Throwing down the gauntlet

Old December 4th 07, 07:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Throwing down the gauntlet

Hi All,

Next year is going to be my breakout year.

Here are my results from this year for events I care about:

Vestfold Rundt: 165km hilly with some flat in the middle in 4:42
(winners 4:10)
Baglerrunden: 62km hilly in 1:44 (winners 1:34)
Trondheim-Oslo: 540km in 18:40 (winners 14:??)
Melfar24: 592km in 24 hours on rolling hills (winner 720km)
local ITT: 10km on road bike in 14:56
local road races: I got dropped in all 5 or 6 I entered.

So I need some motivational numbers to strive for. I need some goals
and wagers from all you retards to set the bar, merciless crowd that
you are, I think this will help.

Joseph
Old December 4th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
SLAVE of THE STATE

On Dec 4, 11:24 am, "
wrote:
Hi All,

Next year is going to be my breakout year.

Here are my results from this year for events I care about:

Vestfold Rundt: 165km hilly with some flat in the middle in 4:42
(winners 4:10)
Baglerrunden: 62km hilly in 1:44 (winners 1:34)
Trondheim-Oslo: 540km in 18:40 (winners 14:??)
Melfar24: 592km in 24 hours on rolling hills (winner 720km)
local ITT: 10km on road bike in 14:56
local road races: I got dropped in all 5 or 6 I entered.

So I need some motivational numbers to strive for. I need some goals
and wagers from all you retards to set the bar, merciless crowd that
you are, I think this will help.

Strive for #1. It is the only number that matters.

Don't go to races and have them be the hardest thing you've done.
Train with people who are better than you such that they put the hurt
on you week in and week out. Suffer. The training rides should be
very similar to an actual race. Then when you get to the dorky low
category race, it will seem very easy. It worked for me. You can
always upgrade to your level of incompetance later.

Good luck.

Oh yeah,... slim down.
Old December 5th 07, 05:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

wrote in message

Next year is going to be my breakout year.

Remember this - next year is ALWAYS easier than this year. As you gain
experience you gain fitness and it all means that you find where you can
ride.

Good luck and I hope you don't find your level for a long time.

Old December 5th 07, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
williepoo

Train high and race even higher.This is something that Bob Roll has
discussed in depth.
Old December 5th 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

wrote:

Hi All,

Next year is going to be my breakout year.

Here are my results from this year for events I care about:

Vestfold Rundt: 165km hilly with some flat in the middle in 4:42
(winners 4:10)
Baglerrunden: 62km hilly in 1:44 (winners 1:34)
Trondheim-Oslo: 540km in 18:40 (winners 14:??)
Melfar24: 592km in 24 hours on rolling hills (winner 720km)
local ITT: 10km on road bike in 14:56
local road races: I got dropped in all 5 or 6 I entered.

So I need some motivational numbers to strive for. I need some goals
and wagers from all you retards to set the bar, merciless crowd that
you are, I think this will help.

Joseph

Unless you are making money from racing or you are under 25 years of
age, you will find no worthwhile motivational speech from me to race
your bike. That's why top pros who retire don't compete in master's
categories.

Racing for "fun" is stupid and not even a top pro could find the
incentive (or logical reason) to put in the necessary training and
travelling when the benefit is NOTHING.

So if you want to ride faster, the first thing you need to learn is you
cannot fabricate motivation when there really is none. Amateur racing
has NO MOTIVATIONAL INCENTIVE unless you're still young and have the
desire to do that sort of thing. It can be fun if you're in college or
travelling with some buddies. But once you get to a certain age, racing
is stupid, and a complete waste of time.

Once you lose incentive, don't bother trying to invent one because there
really never was a worthwhile one to begin with.

Of course, you can do what most people in here do: ride 100 miles/week
and spend $2,500 on a power meter and then drive 110 miles at 5 a.m. to
a parking lot crit to compete for $250. And in the process, you can
risk crashing and causing $1,250 in equipment damage and maybe another
$3,000 in hospital bills.

If you win a lot, you can go around and tell everyone you're the No. 2
ranked Cat 3 in your district and think that actually means something in
life.

Magilla
Old December 5th 07, 05:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Dec 5, 5:55 pm, MagillaGorilla wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I think they don't race because they are either burned out, or afraid
they'll get their asses kicked.

