Steel frames and le Tour

Old July 11th 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz

Default Steel frames and le Tour

William Asher wrote:
I've called Schwartzsoft technical support, but some guy with an Indian
accent just tells I should be grateful and get back to work.

You're under the impression that companies staff their tech
support with live people?

Bob Schwartz
Old July 11th 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Scott wrote:
Now, back to your initial paragraph. You don't understand probability.
The odds for any given rider using a steel frame is not 1 in 10 or 1 in
100 or whatever. It's 50/50.

I'm going to sue you for breaking my infinite improbability drive.
Old July 11th 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Booker Bense wrote:
If you're not suprised at someone riding a steel frame in the TDF, you're
bat****... How's that for simple?

Ask Press to give you a lecture on whale****. Its a lot more substantial.
Old July 11th 08, 09:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

William Asher wrote:
Carl seems like a new version for you. Sort of like maybe Tom Vista,
an upgrade that people at first like even less than the old version,
yet everyone will still use because, well, they're use to Tom XP.

Donald Munro wrote:
Will I need to upgrade my hardware to run FOGEL10000 instead of TOM9000 ?

William Asher wrote:
It doesn't appear to be a requirement, JT's got it performing on his
existing system flawlessly. I'm betting that a lot of the menu options
are still pretty much the same. I'm a little bummed that TOM9000 doesn't
run for me anymore, although I have no intention of installing FOGEL10000.
I've called Schwartzsoft technical support, but some guy with an Indian
accent just tells I should be grateful and get back to work.

Have you tried rebooting the TOM9000 system, it may be suffering from a
memory leak just like windoze anything.

Old July 11th 08, 11:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing

On Jul 11, 2:09 am, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:42:03 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
I remember trying to convince people 12 years ago on my team who were
sponsored by Lemond and Trek to get the steel (if I remember
correctly) Zurich as it was much better for the riders who were suited
for criteriums and not road racing. In those days the Trek OCLV's
seemed pretty slow handling.

I had a Zurich and loved it. I still love it, but don't race it. About
four years ago I got a year-old OCLV as my racing bike and it seems
exactly the same to me, but's a bit lighter. I just started riding
another OCLV and as far as I can tell it feels the same as the other
two bikes.

I test rode an OCLV in 1995 and it felt like a truck. Looks like they
improved the handling since then.

-ilan
Old July 12th 08, 12:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Donald Munro wrote:
Booker Bense wrote:
If you're not suprised at someone riding a steel frame in the TDF, you're
bat****... How's that for simple?

Ask Press to give you a lecture on whale****. Its a lot more substantial.

Not so: http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_003c.html.

"People who had no mercy will find none." - Anon.
Old July 12th 08, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Bret Wade[_2_]

wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:42:03 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
I remember trying to convince people 12 years ago on my team who were
sponsored by Lemond and Trek to get the steel (if I remember
correctly) Zurich as it was much better for the riders who were suited
for criteriums and not road racing. In those days the Trek OCLV's
seemed pretty slow handling.

I had a Zurich and loved it. I still love it, but don't race it. About
four years ago I got a year-old OCLV as my racing bike and it seems
exactly the same to me, but's a bit lighter. I just started riding
another OCLV and as far as I can tell it feels the same as the other
two bikes.

I test rode an OCLV in 1995 and it felt like a truck. Looks like they
improved the handling since then.

-ilan

I have a Madone SL 5.9 that handles fine. But then so has every frame
I've ever raced. They may feel odd at first but I get used to them. I
even had an aluminum team bike that was built so crooked I couldn't take
my hands off the bars. I had a steel bike that would develop a front end
shimmy if I took my hands off the bars. Other than that they handled
fine. Light weight and stiffness make the most difference to me. Carbon
is nice, but aluminum is fine too. I have no interest in steel.

Bret
Old July 12th 08, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
William Asher

Donald Munro wrote:

Have you tried rebooting the TOM9000 system, it may be suffering from
a memory leak just like windoze anything.

Why on earth would I want it working again? It took me less than a year,
maybe, to get it to the point where it was broken. Like I said, if I were
interested, I think anybody, with very minimal effort, could get CARL-Vista
installed. But I am hesitant to do that because you can't just uninstall
CARL-Vista. You have to change the hard drive, motherboard, monitor, your
name, and SSN.

--
Bill Asher
Old July 12th 08, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
still just me wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 10:04:20 +0200, Donald Munro
wrote:

Howard Kveck wrote:
Absence of evidence is evidence of absence, as Rummy once suggested.

The Rumsfeld Theory of Probability is like the Cheney Theory of
Markmanship.

Much like the Bush Theory of Computer Design "Let's see... we got
ones, they're true; we got zeros, they're false; then we got a third
state we'll show the people on the screen"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ternary_computer

Old July 12th 08, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
A Muzi wrote:

carlfogel wrote:
"When told of this [Vos Savant's solution _is_ correct], Paul Erdos, one
of the leading mathematicians of the twentieth century, said 'That's
impossible.'

Donald Munro wrote:
Only because he's a doper. I know because my LIVEDRUNK(tm)
representative told me.

Make that '_was_ a doper' He's no longer with us.

Erdos pithily said that a mathematician is a device to turn coffee into
theorems. He probably meant speed. Whatever.

He probably said that before his speed habit:

http://amphetamines.com/paul-erdos.html

Born 1913, didn't have an amphetamine script until 1971. Liked it so
much he stayed on them until his death in 1996.

http://bookbuzz.com/MBIO_About_Erdos.htm

"Erdös's drug use worried his friends. Once Ron Graham tried to get him
to quit by betting him five hundred dollars that he could not stop
taking pills for a month. Erdös went cold-turkey for a month. Accepting
Graham's check he said: "You've showed me I'm not an addict. But I
didn't get any work done. I'd get up in the morning and stare at a blank
piece of paper. I'd have no ideas, just like an ordinary person. You've
set mathematics back a month." He began taking amphetamines again and
mathematics once more progressed at his frenetic pace."

Steel Frames: Surly, Gunnar, Soma [email protected] General 7 February 25th 08 12:18 AM
Italian/steel frames need more prep? Phil, Squid-in-Training Techniques 84 April 13th 06 03:56 PM
BB on steel frames PJay Techniques 8 November 1st 05 03:16 AM
Steel Road frames firewolf65 General 8 April 12th 05 03:59 PM
Good Steel Frames danimal Off Road 2 May 29th 04 05:46 AM