Liggett questions Ullrich's sportsmanship

Old July 22nd 03, 12:42 AM
Heinz Getzler

Default Liggett questions Ullrich's sportsmanship

(Tony Ortega) wrote in message . com...
In his daily diary entry today, Phil Liggett suggested that Jan should
not have felt obliged to wait after Lance crashed on the climb up
Luz-Ardiden. Everyone, of course, remembers the incident two years
ago, when Lance waited after Jan went off the road on a descent.
Rather than take advantage of Jan's spill, Lance waited for the German
to catch up.

But Phil points out that that moment came on a descent, and that it
happened at a less crucial time: "Two years ago, it was a great
gesture, but of little importance to the race ? they were going
downhill. This time, Ullrich lost all his rhythm and he can never
accelerate like Lance." (
http://www.olntv.com/tdf03/liggett15.html)

I guess Phil's suggesting that Jan's desire to win a second Tour
should have outweighed his feelings of fair play. That's not very
sporting, is it, Phil?

Seems to me I also noticed Tyler Hamilton yelling at Jan and the
others to make sure everyone held up for Lance to get back.

Given how close the race is I don't think that Jan should have waited
for Lance. What Jan should have done is to continue at his present
pace and or let the pack determine the pace.

That was some race this morning.

Tony Ortega
Phoenix, Arizona

Old July 22nd 03, 12:45 AM
Drew Saunders

In article ,
"Nick Burns" wrote:

"Joseph Cipale" wrote in message

snip
I am also ordering
the DVD (extended play) the minute it is available.

**** yeah!

Pre-order now, $90 but probably worth it. URL From hell:
http://www.worldcycling.com/merchant...Code=WCP&Produ
ct_Code=TDFD03X&Category_Code=TDFGEAR

or, go to http://www.worldcycling.com/ and do a product search on
TDFD03X

Drew

--
Drew W. Saunders

dru (at) stanford (dot) eee dee you
Old July 22nd 03, 12:47 AM
Ed Hill

Default Tyler's Grandstanding

Seems to me I also noticed Tyler Hamilton yelling at Jan and the
others to make sure everyone held up for Lance to get back.

At the time, I thought it was funny seeing little wounded Tyler waving
his one useful wing after Jan had clearly slowed down. Tyler would have
never had the chance to get to the front if Jan had not slowed in the
first place since Tyler was barely hanging on to the back of the train
at the time.

But it was annoying to read this quote from Tyler: "...after Lance
crashed, the other guys kept on going, but it's an unwritten rule
that if the Maillot Jaune crashes, you give him a chance to get back. I
didn't feel like other guys were waiting, so it was MY RESPONSIBILITY to
go up front and tell them to slow down and wait a few seconds."
(http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003...esults/stage15)

Gag me with a spoon! I think Tyler is getting a little delirious from
the combination of weigh loss and pain killers. Jan has already been
screwed out of 2nd after pulling Mayo's sorry ass up the last two cols
and now Tyler is acting like a pompous little jerk by not recognizing
Jan's sportsmanship.

Ed

Old July 22nd 03, 01:25 AM
Keith

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:47:31 -0400, Ed Hill
wrote:

[...]

Yeah shoot the dwarf

Old July 22nd 03, 01:51 AM
Brian Phillips

"Just a Cyclist" wrote

Yes another whinner.................

If you're trying to spell WINNER, it's W-I-N-N-E-R.
If you're trying to spell WHINER, it's W-H-I-N-E-R.

At any rate, I think it's interesting when someone who's never competed at
that level criticizes someone like Tyler, who's riding extremely strong,
regardless of his broken collarbone.... Walk a mile in his shoes.

Old July 22nd 03, 01:59 AM
jason

I was wondering about Armstrong's sportsmanship. How long did he wait
before attacking the group that waited?

Jason

Old July 22nd 03, 02:14 AM
Robert Oliver

"jason" wrote in message
om...
I was wondering about Armstrong's sportsmanship. How long did he wait
before attacking the group that waited?

Approximately 1 minute after Lance rolled up behind Ullrich an attack was
launched, but it was not Lance that initiated it, it was Mayo. Lance
responded and left everyone behind.

Old July 22nd 03, 02:30 AM
Nick Burns

"Ed Hill" wrote in message
[...]

"painkillers"? Right. Have you ever snorted Tylenol? It really goes to your
head man.

Old July 22nd 03, 03:22 AM
Arthur Ogus

In article , Ed Hill
wrote:

[...]

I think Ligget and/or Sherwin said something about Hamitlon speaking
to the guys at the front.
Ed

Old July 22nd 03, 04:22 AM
Just a Cyclist

"Brian Phillips" wrote in message
rthlink.net...

"Just a Cyclist" wrote

Yes another whinner.................

If you're trying to spell WINNER, it's W-I-N-N-E-R.
If you're trying to spell WHINER, it's W-H-I-N-E-R.

At any rate, I think it's interesting when someone who's never competed at
that level criticizes someone like Tyler, who's riding extremely strong,
regardless of his broken collarbone.... Walk a mile in his shoes.

I agree walk a mile in his shoes....... and thanks oh great english teacher
of the net......... "whiner"