published helmet research - not troll

Old July 5th 04, 11:04 PM
Bill Z.

Default published helmet research - not troll

Benjamin Lewis writes:

Bill Z. wrote:

What I find even more curious is that a short, obscure paper written
by three guys is the only thing that ever gets mentioned by the
anti-helmet camp,

That's because it's pretty much the only statistic quoted by the anti-choice
camp. Or if it isn't, what other study shows this "85%" figure that I keep
seeing?

The "anti-helmet" camp, as you call it, also frequently mentions a number
of other studies, e.g. New Zealand & Australia.

I should have said that it is the only study showing a positive result
for helmet use that they mention.

The New Zealand one did not measure a benefit to helmet use by looking
at injuries, but the study could not track which injured cyclists wore
helmets and which didn't (someone emailed the author and asked about
that, and posted a summary of the response on rec.bicycles.soc.)
Instead they used independent surveys of cyclists that counted the
number who used helmets versus the number who didn't.

Helmet usage went up substantially after New Zealand passed a helmet
law, but this is not the same as "cyclist-miles" for those using
helmets and those who don't. Also, New Zealand has a tiny population,
which limits the accuracy of the results. The study that was on the
Snell site reported a factor of two or three difference in helmet
effectiveness based on how well the helmet fit the rider (including
strap adjustment.) The New Zealand study didn't control for that. It
showed that merely passing a helmet law doesn't help.

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB
Old July 5th 04, 11:11 PM
Bill Z.

"Just zis Guy, you know?" writes:

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 19:04:04 GMT, (Bill Z.)
wrote in message :

whenever helmet laws are debated the helmet advocates
circulate as fact the TR&T findings that helmets prevent 85% of head
injuries and 88% of brain inhuries, both of which claims are bogus and
even the original authors no longer make them.

What I find even more curious is that a short, obscure paper written
by three guys is the only thing that ever gets mentioned by the
anti-helmet camp, treating it as the greatest threat to western
civilation since Atilla the Hun. Are they going to blame Osama next?

You are evidently even more ill-informed than Tom makes out.

This is not an "obscure" paper, it is the single most widely quoted
and influential piece of helmet research there is. I cannot recall a
subsequent paper or literature review which does not reference it, and
helmet campaigners almost always quote the 85% / 88% figures when
arguing for compulsion, presumably because they are so much bigger and
more impressive than the other studies.

Oh come off it. It gets cited because it was the first paper out
there, and it is customary to cite previous work in an area. If it was
viewed by other researchers as the definitive word on this topic, the
others wouldn't have published anything.

In the scheme of things, though, it *is* obscure. The whole subject
area is obscure. There are who knows how many gizmos out there with
safety implications. This is just one more study of one more gizmo.

Bill

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB
Old July 5th 04, 11:14 PM
Bill Z.

"Just zis Guy, you know?" writes:

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 03:00:12 GMT, Joe Riel wrote
in message :

"If I lock the front brake, the front wheel will skid.
The only time I've gone over the bars was when something got lodged in
the front wheel..."

Don't forget the bit about if I hit a car I hit feet-first. Feet
first only really happens on a recumbent :-)

No imagnation, I take it? To avoid a crash you can brake or turn, and
if you blow it and fall off your bike, you could go in feet first.

Repeating it doesn't make it true.

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB
Old July 6th 04, 12:09 AM
Benjamin Lewis

Bill Z. wrote:

Benjamin Lewis writes:

Bill Z. wrote:

The shape doesn't matter. All the matters in the position of the
center of mass relative to where the front tire touches the ground.

... and the shape significantly affects the position of the center of
mass.

No it doesn't: the predominant thing that affects the position of the
center of mass is the rider (in this case, a single one, sitting at
about the same position relative to the front wheel as on a mountain
or road bike.) The rest of the tandem is a small correction due to
the mass of the frame being far lower than the mass of the cyclist.

How small?

--
Benjamin Lewis

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.
Old July 6th 04, 12:11 AM
Benjamin Lewis

Bill Z. wrote:

Benjamin Lewis writes:

Bill Z. wrote:

What I find even more curious is that a short, obscure paper written
by three guys is the only thing that ever gets mentioned by the
anti-helmet camp,

That's because it's pretty much the only statistic quoted by the
anti-choice camp. Or if it isn't, what other study shows this "85%"
figure that I keep seeing?

