Cycling and vegetarianism

Old September 1st 04, 12:56 PM
Fx199

ummm, fetuses aren't in the vast majority of eggs you buy at the store,
either. they're unfertilized.

you planning on getting a fact right in this thread?
--
david reuteler

I wasn't trying to be exact, the fact is that the product comes directly from
an animal.
It is not fruit nor vegetable.
Kiss my ass, I am not a vegetarian.
Old September 1st 04, 01:39 PM
H. M. Leary

In article ,
David Reuteler wrote:

Fx199 wrote:

This was a choice of preference rather than necessity; I believe that
you can get plenty of quality protein for any physical activity if you
eat soy products, dairy products, and eggs.

eggs are vegetarian now???????

umm, yea.

http://www.ivu.org/faq/definitions.html

aka Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian and it's by far the most common type.

I can eat 50 eggs! - Paul neuman in Cool Hand Luke

Yum,yum!

Old September 1st 04, 01:57 PM
Bob in CT

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 23:58:10 -0400, David L. Johnson
wrote:

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 17:38:34 -0400, Roger Zoul wrote:

Trans-fats are in turkey? Cholesterol in turkey? Gosh.

What's so surprising about that? Of course there is cholesterol in
turkey, along with a lot of fats. I donno specifically about trans-fatty
acids, but I imagine there is some of that, too.

Turkey, that is, farm-raised turkey, is one of the least healthy things
you can eat. Most of those poor birds are juiced up with drugs and
hormones their entire lives. Then the darn meat is also juiced up with
"broth" (so that they sell what is basically water for the same price per
pound as the meat itself), "flavor-enhancing" chemicals, and additional
fat.

If you are going to eat turkey, at least get a free-range bird that is
minimally processed.

Transfats are formed by forcing hydrogen into oils under high pressure.
There are no transfats in turkey. And I buy turkeys without broth but I
put mine in brine.

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply
Old September 1st 04, 01:58 PM
Bill Baka

On 01 Sep 2004 02:02:29 GMT, Fx199 wrote:

This was a choice of preference rather than necessity; I believe that
you can get plenty of quality protein for any physical activity if you
eat soy products, dairy products, and eggs.

eggs are vegetarian now???????

Nobody kills the chicken to extract the egg!!!!
Bill Baka

Old September 1st 04, 02:03 PM
Bob in CT

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 01:40:39 -0500, Preston Crawford

On 2004-09-01, Roger Zoul wrote:
As long as you don't have a problem with it, turkey is great! Other
types
of fish & seafood are good too, like shrimp, catfish, talapia (sp?),
trout,
etc.

I agree with your logic, too.

I appreciate that. This has been a difficult post. I have lost over
160lbs
in my journey. And I've gained back about 28 because of a bad year where
was working long hours at work.

I'm just trying to shed those last 28 lbs. and maybe another 30 and to
finally get down to where I should be. So these discussions about nuts
and
how I'm killing myself by eating fish aren't helping. I'm still
technically obese. So right now the quality of fish I'm eating and the
evils of meat are a distraction.

I'm being open-minded. If there's a low-fat, healthy non-meat solution
then I'm open minded about it. I'll do more research on whey protein, for
example. But my utmost concern right now is my health. It has to be.

Preston

It's my opinion that low fat is unhealthy. I ate low fat for years, and
all it did for me was give me insulin resistance. I switched to low carb
and increased my HDL (now over 40 for the first time ever, regardless of
how much exercise I did on low fat), decreased my triglycerides, decreased
my fasting blood glucose, and have a better total cholesterol/HDL ratio.
Plus, I feel so much better on low carb than I did on low fat. My opinion
is that low fat is a complete sham and a lie.

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply

Old September 1st 04, 02:10 PM
Bill Baka

wrote:

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 17:38:34 -0400, Roger Zoul wrote:

Trans-fats are in turkey? Cholesterol in turkey? Gosh.

What's so surprising about that? Of course there is cholesterol in
turkey, along with a lot of fats. I donno specifically about trans-fatty
acids, but I imagine there is some of that, too.

Turkey, that is, farm-raised turkey, is one of the least healthy things
you can eat. Most of those poor birds are juiced up with drugs and
hormones their entire lives. Then the darn meat is also juiced up with
"broth" (so that they sell what is basically water for the same price per
pound as the meat itself), "flavor-enhancing" chemicals, and additional
fat.

If you are going to eat turkey, at least get a free-range bird that is
minimally processed.

Free range birds are often hard to find. When I do breasts I first remove
all the skin and then whatever fat is bonded to the meat, then the
steaming process melts off most of the remaining fat. What I get is
pretty pure protein that doesn't taste half bad. No seasoning, very
moist, obviously, and good for you. I have to agree with you on the
farmers raising techniques and that is why I avoid beef. The farmers
impress themselves and apparently the FDA inspectors with nice
marbling, which just means a lot of fat in the meat, yuch.
Besides, I don't think there is any significant amount of cholesterol
in bird meat, and trans-fatty acids are primarily from hydrogenated
oil. So if your bird was hydrogenated you can worry, but that doesn't
happen.
Bill Baka

Old September 1st 04, 02:19 PM
the black rose

David L. Johnson wrote:
My list of allergies (wheat, soy, peanuts, milk, eggs) is not uncommon in
the US. Especially soy, since we are so over-exposed to it. I can
tolerate small amounts of milk, eggs, and wheat, but peanuts and soy do me
in. So, I guess I am not a good candidate for a vegetarian diet, which is
OK, since I do like meat.

You sound a bit like me, except for me the allergy to peanuts and soy
isn't a true allergy, it's another enzyme deficiency similar to my
lactose intolerance. I can't digest any legume, period. Beans, peas,
peanuts, they all rip right through me the same way milk products do.

That makes me another one who isn't a good candidate for a vegetarian
diet. Since I can't eat beans or peas or dairy products, if I eliminate
animal products there's nothing left -- or if there is, we're talking
about one hellaciously boring diet.

Like you, I enjoy meat, so it's not a huge deal to me unless I get an
in-your-face militant vegan in my face. Which occasionally happens in
the local organic foods store -- but since I tend to walk in there
wearing a leather jacket, I do kinda bring that on myself.

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie
Old September 1st 04, 02:42 PM
the black rose

Kevan Smith wrote:
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:17:42 -0400, "Roger Zoul" from
Posted via Supernews, http://www.supernews.com wrote:

The trans-fats in turkey are in such amounts as to have no significance.
Dietary cholesterol has little, if any effect on serum cholesterol. You're
listening too much to the anti-animal crowd.

Well, I am a PETA supporter. I am also 30 lbs lighter and riding my bike
faster than ever. You can eat all the nasty meat you want. I'm taking a pass.

Uh huh. That's fine, that's your choice. Calling the dietary choices
of others "nasty" is ill-mannered at best.

I'm allergic to soy, peanuts, beans and peas as well as being lactose
intolerant. Eliminate the "nasty meat" and animal products from my
diet, sir, and just how do I get enough protein to survive, pray tell?

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie