Velonews defends the pursuit - and I god damn agree 100%

Old November 21st 09, 07:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Susan Walker

Default Velonews defends the pursuit - and I god damn agree 100%

Bob Schwartz wrote:
P.Chisholm wrote:
The difference is that women can compete equally with men in sailing.
This is Olympic Title 9 in action. Sailing, now THAT'S an exciting
spectator sport....ZZZZZZ.

Another big difference is that there are no venue construction
costs in sailing.

Another big difference is that sailing attracts a lot of sponsorship money.
Old November 21st 09, 07:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

On Nov 19, 9:09*am, Scott wrote:
On Nov 19, 7:59*am, Brad Anders wrote:

On Nov 18, 7:25*pm, z wrote:

Your $200M figure is so crazy, especially for a 6000 seat facility, I
had to check for myself.

I found this:http://www.nce.co.uk/2012-olympic-ve...5m/1991495.art...

Google says 105M Pounds Sterling is $175M USD, so my figure was high
(I'd seen 110M Pounds Sterling - $183M USD), rounding up to $200M
isn't fair, sorry.

At $175M for 6000 seats, that's ~$29K a seat.

Brad Anders

Sounds like stimulus math to me.

Some canadians bought the 80k seat in detroit for about the cost of 20
seats.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/11/...-sells-for-58/

Old November 21st 09, 07:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

On Nov 21, 1:17*pm, Susan Walker wrote:
Bob Schwartz wrote:
P.Chisholm wrote:
The difference is that women can compete equally with men in sailing.
This is Olympic Title 9 in action. Sailing, now THAT'S an exciting
spectator sport....ZZZZZZ.

Another big difference is that there are no venue construction
costs in sailing.

Another big difference is that sailing attracts a lot of sponsorship money.

We will put giant sails with advertising on each rider. Let's see
those cats break 6 minutes after that.
Old November 22nd 09, 05:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article
,
Anton Berlin wrote:

Well then what event do you propose for cyclists that can't sprint,
can't corner, can't climb, don't like lifiting weights, have no
endurance and are afraid of crashing?

Recumbent drag race on beach sand.

--
Michael Press
Old November 22nd 09, 05:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article
,
"P.Chisholm" wrote:

On Nov 18, 11:38ツ*am, William Asher wrote:
MagillaGorilla wrote:
Brad Anders wrote:

On Nov 17, 11:41ツ*am, MagillaGorilla wrote:
Anton Berlin wrote:
Well then what event do you propose for cyclists that can't
sprint, can't corner, can't climb, don't like lifiting weights,
have no endurance and are afraid of crashing?

LOL

Track racing doesn't belong in the Olympics. ツ*It's a gay-ass sport
and has no sustainability outside of the Olympics. ツ*How many
athletes make a livable wage doing track cycling in the United
States...maybe 20? There's only like 5 ****ing velodromes in the
entire United States...imagine if there were only 5 baseball fields
in the United States and then tried to sell baseball as an national
pastime? ツ*It doesn't pass the laugh test.

How many velodromes are there in Africa or China or Russia....like
2 or 3 in each country? ツ*Ask yourself how many swimming pools or
running tracks there are in those same countries (hundreds if not
thousands...one at every high school and country). ツ*Velodromes have
no such prominence and are this nothing more then gerbil wheels.

Track cycling is for ****ed up people who aspire to be gerbils. ツ* I
hope the town council in Allentown votes one day to bulldoze
Trexlertown and turn it into a goddamn parking lot or a strip
mall....something that can better serve the public than a gerbil
wheel full of doped-up gerbils (and hamsters).

I think curling is a more legitimate sport than track cycling.

How do you like them apples?

Magilla

An additional reason why the IOC is gradually squeezing out track
cycling is the cost associated with the host city having to build a
velodrome. The London velodrome is estimated to cost $200M, for an
event that draws a limited number of spectators and generates little
TV audience.

The Olympics is about making money, and track cycling isn't cutting
it.

BTW, I went to several track events at the Atlanta Olympics. Other
than the sprint finals with Marty, I never saw the velodrome more
than about 1/2 full, and in comparison with other facilities, the
Atlanta track wasn't very impressive, certainly no $200M facility.

FWIW, unlike the frothing monkey, I like track cycling. But it's sure
drawing on a small and dwindling pool of talent. Unless something
changes, it's doomed

Brad Anders

Track cycling should be banned from the Olympics not because it fails
to generate crowds or gate receipts at the Games, but because it's
simply not a sport with enough internationap participation. ツ*You
cannot convince me that having 1 or 2 velodromes per country satifies
the definition of an international sport.

