spokes keep loosening

Old August 24th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dave

Default spokes keep loosening

I thought of putting loctite on them or something, is this a good idea or
what is please seriously.
Dave
"Michael Press" wrote in message
In article
,
"Dave" wrote:

My spokes keep loosening, is their anything I can do? Thanks
dave

Keep tightening them or your wheel will fall off.

--
Michael Press

Old August 24th 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Dave wrote:
I thought of putting loctite on them or something, is this a good idea or
what is please seriously.

1. make sure spoke tension is correct. chances are, this will fix your
problem.
2. make sure the wheel is fully pre-stressed to prevent any further
bedding in of spokes in use. that will lead to further spoke loosening.
3. if the above fail, yes, it's ok to consider loctite, but get the
correct grade. it has to wick and not seize the nipples completely.
both d.t. and sapim sell a special grade loctite for this exact purpose.

Old August 24th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dave

Thanks Jim I'll give it a shot. I had the wheel worked on at a lbs- he said
he put spoke prep on the nipples when he loosened everything and re
tensioned them prior to this happening I'm wondering if that is causing
them to come loose so easily.
Dave

"jim beam" wrote in message
t...

Old August 24th 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Dave wrote:
Thanks Jim I'll give it a shot. I had the wheel worked on at a lbs- he said
he put spoke prep on the nipples when he loosened everything and re
tensioned them prior to this happening I'm wondering if that is causing
them to come loose so easily.
Dave

not all bike shops are good at wheel building. in fact, very few are.
have them show you the spoke tension with a tensiometer. if they don't
have one, smile, take your bike and leave. if they do, note the tension
and compare it to manufacturer spec. there's data in the archive here
on that. also make sure spoke tension is as even as possible
spoke-to-spoke.

"jim beam" wrote in message
t...

Old August 24th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

My spokes keep loosening, is their anything I can do? Thanks
dave

maybe the wrong size nipples are matched with the spokes

Old August 24th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark

jim beam wrote:
Dave wrote:

I thought of putting loctite on them or something, is this a good idea
or what is please seriously.

1. make sure spoke tension is correct. chances are, this will fix your
problem.
2. make sure the wheel is fully pre-stressed to prevent any further
bedding in of spokes in use. that will lead to further spoke loosening.
3. if the above fail, yes, it's ok to consider loctite, but get the
correct grade. it has to wick and not seize the nipples completely.
both d.t. and sapim sell a special grade loctite for this exact purpose.

4. (or should it be #0?) Make sure the rim isn't failing with bulges
around the spoke holes. With a failing rim, there's no way you can get
suitable tension, and no way to keep the spokes from loosening.

Hopefully this isn't the problem, but if it is, #1-3 are irrelevant.

Mark "Been there, done that with an MA-3" J.

Old August 24th 06, 05:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Mark wrote:
jim beam wrote:
Dave wrote:

I thought of putting loctite on them or something, is this a good
idea or what is please seriously.

1. make sure spoke tension is correct. chances are, this will fix
your problem.
2. make sure the wheel is fully pre-stressed to prevent any further
bedding in of spokes in use. that will lead to further spoke loosening.
3. if the above fail, yes, it's ok to consider loctite, but get the
correct grade. it has to wick and not seize the nipples completely.
both d.t. and sapim sell a special grade loctite for this exact purpose.

4. (or should it be #0?) Make sure the rim isn't failing with bulges
around the spoke holes.

true, but #1 negates that. bulges are a symptom of over-tension.

Old August 24th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

"Dave" wrote:

My spokes keep loosening, is their anything I can do? Thanks
dave

Keep tightening them or your wheel will fall off.

--
Michael Press

Tesnion is not correct, either thru building error or because the rim
has become 'deformed' thru riding. Getting the tenion right even if it
means a not round rim(cuz it ain't round anymore), will prevent spoke
loosening

Old August 24th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

"Dave" wrote:

My spokes keep loosening, is their anything I can do? Thanks
dave

Keep tightening them or your wheel will fall off.

--
Michael Press

Tension is not correct, either thru building error or because the rim

Old August 24th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Dave who? writes:

My spokes keep loosening, is their anything I can do?

I thought of putting Loctite on them or something, is this a good
idea or what is please seriously.

You didn't say how many spokes this wheel has and how much you weigh.
This information would make more apparent what the problem might be.

The only way spokes can loosen is that, under load, spokes pointing
straight down to the road become slack from overload. After all "the
wheel stands on the spokes at the bottom of the wheel", structurally
speaking. When slack spoke nipples can unscrew, while the wheel is
close to collapse against even light side loads. Most wheels seldom
experience side loads so they generally don't fail that way.

In any case, your spokes are not tight enough to carry the load borne
by the few spokes in the load affected (road contact) zone. Loctite
is not the answer, although it and similar glues have been used for
wheels that experience rattling loose spokes, a problem with many
machine built wheels (SpokePrep).

The spokes need to be tighter and possibly more of them to stay tight
and true.

Please fill in the missing information.

Jobst Brandt

Another shimmy question Dave Techniques 111 December 9th 05 08:55 PM
Spoke tension meter Ken Techniques 345 July 28th 05 04:54 PM
Snaping Spokes [email protected] Techniques 82 March 8th 05 04:34 PM
Wheel Rebuilding TheObieOne3226 Unicycling 16 January 1st 04 10:55 AM