very little roads so suitable for kids who
are too young for roads (provided they can be trusted not to fall in).

I emailed the address given on the pages above when the thread was
posted. I got this reply today, which is interesting...

"I can confirm that cycling is not permitted on the towpath of the
Bridgewater Canal because it is not maintained to a standard suitable
for cycling. However, as we obtain funding to improve the towpath under
the scheme known as Bridgewater Way cycling on those improved sections
will subject to a local risk assessment be available for cycling.

We are currently discussing a scheme with Sustrans known as Trafford
connect2. This scheme if Sustrans are successful in a Living Landmarks
bid will make funding available to complete the section between
Stretford and Sale Waterside Council offices.

Our website will be updated shortly to keep you informed of progress."

Thanks Peter. Stretford to Sale didn't have any no cycling signs until one
or two bridges short of Sale Council offices last time that I rode there,
but that was probably over a year ago. However before anyone gets too
excited, that's a distance of no more than 2 miles. I want the next 10 or
so as well to make a round circuit ride or to use the canal to cut through
the urban sprawl out into the countryside.
--
Steph Peters
Chorlton Wanderers Cycling Group
Old July 9th 07, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TerryJ

I hadn't heard about the new project - will be good news for me when it's
done. Out to Dunham along the canal and back along the TransPennine
Bridleway makes a good ride with very little roads so suitable for kids who
are too young for roads (provided they can be trusted not to fall in).

I emailed the address given on the pages above when the thread was
posted. I got this reply today, which is interesting...

"I can confirm that cycling is not permitted on the towpath of the
Bridgewater Canal because it is not maintained to a standard suitable
for cycling. However, as we obtain funding to improve the towpath under

I sometimes stay in Bowdon and my usual route to town is straight up
the Bridgewater canal.On getting to the mersey valley you can use that
to go west/east.
Before using the canal for the first time I asked a policeman by
phoning the traffic dept..The two I spoke to said some of the bobbies
cycle to work that way and as long one is reasonable they could not
imagine a pc taking any interest.You would have difficulty with a
fully loaded tourer and a couple of the gates and obstructions south
of trafford town hall( where the pub specifically requires that you
dress like Alan Partridge, no sports gear).
After Bowdon towards Dunham I do not know what happens.
If you go this way study the cahnge from the mersey valley route onto
the canal path before you get there as it is not obvious.

TerryJ

Old July 9th 07, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Steph Peters

TerryJ of http://groups.google.com wrote:
Before using the canal for the first time I asked a policeman by
phoning the traffic dept..The two I spoke to said some of the bobbies
cycle to work that way and as long one is reasonable they could not
imagine a pc taking any interest.

Exactly what I would have assumed. However some of the walkers on the
towpath, even when given way to courteously, can be a very stroppy bunch.

After Bowdon towards Dunham I do not know what happens.

Gets a bit narrow as you head towards Dunham, but rideable to Dunham which
is where I get off to go to a pub for lunch.

If you go this way study the cahnge from the mersey valley route onto
the canal path before you get there as it is not obvious.

See above :-) The tricky bit of the Trans Pennine bridleway is getting
across the open swampy tracks over Carrington Moss. Plenty of scope for
getting lost and ending up in a pond.
--
Steph Peters
Chorlton Wanderers Cycling Group
Monthly slow and easy rides from South Manchester
http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/cycling/chwan.htm

Cycling from South Wales to London Keith Willoughby UK 24 October 27th 06 04:35 PM
Cycling in north Wales for a not-quite-beginner Peter Scandrett UK 30 October 8th 06 06:57 PM
The danger of cycling in Wales Just Visiting UK 1 September 27th 06 08:40 AM
Cycling in Norwich Tony Raven UK 8 December 24th 05 11:41 PM
Free Guide to Cycling in Wales Pete Biggs UK 2 October 2nd 05 10:31 AM