I wonder if there are more countries with velodromes than there are
countries with marinas that hold regular Finn regattas. ツ*

The difference is that women can compete equally with men in sailing.
This is Olympic Title 9 in action. Sailing, now THAT'S an exciting
spectator sport....ZZZZZZ.

It is if you have sailed.
You can learn to read the
wind and water; develop
a sense for wind shifts.
Best enjoyed at the venue,
preferably on the water.

--
Michael Press
Old November 22nd 09, 09:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro[_5_]

Anton Berlin wrote:
We will put giant sails with advertising on each rider. Let's see
those cats break 6 minutes after that.

You'd better ask Magilla to mount your brakes for when you're going
downhill with the wind (or ask resident sailing expert Press to teach
you how to tack).
Old November 22nd 09, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

On Nov 22, 3:19*am, Donald Munro wrote:
Anton Berlin wrote:
We will put giant sails with advertising on each rider. * Let's see
those cats break 6 minutes after that.

You'd better ask Magilla to mount your brakes for when you're going
downhill with the wind (or ask resident sailing expert Press to teach
you how to tack).

Putting brakes on front or the rear of the seatstays on every
trackbike would raise the fan base. Amerikans love the blood sport.
Old November 22nd 09, 07:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro[_5_]

Anton Berlin wrote:
Putting brakes on front or the rear of the seatstays on every
trackbike would raise the fan base. Amerikans love the blood sport.

Ah, Track bikes. Ok, do you really expect me to keep up with rbr thread
context; I don't have enough virtual memory for that. Anyway if you want
to make it interesting put the brakes and freewheel on the bike ridden
by the squirreliest or fredliest rider and not on any of the others.

Old November 23rd 09, 04:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Michael Press wrote:

In article
,

Anton Berlin wrote:
[...]

Hanging a diaper on a boat to make it go is for faggots. You better stop using
tampons and start shopping in the men's department.

Magilla

Old November 24th 09, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article ,
MagillaGorilla wrote:

Michael Press wrote:

In article
,
"P.Chisholm" wrote:

On Nov 18, 11:38テつ*am, William Asher wrote:
MagillaGorilla wrote:
Brad Anders wrote:

On Nov 17, 11:41テつ*am, MagillaGorilla wrote:
Anton Berlin wrote:
Well then what event do you propose for cyclists that can't
sprint, can't corner, can't climb, don't like lifiting weights,
have no endurance and are afraid of crashing?

LOL

Track racing doesn't belong in the Olympics. テつ*It's a gay-ass sport
and has no sustainability outside of the Olympics. テつ*How many
athletes make a livable wage doing track cycling in the United
States...maybe 20? There's only like 5 ****ing velodromes in the
entire United States...imagine if there were only 5 baseball fields
in the United States and then tried to sell baseball as an national
pastime? テつ*It doesn't pass the laugh test.

How many velodromes are there in Africa or China or Russia....like
2 or 3 in each country? テつ*Ask yourself how many swimming pools or
running tracks there are in those same countries (hundreds if not
thousands...one at every high school and country). テつ*Velodromes have
no such prominence and are this nothing more then gerbil wheels.

Track cycling is for ****ed up people who aspire to be gerbils. テつ* I
[...]

simply not a sport with enough internationap participation. テつ*You
cannot convince me that having 1 or 2 velodromes per country satifies
the definition of an international sport.

I wonder if there are more countries with velodromes than there are
countries with marinas that hold regular Finn regattas. テつ*

The difference is that women can compete equally with men in sailing.
This is Olympic Title 9 in action. Sailing, now THAT'S an exciting
spectator sport....ZZZZZZ.

It is if you have sailed.
You can learn to read the
wind and water; develop
a sense for wind shifts.
Best enjoyed at the venue,
preferably on the water.

Hanging a diaper on a boat to make it go is for faggots. You better stop using
tampons and start shopping in the men's department.

Two words: Ermenegildo Zegna.

--
Michael Press

Vaughters defends... Nobody Racing 4 August 17th 09 02:03 PM
SPAM Canadian Mountain Biker Defends His Illegal trail-Building fEkLaaar Mountain Biking 0 October 28th 06 12:53 AM
SPAM Canadian Mountain Biker Defends His Illegal trail-Building fEkLaaar Social Issues 0 October 28th 06 12:53 AM
TdF: Spoiler: Jens Defends his jersey Simon Brooke UK 18 July 12th 05 11:36 PM