Brighton cyclist ordered to pay £1,000 for ignoring one-way sign

Old January 10th 13, 07:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

Default Brighton cyclist ordered to pay £1,000 for ignoring one-way sign

On 09/01/2013 23:26, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

And it's best to check for pigs before driving the wrong way - I did it
every working day for two years to avoid a queue in roadworks. Got
nicked precisely 0 times. I only had 3 occurrences of another drive
shaking his fist.

Easy to say but sometimes the police can be difficult to spot. I didn't
manage it once and got stopped with extreme prejudice.
Old January 10th 13, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 10:03:48 +0000, John Benn wrote:

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
I wonder what grounds the cyclist thought he had to make a crown court
appeal against a thirty quid fine?

http://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2...clist-ordered-

to-pay-1000-for-ignoring-one-way-sign/18741

Excellent news. Serves the arrogant tosser right. He won't do that
again in a hurry.

Do you wanna bet?

--
Life is a venereal disease with 100% mortality.
Old January 10th 13, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mentalguy2k8[_2_]

"Lieutenant Scott" wrote in message
newsp.wqn3e5lvytk5n5@i7-940...

A car going the wrong way can cause a nasty accident. A bicycle won't.

It might, depending on the evasive action drivers have to take.

Old January 10th 13, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Weissel

On 10/01/2013 13:39, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

"Lieutenant Scott" wrote in message
newsp.wqn3e5lvytk5n5@i7-940...

A car going the wrong way can cause a nasty accident. A bicycle won't.

It might, depending on the evasive action drivers have to take.

It would take a brave cyclist to cycle in such a way that they rely on
drivers crashing into something else rather than hit them.

Drivers often overtake on blind stretches of road, even if there are
double white lines. If something was to come the other way, I suspect
the driver would sacrifice the cyclist rather then risk a head-on.

Old January 10th 13, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 09/01/2013 20:25, Lieutenant Scott wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 21:21:50 -0000, Mentalguy2k8
wrote:

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
I wonder what grounds the cyclist thought he had to make a crown court
appeal against a thirty quid fine?

http://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2...way-sign/18741

"The force said that the aim was partly intended to raise awareness
that the
rules of the road apply to motorists and cyclists alike"

It's ridiculous just how many times this has to be said. Either
cyclists are
inherently thick and cannot grasp the simple concept, or they just have
absolutely no regard for the law. Or both.

Or...... cars are bigger and heavier and going the wrong way up a one
way street in a car is FAR more dangerous.

There should be a law against that.....

vehicle fit only for the poor and/or strange," Dave Horton, of Lancaster
University, wrote in an interim assessment of the Understanding Walking
and Cycling study. "For them, cycling is a bit embarrassing, they fail
to see its purpose, and have no interest in integrating it into their
lives, certainly on a regular basis."
Old January 10th 13, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 10/01/2013 17:29, Simon Weissel wrote:
On 10/01/2013 13:39, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

"Lieutenant Scott" wrote in message
newsp.wqn3e5lvytk5n5@i7-940...

A car going the wrong way can cause a nasty accident. A bicycle won't.

It might, depending on the evasive action drivers have to take.

It would take a brave cyclist to cycle in such a way that they rely on
drivers crashing into something else rather than hit them.

Drivers often overtake on blind stretches of road, even if there are
double white lines. If something was to come the other way, I suspect
the driver would sacrifice the cyclist rather then risk a head-on.

You make that sound like a bad thing.

Old January 10th 13, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Weissel

On 10/01/2013 17:45, Dave - Cyclists VOR wrote:
On 10/01/2013 17:29, Simon Weissel wrote:
On 10/01/2013 13:39, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

"Lieutenant Scott" wrote in message
newsp.wqn3e5lvytk5n5@i7-940...

A car going the wrong way can cause a nasty accident. A bicycle won't.

It might, depending on the evasive action drivers have to take.

It would take a brave cyclist to cycle in such a way that they rely on
drivers crashing into something else rather than hit them.

Drivers often overtake on blind stretches of road, even if there are
double white lines. If something was to come the other way, I suspect
the driver would sacrifice the cyclist rather then risk a head-on.

You make that sound like a bad thing.

Depends on where you are in the scenario :-)

Old January 10th 13, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Weissel

wrote:

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
I wonder what grounds the cyclist thought he had to make a crown court
appeal against a thirty quid fine?

http://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2...way-sign/18741

"The force said that the aim was partly intended to raise awareness
that the
rules of the road apply to motorists and cyclists alike"

It's ridiculous just how many times this has to be said. Either
cyclists are
inherently thick and cannot grasp the simple concept, or they just have
absolutely no regard for the law. Or both.

Or...... cars are bigger and heavier and going the wrong way up a one
way street in a car is FAR more dangerous.

There should be a law against that.....

You don’t often see cars going the wrong way up a one-way street.
Cyclists seem to think the law does not apply to them.

Old January 10th 13, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

"Lieutenant Scott" wrote:

A car going the wrong way can cause a nasty accident. A bicycle won't.

It might, depending on the evasive action drivers have to take.

It would take a brave cyclist to cycle in such a way that they rely on
drivers crashing into something else rather than hit them.

Is "brave" the right word?

"Stupid" would be better.

Drivers often overtake on blind stretches of road, even if there are
double white lines. If something was to come the other way, I suspect
the driver would sacrifice the cyclist rather then risk a head-on.

I dare say you're right on that, though it tells us nothing of any real
value.

To be honest, if any of my family were in such a position, I hope they
would choose to survive. Wouldn't you want your family member - or even
yourself - to be the one to survive?

Old January 10th 13, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

wrote:
"Mrcheerful" wrote:

I wonder what grounds the cyclist thought he had to make a crown court
appeal against a thirty quid fine?

http://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2...way-sign/18741

"The force said that the aim was partly intended to raise awareness
that the eules of the road apply to motorists and cyclists alike"

It's ridiculous just how many times this has to be said. Either
cyclists are inherently thick and cannot grasp the simple concept,
or they just have absolutely no regard for the law. Or both.

Or...... cars are bigger and heavier and going the wrong way up a one
way street in a car is FAR more dangerous.

There should be a law against that.....

You don’t often see cars going the wrong way up a one-way street.
Cyclists seem to think the law does not apply to them.

I remember once arriving, late at night, in a street in the centre of
one of those "out-on-the-edge" Midlands towns (Stourbridge, or somewhere
equally attractive). A pedestrian advised me that I was travelling along
a one way street. I took him at his word and turned around and went back
the way I'd been travelling . Couldn't work out how I had ended up in
that situation.