What size cranks for 10 year old for MUni

Old February 17th 08, 06:18 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
teachndad

Default What size cranks for 10 year old for MUni

I was out cleaning out the garage can came across my old Profile trials
wheelset with cobwebs on it and 145 mm cranks. I haven't ridden it in
years and I seldom rode it when I had it. A few years ago, I bought
the second generation KH wheelset with the steel splined cranks.

I have a 10 year old, too, yeah, but he's not gathering cobwebs. He
does lie around though, and talks back from time to time.

I digress.

He rides a unicycle now, but very seldom. We have been out only once
on some flat single dirt single track on my old starter steel rimmed
20" with 125mm cranks. We rode about 1 mile. It's got a white tire
that's good for gym riding. He did quite well, but struggled with the
slight grade, as would be expected as his level.

Well, I got to thinking, maybe I could swap out the old steel wheel
set and give him the Profile wheelset. The tire is an old Monty trials
tire with about half the tread left. Thinking maybe the added torque
would help. Seems like a waist to give him a Profile hub to MUni with,
though.

I also have my old Muni with a Gazz 3.0 on it and 170 mm cranks on it.
That might be an option, but I think the cranks would be too long.
That's currently on loan to another rider until they buy their own
Muni. Not sure when I will get it back, and I can't let him ride my
Muni because of seat post issues.

I might add, that my son, doesn't seem to have the love of unicycling I
had when I started or what I see other young kids that unicycle.

So, here's my main question(s)

What would you suggest I do?
1. give him the Profile wheelset
2. sell the profile wheelset and buy a new 20" wheelset that would be
not as overkill as the Profile. (though, UDC carries nothing like this
on their website that would be cost effective.)
3. or just sell the Profile wheelset and then buy a whole new starter
20" Muni for the price I estimate I could sell the profile set for.
(that assumes there is still intersest in buying a Profile wheelset
anymore, since KH products have come out.

Your comments...

Cheers.

--
teachndad

Rod Wylie 'MountainUnicyclingLA.com'
(http://www.mountainunicyclingla.com)
'UnicycleTips.com' (http://UnicycleTips.com)
'UnicycleRoundupLA.com/' (http://unicycleroundupla.com/)
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 17th 08, 06:27 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
torkerdx

teachndad wrote:
[...]

give him the profiles to ride. its free (you already have it), its easy
and it should do a good job for him. and i think a 24*3 would be
massive for him to the point he would struggle riding it

--
torkerdx

gordito8me wrote:
it's like running across the highway at rush hour. Dangerous, stupid,
but not really that fun.

skianduniaddict wrote:
never give 4 teenagers a camera... they go crazy

johnfoss wrote:
Yes, being old makes you stupid.

http://www.usenet.com
Old February 17th 08, 05:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mornish

I rode a trials unicycle (KH 20" with 140mm cranks) for about a year and
a half for everything, trials, muni, street ect, and it was great,
except now that I am bigger and have a KH 24 I love it for muni, it is
so much more tank-ish.

However, I don't think a 10 year old would fit very well on a muni (I'm
14 and my seat is lowered as far is it can be, so I would recommend a
trials unicycle with 125, 135, 137, or 140 mm cranks, because the
profiles really measure 150mm, and so for muni you would only be able
to go really slow, and you would hit your pedals on every other rock.

I hope that made at least a little sense
-Miles

--
mornish

aim:kiloornish
email: mornish at gmail dot com
msn: mornish at gmail dot com
'myspace' (www.myspace.com/mornish)

my brother wrote:
Unicycling - It impresses people but also makes them feel a little sad
for you at the same time.

Spencer wrote:
procrastination is just setting you up for max efficiency and therefore
a good thing

http://www.usenet.com
Old February 17th 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

I've ridden with a couple of kids of that age on 20" trials, seems to
work well for them. It's kind of like a mini muni, compared to their
size it's more like a 24/26".

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 18th 08, 04:42 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pkittle

Just to echo, a trials uni is good for kids that age. My now-13 year old
rode our Summit when first hitting the trails, but now rides my old
26er muni.

FWIW, if you do a quick search on eBay right now, there's a Qu-Ax
trials. Who knows what it will end up going for, but it's just $75 ($25
shipping) and ends in a couple days. You may be able to get it for what
your Profile wheel would/will sell for.

Oh, and as for the motivation/enjoyment part ... my experience with any
activity is to let the kid dictate the pace and choices when he comes
along. If he comes along and has some fun, then he'll want to come more
often. It doesn't hurt to bribe a little on the way home, either (a
stop for slurpees is a tradition with us).

--
pkittle

*==========================
Peter Kittle * Chico, CA
"The Revolution is just a t-shirt away."
--Billy Bragg
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 18th 08, 04:53 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
U-Turn

With the 145s he probably will have a lot of pedal strike on cornering,
otherwise I imagine keeping the Profile version would be great.

However, if he's not really that interested, then take it at face value
and don't make uni decisions based on the possibility that he might
want to ride someday. It's pretty easy and cheap now to get a decent
beginner-intermediate unicycle should he ever get interested.

Just my opinion!

--
U-Turn

-- Dave Stockton
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 18th 08, 08:10 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
keg

joemarshall wrote:
I've ridden with a couple of kids of that age on 20" trials, seems to
work well for them. It's kind of like a mini muni, compared to their
size it's more like a 24/26".

Joe

My 8 YO uses a 20" rim (not 19" trials) with a big, but light, tyre. I
think he's currently using 125's, if not he's back on 114's.

As Joe says size (and weight) it is equivalent to an adult on a 24/26".
If he tried a 3.0" Gazz there is no way he's strong enough ride up
steep hills or hop, the wheel would be too heavy.

--
keg
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 18th 08, 05:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
peleschramm

For my 11th birthday i got a 24 inch muni with 170mm cranks and a 3.0
gazzalodi tire like you were describing. I can tell you i loved it,
even at that age.

--
peleschramm

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=peleproductions