Bottom bracket tool

Old June 15th 05, 11:41 PM
Paul Scrutton

Default Bottom bracket tool

I am working on a 2005 GT Avalanche 3.0 mountain bike that needs a bottom
bracket adjust. I've pulled the bottom bracket lockring, and am now faced
with what looks like a bottom bracket that needs a 6 prong tool to
adjust the bottom bracket. The 6 notches will require a tool that has 6
things that stick out, if that makes any sense. This is the first time I've
seen one of these style bottom brackets.

Can anyone tell me what tool I need to make this adjustment?

It also looks like I am going to have to pull the crank arm to effect the
adjustment...oh joy.

Anyone know the manufacturer / model of bottom bracket on this bike?

I have a question into GT on this, but so far no response from them.

Cheers,

Paul

Old June 16th 05, 03:34 AM
Leo Lichtman

"Paul Scrutton"(clip) The 6 notches will require a tool that has 6 things
that stick out, (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Aren't the notches evenly spaced? Why wouldn't a tool with 2 things that
stick out work?

Old June 16th 05, 03:47 AM
JeffWills

Paul Scrutton wrote:
I am working on a 2005 GT Avalanche 3.0 mountain bike that needs a bottom
bracket adjust. I've pulled the bottom bracket lockring, and am now faced
with what looks like a bottom bracket that needs a 6 prong tool to
adjust the bottom bracket. The 6 notches will require a tool that has 6
things that stick out, if that makes any sense. This is the first time I've
seen one of these style bottom brackets.

Can anyone tell me what tool I need to make this adjustment?

It also looks like I am going to have to pull the crank arm to effect the
adjustment...oh joy.

Anyone know the manufacturer / model of bottom bracket on this bike?

According to the GT website:
Crankset:
Suntour XCC-100, 48,38,28
Bottom Bracket:
Sealed mechanism with Boron spindle

Which isn't really helpful.

Could it be one of these: http://www.parktool.com/tools/BBT_4.shtml ??

Jeff

Old June 16th 05, 04:02 AM
Paul Scrutton

It's definitely not that tool, as notches on the tool don't extend down.
Well there are 3 that do, but they don't serve the purpose needed for this
bottom bracket according to that website.

Paul

"JeffWills" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old June 16th 05, 07:09 AM
JeffWills

Paul Scrutton wrote:
It's definitely not that tool, as notches on the tool don't extend down.
Well there are 3 that do, but they don't serve the purpose needed for this
bottom bracket according to that website.

Paul

OK-

Could it be http://www.parktool.com/tools/BBT_7.shtml ???

Jeff

Old June 16th 05, 01:58 PM
S R Sharp

Paul Scrutton wrote:
I am working on a 2005 GT Avalanche 3.0 mountain bike that needs a bottom
bracket adjust. I've pulled the bottom bracket lockring, and am now faced
with what looks like a bottom bracket that needs a 6 prong tool to
adjust the bottom bracket. The 6 notches will require a tool that has 6
things that stick out, if that makes any sense. This is the first time I've
seen one of these style bottom brackets.

Can anyone tell me what tool I need to make this adjustment?

It also looks like I am going to have to pull the crank arm to effect the
adjustment...oh joy.

Anyone know the manufacturer / model of bottom bracket on this bike?

I have a question into GT on this, but so far no response from them.

Cheers,

Paul

You need a green Park pin spanner.