The "anti-helmet" camp, as you call it, also frequently mentions a
number of other studies, e.g. New Zealand & Australia.

I should have said that it is the only study showing a positive result
for helmet use that they mention.

Which other ones should they mention?

Old July 6th 04, 01:02 AM
Dan Becker

In article , Bill Z.
wrote:

It wasn't clear if the line of cars was in a lane parallel to Dan's or
if it was on the cross street, nor was it clear if the left-turning
car was turning from the cross street or from an opposing lane on the
street Dan was riding on. I'll let Dan fill in the details if he
chooses.

Line of cars was in the left lane parallel to my movement in the right
lane of a four lane road (two lanes each way). The turning car was
turning left from the left lane of the opposite direction traffic
across my two lanes into a driveway on my right. A driver in a van
waved him through (when I do that to folks, I'm saying "I'm not going
to pull up, you can come in front of me"; the left-turning driver
thought he meant "the coast is clear, you can barrel through without
looking at all"), and with the van obscuring my view, he just appeared
in front of me. It was a small, low, foreign sedan.

The driver was cited for not seeing the way clear for a safe turning
movement.

Condescending comments or not, my riding style is different now, and
this situation would not reoccur for me. I thought I was safe by owning
the lane, but the confluence of factors demonstrated that I was not.

Dan
Old July 6th 04, 01:05 AM
Dan Becker

In article . net, Tom
Kunich wrote:

Dan what are the chances that had you not been wearing a helmet that your
head would have missed the ground since cracking indicates only a slight
grazing?

That is unknowable for certain, but judging from the skid marks on the
outer shell, I'd have had at the very minimum some serious headburn and
lost hair to go with my lost skin. The condition of the helmet
suggested to me that my head most certainly would have contacted the
pavement.

Dan
Old July 6th 04, 01:12 AM
Bill Z.

Benjamin Lewis writes:

Bill Z. wrote:

Benjamin Lewis writes:

Bill Z. wrote:

What I find even more curious is that a short, obscure paper written
by three guys is the only thing that ever gets mentioned by the
anti-helmet camp,

That's because it's pretty much the only statistic quoted by the
anti-choice camp. Or if it isn't, what other study shows this "85%"
figure that I keep seeing?

The "anti-helmet" camp, as you call it, also frequently mentions a
number of other studies, e.g. New Zealand & Australia.

I should have said that it is the only study showing a positive result
for helmet use that they mention.

Which other ones should they mention?

See http://www.bhsi.org/henderso.htm (the report itself is a high
level summary and not that interesting as a result), but it contains
a long bibliography. I've pasted that part in below:

======================

Anderson P R, Adena M A and Montesin H J, Trends in road crash
fatality rates: Australia, 1970-1990, INTSTAT Australia Pty Ltd for
the Federal Office of Road Safety, Report No. CR 113, Department of
Transport and Communications, Canberra, 1993.

Andersson, Larsson and Sandberg, Chin strap forces in bicycle helmets,
Swedish National Testing and Research Institute, SP Report, 1993
(BHSIDOC # 487, Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute, Arlington VA, 1990).

Baker S P, O'Neill, B Ginsburg M J and Li G, The injury Fact Book,
Second Edition, New York NY, Oxford University Press, 1992.

Baker S P, Li G Fowler C and Dannenberg A L, Injuries to Bicyclists, a
National Perspective, Johns Hopkins Injury Prevention Centre, Johns
Hopkins School of Public Health. Baltimore, Maryland, 1993.

Bergman A B, Rivara F P, Richards D D and Rogers L W, The Seattle
childrens' bicycle helmet campaign, American Journal of Diseases of
Children, 144:727-731, 1990.

Rodgers G, Bicycle Use and Hazard Patterns in the US, and Options for
Injury Reduction US Consumer Product Safety Commission, Washington DC,
1993.

Buntain W L, Bicycle injuries in children, an economic insight and
literature review, in Proceedings, 29th Annual Conference, American
Association for Automotive Medicine. AAAM 1985.

Cairns H and Holbourn H, Head injuries in motorcyclists with special
reference to crash helmets. British Medical Journal, 1 :591, 1943.

Cameron M H, Finch C F and Vulcan A P, The protective performance of
bicycle helmets introduced at the same time as the bicycle helmet
wearing law in Victoria, Report No. 59, Monash University Accident
Research Centre, July 1994.

Cameron M H, Vulcan A P, Finch C F and Newstead S V, Mandatory bicycle
helmet use following a decade of helmet promotion in Victoria,
Australia: an evaluation, Accident Analysis and Prevention,
26:325-337, 1994.

Cameron M H, Heiman L and Neiger D, Evaluation of the bicycle helmet
wearing law in Victoria during its first 12 months, Monash University
Accident Research Centre, Report No.32, July 1992.

Corner J P, Whitney C W, O'Rourke N and Morgan D E, Motor cycle and
bicycle protective helmets: requirements resulting from a post crash
study and experimental research, School of Civil Engineering,
Queensland Institute of Technology, for the Federal Office of Road
Safety, Department of Transport and Communications, Report CR 55,
1987.

Dannenberg A L, Gielen A C, Beilenson P L, Wilson M E H and DeBoer,
Bicycle helmet laws and educational campaigns: an evaluation of
strategies to increase children's helmet use, American Journal of
Public Health, 83(5), 1993.

Denny-Brown D and Russell W R, Experimental cerebral concussion,
Brain, 64:93-164, 1941.

Dorsch M M, Woodward A J and Somers R L, Effect of helmet use in
reducing head injury in bicycle accidents, in Proceedings, 28th Annual
Conference, American Association for Automotive Medicine, AAAM, 1984
(reprinted in Accident Analysis and Prevention, 19:183, 1987).

Drummond A E and Jee F M, The risks of bicyclist accident involvement,
Monash University Accident Research Centre, Report No. 2, October
1988.

Evans L and Frick M C, Helmet effectiveness in preventing motorcycle
driver and passenger fatalities. Accident Analysis and
Prevention. 20:447-458, 1988.

Federal Office of Road Safety, Road crashes resulting in
hospitalisation: Australia 1990: statistical summary, year ended 31
December 1990, Department of Transport and Communications,
Canberra,1993.

Fife D, Davis J and Tate L, Fatal injuries to bicyclists: the
experience in Dade County, Florida, Journal of Trauma, 23:745-755,
1983.

Finch C F, Newstead S V, Cameron M H and Vulcan A P, Head injury
reductions in Victoria two years after introduction of mandatory
bicycle helmet use, Monash University Accident Research Centre, Report
No.51, July 1993.

Fisher D and Stern T, Results of a study on 1100 bicycle helmets
involved in accidents, in Proceedings, 38th Annual Conference,
Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine, AAAM, 1994.

Gadd C W Use of a weighted impulse criterion for estimating injury
hazard, in Proceedings, Tenth Stapp Car Crash Conference, Society of
Automotive Engineers, 164:174, 1966.

Gielen A C, Joff E A, Dannenberg A L, Wilson M E H, Beilenson P L and
DeBoer M, Psychosocial factors associated with the use of bicycle
helmets among children in counties with and without helmet use laws,
Journal of Paediatrics, 124:204-210, 1994.

Gennarelli T A and Thibault L E, Biomechanics of acute subdural
haematoma, Journal of Trauma, 22: 680-686, 1982.

Gennarelli T A, Thibault L E, Adams J H, Graham D I, Thompson C J and
Marcincin R P, Diffuse axonal injury and traumatic coma in the
primate, Annals of Neurology, 12:564-574, 1982.

Gilbert K and McCarthy M, Deaths of cyclists in London 1985-92: the
hazards of road traffic British Medical Journal. 308: 1534-1537, 1994.

Graitcer P L and Kellermann A L, Is legislation an effective way to
promote bicycle helmet use?, in Proceedings, 38th Annual Conference,
Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine, AAAM 1994.

Guichon D M P and Myles, J J Bicycle injuries: one year sample in
Calgary, Journal of Trauma, 15:504-506, 1975.

Healy D J, Trends in helmet usage rates and bicyclist numbers
sustaining a head injury, July 1981 to December 1985, Victoria, Report
GR/86/11, Road Traffic Authority, Victoria 1986.

Hodgson V R, Impact, skid and retention tests on a representative
group of bicycle helmets to determine their headneck protective
characteristics, Department of Neurosurgery, Wayne State University,
Michigan, 1990 (BHSIDOC # 310, Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute,
Arlington VA, 1990).

Hodgson V R, Skid tests on a select group of bicycle helmets to
determine their head-neck protective characteristics, Department of
Neurosurgery, Wayne State University, Michigan, 1990 (BHSIDOC # 357,
Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute, Arlington VA. 1990).

Hoque M M, An analysis of fatal bicycle accidents in Victoria
(Australia) with a special reference to nighttime accidents, Accident
Analysis and Prevention, 22:1-11, 1990.

Hurt H H and Thom D R, Laboratory tests and accident performance of
bicycle safety helmets, in Proceedings 29th Annual Conference,
American Association for Automotive Medicine, AAAM, 1985.

Illingsworth C M, Naval D and Bell D, 150 bicycle injuries in
children: a comparison with accidents due to other causes, Injury,
13:7-9, 1981.

Jamieson K G and Kelly D, Crash helmets reduce head injuries, Medical
Journal of Australia, 2:806-809, 1973.

Kraus J F, Fife D and Conroy C, Incidence, severity and outcomes of
brain injuries involving bicycles, American Journal of Public Health,
77:76-78, 1987.

Kedjidjian C B, Bicycle helmets save lives, Traffic Safety, 94(3):16-19, 1994.

Kroon P O, Bunketorp O and Romanus B, in Proceedings, International
IRCOBI Conference on the Biomechanics of Impacts, IRCOBI, 1986.

Kruse D L McBeath A A, Bicycle accidents and injuries, a random survey
of college population, American Journal of Sports Medicine, 8:342-344,
1980.

Lane J C, Helmets for child bicyclists: some biomedical
considerations, Federal Office of Road Safety Report No. CR 47,
Department of Transport, Canberra, November 1986.

Larsen L V, The epidemiology of bicyclists collision accidents,
Journal of Traffic Medicine, 22:27-31, 1994.

Li G and Baker S P, Alcohol in fatally injured bicyclists, Accident
Analysis and Prevention. 26:543-548, 1994.

Lighthall J W, Goshgarian H G and Pinderski C R, Characterisation of
axonal injury produced by controlled cortical impact, Journal of
Neurotrauma, 7:65-76, 1990.

Lissner H R, Lebow M and Evans F G, Experimental studies on the
relation between acceleration and intracranial pressure changes in
man, Surgery, Gynaecology and Obstetrics, 111 :329-338, 1960.

Long G J, Dowdell B, and Griffiths M, Development of a localised
Roads and Traffic Authority of NSW (undated).

Maimaris C, Sommers C L, Browning C and Palmer C R, Injury patterns in
cyclists attending an accident and emergency department: a comparison
of helmet wearers and non wearers, British Medical Journal, 308:
1537-1540, 1994.

McDermott F T, Why pedal cyclists should wear safety helmets,
Australian Family Physician, 13:284-285, 1984.

McDermott F T and Klug G L, Differences in head injuries of pedal
cyclist and motor cyclist casualties in Victoria, Medical Journal of
Australia, 2: 30-32, 1982.

McDermott F T and Lane J C, Protection afforded by cycle helmets
(letter), British Medical Journal, 309:877, 1994.

McDermott F T, Lane J C, Brazenor G A and Debney A E, The
effectiveness of bicyclist helmets: a study of 1710 casualties,
Journal of Trauma, 34:834-844, 1993.

McIntosh A and Dowdell B, A field and laboratory study of the
performance of pedal cycle helmets in real accidents, in Proceedings,
International IRCOBI conference on the Biomechanics of Impact, 51-60,
IRCOBI 1992.

McKenna S, Borman B and Flemingh H, Pedal cycle accidents, New Zealand
Medical Journal, 97:657-658, 1984.

McSwain N E and Petrucelli E, Medical consequences of motorcycle
helmet nonusage, Journal of Trauma, 24:233, 1984.

Melvin J W, Lighthall J W and Ueno K, Brain injury biomechanics, in
Nahum A M and Melvin J W, Accidental Injury: Biomechanics and
Prevention, Springer-Verlag 1993.

Mills N J, and Gilchrist A, The effectiveness of foams in bicycle and
motor cycle helmets. Accident Analysis and Prevention,23:153-163,
1991.

Nakayama D K, Gardner M J and Rogers K D, Disability from bicycle
related injuries in children Journal of Trauma, 30:1390-1394, 1990.

O'Connor P J, Road Injury in Australia, Road Injury Information
Program, Report Series No.2, National Injury Surveillance Unit,
Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Canberra, 1993.

