Cadel on Australian drivers

Old January 12th 08, 01:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Default Cadel on Australian drivers

TimC wrote:
Theo Bekkers wrote

Good for you. I haven't used a car for a week now, but can't say the
same about the motorcycle. I do get 20 kms from a litre of petrol
though.

5L/100km? My friend's prius does that, and I don't forgive him any
less for driving such a damaging vehicle.

Why does he need your forgiveness? I'm not asking for forgiveness for my
lifestyle. Maybe I should for the coal burnt to power my house? I believe
there would be less polution from my house if I had a personal diesel
generator. Fuel used in internal combustion engines produce about 7% of
Australia's polution as against more than 80% from coal used to power my,
and probably your, house, as well as industry. But no, don't blame the
coal-burning power utilities, because they will ignore you. Blame the
motorist! Blame the freight company that delivered your new bike from
overseas.

Theo

Old January 12th 08, 03:56 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2008-01-12, Theo Bekkers (aka Bruce)
TimC wrote:
5L/100km? My friend's prius does that, and I don't forgive him any
less for driving such a damaging vehicle.

Why does he need your forgiveness? I'm not asking for forgiveness for my
lifestyle. Maybe I should for the coal burnt to power my house? I believe
there would be less polution from my house if I had a personal diesel
generator. Fuel used in internal combustion engines produce about 7% of
Australia's polution as against more than 80% from coal used to power my,
and probably your, house, as well as industry.

Yawhat!? Are you being serious?

As soon as everyone uses diesel gensets to generate their own
electricity, pollution from internal combustion engines will take the
place of the 80% from coal.

I was disappointed the other day when I monitored my UPS at home as
the work genset was turned on to take the load during a scheduled
district-wide outage. I thought the megawatt of load suddenly
disappearing would at least cause a slight blip in voltage for the
town. Nothing. Everyone else must be bigger wasters of electric
juice than we are.

--
TimC
Error: Fuzzy Pointer Exception
Old January 12th 08, 04:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

TimC wrote:
Theo Bekkers wrote

Why does he need your forgiveness? I'm not asking for forgiveness
for my lifestyle. Maybe I should for the coal burnt to power my
house? I believe there would be less polution from my house if I had
a personal diesel generator. Fuel used in internal combustion
engines produce about 7% of Australia's polution as against more
than 80% from coal used to power my, and probably your, house, as
well as industry.

Yawhat!? Are you being serious?

As soon as everyone uses diesel gensets to generate their own
electricity, pollution from internal combustion engines will take the
place of the 80% from coal.

Not quite. Coal is much worse than petrol or diesel. You mate's Prius emits
some 2150kg of greenhouse gases in a 20,000 km year. The
all-electric-charged-up-from-your-house-powerpoint-overnight that was
recently abandoned by GM, after it was proved viable, (starting yet another
oil company quashed paranoia reaction) emit none uring the running phase but
3900kg during the charging phase, if fed from a coal-fired power station. By
comparison, a 4 cyl Camry emits 3700, the Golf 1.9 diesel 2800 kg.
Coal is not an ecologically efficient way to produce power, but it is damn
cheap.

I was disappointed the other day when I monitored my UPS at home as
the work genset was turned on to take the load during a scheduled
district-wide outage. I thought the megawatt of load suddenly
disappearing would at least cause a slight blip in voltage for the
town. Nothing. Everyone else must be bigger wasters of electric
juice than we are.

Our work genset only does the server room but is battling to keep up with
46KW. :-)

Theo

Old January 12th 08, 05:09 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc[_3_]

TimC wrote:
Everyone else must be bigger wasters of electric
juice than we are.

Err, how many welding shops in your local?

How many places with process heating?

Unless you have a substation at your door, your work wouldn't count as
substantial,

Also might be the case that therer is some local generator around.

Cadel Evans Australian? Andy Racing 19 July 31st 07 03:56 PM
Cadel Evans Australian? Andy Australia 24 July 31st 07 03:56 PM
Go, Go, Go Cadel!!!!! Patrick Turner Australia 6 July 29th 07 06:49 AM
Go Cadel! Steve Australia 32 May 3rd 06 04:24 AM
Cadel Evans David Ferguson Racing 0 July 22nd 05 03:14 AM