Dual-function brakes: Normal + drag

Old February 11th 08, 07:13 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
412

Default Dual-function brakes: Normal + drag

Has anyone tried using cyclocross levers to make a single V-brake use
both a cyclocross (normal) and a gear-shifter (drag) brake?

I know cyclocross levers are designed for canti-brakes.

I don't yet own the 29:er that I would possibly do this to, but a just
thought it would be an interesting idea, perfhaps for the 36" group
with a T7 and a wish for both functions...

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about these pictures
may help a little bit:

[image: http://www.edurance.com/catalog/imag...levers.lg.jpg]

[image:
http://tandem-fahren.de/Mitglieder/C...pelbremse.jpg]

--
412
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 11th 08, 07:29 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

I was investigating that idea when I was building up my current Coker.
I ended up going with Maguras and forgoing the drag brake option.

The combination of the cyclocross style brake lever and a friction
lever drag brake ought to work. The challenge is in finding a
combination of components that work together. You need to find a brake
system that works with the amount of cable pull from the cyclocross
brake lever. Cantilever brakes and other styles of brakes are designed
for different amounts of cable pull. I can't recall if I managed to
find a cyclocross lever that could be used with something other than
cantilever brakes. There are special pulleys available for V-brakes so
they can work with canti levers. So that's one option.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/3d57bn) :: 'Unicycling Bookmark List'
(http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) :: 'World Clock'
(http://tinyurl.com/2blym3)
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 11th 08, 11:16 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
semach.the.monkey

With a Hunter style frame (Or N36) there's no reason why you couldn't
have 2 pairs of calipers, each connected to a different style of
lever.

Anyway, the nicest solution I have seen to this problem (from an
engineering point of view) is this;
http://tinyurl.com/3cboer
Not sure how well it actually works, but it looks fantastic!

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 11th 08, 01:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
scotthue

STM, that should work fine provided that the bar moves straight up and
down, the way that you might do that is add some pegs that go into a
slot in the surronding metal that keeps it straight. Currently it
looks like you would pull on either brake lever and it would pull on
the bar, turning it, and not allowing it to function as well.

--
scotthue
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 11th 08, 01:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

scotthue wrote:
STM, that should work fine provided that the bar moves straight up and
down, the way that you might do that is add some pegs that go into a
slot in the surronding metal that keeps it straight. Currently it
looks like you would pull on either brake lever and it would pull on
the bar, turning it, and not allowing it to function as well.

Isn't the point that it turns? The left hand side is presumably the
gear shifter, and having that a long way from the out cable means that
it can be adjusted finely, whereas the right hand side is near to the
output cable, so the proper brake lever has a pretty much 1:1 effect on
the brake.

It seems like a lot of effort to go to for a drag brake, and surely
would cost more than getting a set of maguras. If you have magura
hs33s, can't you use the pad adjust dial as a drag brake? At least if
the pads aren't too worn and the maguras have enough fluid in them you
should be able to.

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 11th 08, 01:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
semach.the.monkey

joemarshall wrote:

It seems like a lot of effort to go to for a drag brake, and surely
would cost more than getting a set of maguras.

After all the work in the 'rest of the unicycle'
(http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...3455673IEXgQD), I don't
think that the extra stuff for a drag brake will be much of a problem
:-)

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 11th 08, 02:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
U-Turn

I did this a while back and it seems to work ok-ish, although I haven't
ridden the uni with the brake that much to have a lot of exp with it.
With some engineering fiddling and some customization of parts it could
be good.

The reason I haven't ridden it that much is simply because other parts
of the uni were also experimental and they ended up riding a little
weird.

Setting up the brake was actually pretty labor intensive because of
space constraints and the overwhelming issue of cable drag. If you are
into that kind of thing, it was fun. Otherwise, just go for a ride
instead.

--
U-Turn

-- Dave Stockton