Ommaya A K and Gennarelli T A, Cerebral concussion and traumatic
unconsciousness: correlation of experimental and clinical observations
on blunt head injuries, Brain, 97:633-654, 1974.

Otte D, Injury mechanism and crash kinematic of cyclists in accidents:
an analysis of real accidents, in Proceedings, 33rd Stapp Car Crash
Conference, Society of Automotive Engineers, 1989.

Piggott P, Knuiman M W and Rosman D L, Rates and pattern of injuries
from bicycle crashes based on population: police and hospital data,
Rood and Transport Research, 3:64-74, 1994.

Pitt W R, Thomas S, Battistutta D, Nixon J, Clark R, and Acton C,
Trends in head injuries among child bicyclists, British Medical
Journal, 308:177-1994.

Rimel R N, Giordani M A, Barth J T, Boll T J and Jane J A, Disability
caused by minor head injury, Neurosurgery, 9(3), 1981.

Rivara F P, Thompson D C and Thompson R S, The Seattle childrens'
bicycle helmet campaign: changes in helmet use and head injury
admissions, Paediatrics, 93:567-569, 1994.

Rivara F T, Traumatic deaths of children in the United States:
currently available prevention strategies, Paediatrics, 75: 456-462,
1985.

Road Safety Bureau, Rood Traffic Accidents in NSW 1993, Statistical
Statement: year ended 31 December 1993, Roads and Traffic Authority of
New South Wales, 1994.

Sacks J J, Holmgreen P, Smith S M and Sosim D M, Bicycle associated
head injuries and deaths in the United States from 1984 through 1988:
how many are preventable? Journal of the American Medical Association,
266:3016-3018, 1991.

Smith T A, Teees D, Thom D R and Hurt H H, Evaluation and replication
of impact damage to bicycle helmets, in Proceedings 37th Annual
Conference, Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine,
AAAM 1993.

Smith N C and Milthorpe F W, An observational survey of low compliance
and helmet wearing by bicyclists in NSW, 1993, Transport and Network
Development Branch, Roads and Traffic Authority NSW, September 1993.

Spaite D W, Murphy M, Criss E A, Valenzuela T D and Meislin H W, A
prospective analysis of injury severity among helmeted and
non-helmeted bicyclists involved in collisions with motor vehicles,
Journal of Trauma, 31:1510-1516, 1991.

Staysafe 12, Bicycle Safety, Joint Standing Committee upon Road
Safety, Parliament of NSW, 1988.

Thomas S, Acton C, Nixon J, Battistutta D, Pitt W R and Clark R,
Effectiveness of bicycle helmets in preventing head injury in
children: case control study, British Medical Journal. 308:
173-176. 1994.

Thompson R, Rivara F and Thompson D, A case control study of the
effectiveness of bicycle safety helmets, New England Journal of
Medicine, 320: 1361-1367, 1989.

Thompson D C, Thompson R S, Rivara F P and Wolf M E, A casecontrol
study of the effectiveness of bicycle safety helmets in preventing
facial injury, American Journal of Public Health. 80:1471-1474, 1990.

Thorson J, Pedal cycle accidents, Scandinavian Journal of Social
Medicine, 2:121-126, 1974.

Travers Morgan Pty Ltd, Bicycle crashes in Western Australia, for the
Federal Office of Road Safety, Report No. CR56, Department of
Transport and Communications, Canberra. 1987.

Walker M B, Law compliance among cyclists in NSW, April 1992: a third
survey, Network Efficiency Branch, Roads and Traffic Authority NSW,
July 1992.

Walker M B, Law compliance and helmet use among cyclists in NSW,
Consultant report CR6/90, Road Safety Bureau, Roads and Traffic
Authority NSW, December 1990.

Watson G S, Zador P L and Wilks A, The repeal of helmet use laws and
increased motorcycle mortality in the United States 1975-1978,
American Journal of Public Health, 70:579, 1980.

Williams M, The protective performance of bicyclists' helmets in
accidents, Accident Analysis and Prevention, 23: 119-131, 1991.

Wilson D C, The effectiveness of motorcycle helmets in preventing
fatalities, report DOT HS807 416, National Highway Traffic Safety
Administration, Washington DC, 1989.

Wood T and Milne P, Head injuries to pedal cyclists and the promotion
of helmet use in Victoria, Australia, Accident Analysis and
Prevention, 20:177-185, 1988.

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB