I'm missing something (headset)

Old April 11th 10, 03:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Elliott[_2_]

Default I'm missing something (headset)

My reader will recall that I built up a kit bike from Nashbar last month.
The assembly job went well, overall, the bike is rideable (a sign that I
didn't put something on backwards or anything) but the threadless headset
isn't right. I can't seem to get it tight, there is play if I roll the
bike back and forth with the front brake locked. Here's the bike;
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product..._10000__200516

It does not have cartridge bearings, there are upper and lower caged ball
bearings, the bearing races are pressed into the steerer tube. I took the
headset apart when I got the bike to remove the factory grease and put in
some decent grease. I'm 99 and 44/100ths certain that I put it back
together correctly, everything in order, and all the parts seem to be
happily fitting with each other.

This is a simple assembly, and it's frustrating to me that I can't figure
it out.

With the front wheel on the ground, I put a lot of downward force on the
frame to seat the lower race up into the steerer tube, and downward
pressure on the spacers to seat the upper bearings. I check to make sure
that the steerer is centered in the steering tube. But after tightening
the handlebar to the stem to keep the spacers in place, I can lift the
front up and the whole fork drops down a couple-three millimeters. Enough
to make it feel loose.

Forgive me if I am not explaining this well.

So, embarrassing as this is for me to admit it, this simple little
collection of parts has me buffaloed. What's the trick?

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon

Old April 11th 10, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Apr 10, 7:43 pm, Mike Elliott
wrote:
[...]

Do you mean tightening (clamping) the stem to the steerer tube? Is
there a cap on top of the steerer with a bolt for adjusting preload
that pulls up on the steerer by a star nut stuck down in there?

Old April 11th 10, 04:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Elliott[_2_]

On 4/10/2010 7:59 PM Dan O wrote:

On Apr 10, 7:43 pm, Mike
wrote:
[...]

Yes, there is a cap on top with a bolt going down into a captive nut down
there. I thought that star nut was just for holding the bolt in place
which in turn holds the cap in place atop the stem. So your question tells
me that there's something about the assembly I don't understand.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon

Old April 11th 10, 05:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Apr 10, 8:29 pm, Mike Elliott
wrote:
On 4/10/2010 7:59 PM Dan O wrote:

On Apr 10, 7:43 pm, Mike
wrote:
[...]

Threadless headsets are new for me, too. But yeah, that screw on top
is what you use to adjust the bearings while the stem clamp is
loosened around the steerer tube. Then you tighten the stem clamp to
hold the adjustment. Then the adjusting screw on top doesn't really
matter anymore, but yeah - holds the cap on for neat appearances (I
back mine off at that point and then tighten it just snug enough to
stay put).

Probably the Park Tools web site has the details. Ah, yes:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=65

Have you got enough spacers on there? (Gap at top?)

Old April 11th 10, 05:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Mike Elliott wrote:
[...]

perhaps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQT2A_X-JvY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hQas...eature=related

Insufficient spacers under stem? Missing or misplaced
centering cone just above top race?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old April 11th 10, 05:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Elliott[_2_]

On 4/10/2010 9:02 PM Dan O wrote:

On Apr 10, 8:29 pm, Mike
wrote:
On 4/10/2010 7:59 PM Dan O wrote:

On Apr 10, 7:43 pm, Mike
wrote:
[...]

Hey Dan, thanks, man! I'll have another go at the headset tomorrow. It
hasn't gotten the best of me yet.

Gap at top not possible, using one of these:
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=12812

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon

Old April 11th 10, 05:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Elliott[_2_]

On 4/10/2010 9:24 PM AMuzi wrote:

Mike Elliott wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the links!

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon

Old April 11th 10, 06:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pm

On Apr 10, 9:33*pm, Mike Elliott
wrote:
On 4/10/2010 9:02 PM Dan O wrote:

On Apr 10, 8:29 pm, Mike
wrote:
On 4/10/2010 7:59 PM Dan O wrote:

On Apr 10, 7:43 pm, Mike
wrote:
[...]

You'll have to make sure there is a gap inside the riser then -- the
right amount of spacers under the riser, so that the top edge of the
steer tube is slightly above the upper clamp bolt of the riser, yet
below where the riser necks inwards inside.

Oh, and while adjusting out the play it's now the riser clamp bolts
you need to have loose and not the stem clamp bolts.

Once you understand the principle I find working on threadless to be
far better than threaded headsets. No specialized big wrenches or
trial and error guessing games with thread lash.

pm
Old April 11th 10, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Mike Elliott wrote:
[...]

If all that fails, do make sure that the cups are properly pressed
into the frame. Also make certain that the caged bearings aren't
installed upside down.
Old April 11th 10, 04:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Elliott[_2_]

Mike Elliott wrote:
[...]

I did take care to put things back together in the order they were
removed and I do believe that I got them orientated correctly. They all
seem to fit with each other nicely. The caged bearings are turned the
right way around, too.

What I did not understand, so did not use for adjusting, is the
compression bolt. The bike has a Delta stem riser on it, which makes for
a slight modification to the procedure, as pm pointed out.

For my education, is there an exploded diagram of a typical threadless
headset with caged bearings online somewhere? It's helpful to get the
names of the bits right for clarity's sake if I have to come back and
ask for any more assistance.

Thanks to all for the help.

Maybe I'm missing something... [email protected] Techniques 23 August 3rd 07 07:33 PM
Integrated Headset Fork on Standard Headset C.H. Luu Techniques 3 September 7th 06 07:11 PM
Whose Missing ? HughMann Australia 3 April 6th 06 12:46 PM
Erm am I missing something? Fish UK 6 March 18th 05 09:05 AM
What's missing for you? Sofa Unicycling 34 January 15th 04 01:39 AM