Racing for "fun" is stupid and not even a top pro could find the
incentive (or logical reason) to put in the necessary training and
travelling when the benefit is NOTHING.

So if you want to ride faster, the first thing you need to learn is you
cannot fabricate motivation when there really is none. Amateur racing
has NO MOTIVATIONAL INCENTIVE unless you're still young and have the
desire to do that sort of thing. It can be fun if you're in college or
travelling with some buddies. But once you get to a certain age, racing
is stupid, and a complete waste of time.

I have big fun at my events and on training rides with the guys (who
are all faster than me). That in itself is enough to keep doing it.
But it would be more fun to not get dropped...

Once you lose incentive, don't bother trying to invent one because there
really never was a worthwhile one to begin with.

I don't need motivation, I need something to help me not make excuses.
All the guys I ride with try to be supportive, but all they really see
is that I get dropped, and say "good job!" when I roll across the line
and they are already in their cars. I tell myself I want to be able to
hang with them, but when I have my own personal goal posts, it's too
easy for me to make changes and justifications along the way to
accomodate my laziness. I figure putting it in a public forum like
this will help me keep my focus. Folks reminding me in a few months
about what a big talker I was, why no results?

Of course, you can do what most people in here do: ride 100 miles/week
and spend $2,500 on a power meter and then drive 110 miles at 5 a.m. to
a parking lot crit to compete for $250. And in the process, you can
risk crashing and causing $1,250 in equipment damage and maybe another
$3,000 in hospital bills.

No crits for me! And I go at more like 200 per week. And anyway I have
a $100 deductible on my bike insurance for any damage for any reason.
Not that that is what keeps me from falling every chance I can get.
But as much as I'm curious about what it would say, I'm with you on
the powermeter. I just need to ride more and lose weight. No PhD
required.

If you win a lot, you can go around and tell everyone you're the No. 2
ranked Cat 3 in your district and think that actually means something in
life.

If that doesn't mean something in life, what does? ;-)

Joseph

Old December 5th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mark Fennell

MagillaGorilla pontificated:
[...]

At the risk of giving Magilla an even bigger head and a big gorilla boner, I
have to admit his posts are providing some damn good rbr entertainment for
this reader.

Unfortunately, I've failed to take his advice above in almost every respect,
so now I'm out the door for a good 3-hour ride... (btw, thanks Greg...
you're supporting me too)

Mark
http://marcofanelli.blogspot.com

Old December 5th 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Santana,

It sounds to me like you're not training correctly.

Most guys serious about racing hate their training partners and
teammates. One of the reasons I love riding with guys who race is to
hear them talk about how much they hate their current and old teammates
and how pathetic these arguments get about so-and-so "not leading me out
for the lap 15 prime like we planned in the team meeting." My favorite
arguments are the ones where the one guy accuses the "A-team leaders" on
the Saturday group ride of hammering when one of the slower riders on
the B-team stops to take a leak. Attacking people on group rides when
they flat or have to water the plants is probably one of the most
beautiful traditions that define the sport of amateur cycling.

If you ride with people who are friendly and courteous, then chances are
they're not Type A enough to be any good at racing and you should go
find yourself some real a-holes to teach you (95% of all bike races fit
this description) so you can learn how to act more like a real a-hole
bike racer.

Thanks,

Magilla
Old December 5th 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Joey Joey Joey...what you need is some EPO and a box of testosterone
patches. You should ramp your hematocrit up to around 61 and hit the
T-patch right after coming off a block of 350-mile weeks. And then
nonchalantly show up to the Saturday morning group ride and KICK THE
**** out of everyone and then tell them you didn't even touch your bike
for the past 2 weeks.

You need a little more style and attitude before you can hope to become
a solid amateur racer.

Magilla

Old December 5th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

williepoo wrote:

Train high and race even higher.This is something that Bob Roll has
discussed in depth.

Marijuana won't help your power, Boston George. Which is why I advise
aspiring racers to do as Juan Pablo Castro did (Cat II from NY), which
is to smuggle cocaine in your rectum and then try to board an
international flight, get caught, and then spend several years in the
bighouse.

I'm JT knows the details better than me.

Magilla