Crank threads keep stripping

Old October 19th 03, 05:51 AM
Jason

Default Crank threads keep stripping

I have this reoccurring nightmare where my crank threads keep
stripping. It always happens to the crank with the chain ring (right
side). I've gone through 2 sets of cranks now, and I don't understand why
it keeps happening. Is this normal? I do do a lot of hard pedaling, but me
thinks that cranks and crank threads should be able to take such
punishment.

Any suggestions?

Jason

#1 Pedal is not tight enough..
#2 Maybe something wrong with the threads on the pedal (try different
pedal)

What cranks/pedals are you using?

Old October 20th 03, 05:05 AM
Mark Hickey

Jason wrote:

I have this reoccurring nightmare where my crank threads keep
stripping. It always happens to the crank with the chain ring (right
side). I've gone through 2 sets of cranks now, and I don't understand why
it keeps happening. Is this normal? I do do a lot of hard pedaling, but me
thinks that cranks and crank threads should be able to take such
punishment.

Any suggestions?

Not sure what kind of crank you have, but if I were to guess I'd say
it's probably a crank with a square spindle bottom bracket (crank
axle), and that the crank bolts were not properly tightened (which
will result in a ruined crank almost every time).

It's almost impossible to properly tighten a crank bolt with a
"normal" allen wrench - you really need a torque wrench to get the
feel for just how much torque is s'posed to be used.

They're a lot cheaper than new crank arms!

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame