Can A Frame Be Re-Sized from 60cm to 56cm?

Old February 16th 12, 03:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Can A Frame Be Re-Sized from 60cm to 56cm?

On Feb 15, 6:53*pm, Dan O wrote:
On Feb 14, 3:08 pm, Jason Boro wrote:

I am contemplating sending a EM Corsa Extra frame to a framebuilder be
taken apart and resized in all the tubes. *Is this possible and
practical?

I don't get it. *Is that like lifting the gas cap and putting a new
car under it?

I can't say (for sure) about other people, but I have had the same
thought, "tailoring" a bike to fit. Because I rode something that was
really nice, but just too big (testicles v. top tube, etc.).
Well, if you don't "know" it's good to ask people who do know, you
know?

I don't remember which frame that was all these years later, but I
really should have ordered myself one like my buddy had, only in a
smaller size: Roberts TT/Crit bike (yes, so described and I might even
still have an old pamphlet "catalog" with that model in it).
As I remember: steep angles, short fork rake (I like that "track bike"
thing), tall BB, 531 that seemed to be built "light". Very nice paint/
decals and finish work but most of all, when you pushed down on the
pedals, it squirted forward and steered in the nicest way g.

The '84 Eddy Corsa SL I had? I don't know what others see in EM's but
"Belgian handmade" ho-ho-ho's aside, that bike was something special
on dirt road rides. The rear end "stuck" and the front end went where
I wanted it to-- very important when dodging rocks, holes, and the
occasional brick (!!!) often found in the path of rapid progress, and
especially in low water crossings. Not the "best handling" crit bike
although I won races on it, and not light or very stiff, either. Great
at what it did best.
--D-y
Old February 16th 12, 05:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Feb 15, 7:16 pm, " wrote:
On Feb 15, 6:53 pm, Dan O wrote:

On Feb 14, 3:08 pm, Jason Boro wrote:

I am contemplating sending a EM Corsa Extra frame to a framebuilder be
taken apart and resized in all the tubes. Is this possible and
practical?

I don't get it. Is that like lifting the gas cap and putting a new
car under it?

I can't say (for sure) about other people, but I have had the same
thought, "tailoring" a bike to fit. Because I rode something that was
really nice, but just too big (testicles v. top tube, etc.).
Well, if you don't "know" it's good to ask people who do know, you
know?

I don't remember which frame that was all these years later, but I
really should have ordered myself one like my buddy had, only in a
smaller size: Roberts TT...

Ah, memories (I know this isn't at all what you're talking about, but)
I saw Kenny Roberts finish in the top 3 at Castle Rock TT on his
Yamaha - pure rider overcoming the disadvantage to the Harleys. Then
I got into the press room afterward and had him autograph a Camel Pro
Series visor.

[...]

Okay, okay - I know the "character" of certain specimens
(anthropomorphic that way, I am). It's just that ther are *so* many
bikes out there; there must be one for everybody (romantic, too, I
am). (*Love* my Stumpjumper - even though it's really too small.)
Old February 16th 12, 10:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Jason Boro wrote:

I am contemplating sending a EM Corsa Extra frame to a framebuilder be
taken apart and resized in all the tubes. *Is this possible?

I'm late in replying to this, because I had to reflect on it a some
length.

Here's what I decided: Your proposal is insane. What are you
thinking?

There's nothing so special about any given frame that it warrants
dissecting and resizing. If you're willing to hire a framebuilder for
an expensive job like this, just have him build you a frame to your
specifications, using new tubing and fittings.

If you're stuck on having Eddy Merckx graphics and logos, do this:
Find the biggest mean person you know and pay him $500 to slap the
excrement out of you, instead of spending the money on a pretentious
phony paint job. It'll be better for you in the long run.

Chalo
Old February 16th 12, 10:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On 16 feb, 11:31, Chalo wrote:
Jason Boro wrote:

I am contemplating sending a EM Corsa Extra frame to a framebuilder be
taken apart and resized in all the tubes. *Is this possible?

I'm late in replying to this, because I had to reflect on it a some
length.

Here's what I decided: *Your proposal is insane. *What are you
thinking?

Exactly what I was thinking.

There's nothing so special about any given frame that it warrants
dissecting and resizing. *If you're willing to hire a framebuilder for
an expensive job like this, just have him build you a frame to your
specifications, using new tubing and fittings.

Exactly.

If you're stuck on having Eddy Merckx graphics and logos, do this:
Find the biggest mean person you know and pay him $500 to slap the
excrement out of you, instead of spending the money on a pretentious
phony paint job. *It'll be better for you in the long run.

A little extreme but OK with me.

Lou
Old February 16th 12, 11:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M-gineering

On 15-2-2012 0:08, Jason Boro wrote:
I am contemplating sending a EM Corsa Extra frame to a framebuilder be
taken apart and resized in all the tubes. Is this possible and
practical?

It /is/ possible, but probably twice the work of building a new frame
and the tubes will have suffered with all the extra heat cycles
--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl
Old February 16th 12, 04:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Feb 16, 2:52*am, Lou Holtman wrote:
On 16 feb, 11:31, Chalo wrote:

Jason Boro wrote:

[...]

Personally, I think $500 is way too much. You could probably get your
ass kicked for free. Spend the $500 on a properly sized, used Eddy
Merckx frame from eBay or Craigslist.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old February 16th 12, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

Default Can A Frame Be Re-Sized from 60cm to 56cm? YES !

kolldata wrote:
add foulup

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...anclo.jpg/sr=1

I needed one of those last night, before I ended up hacksawing by hand
through a 2" steel bar. Whew!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 16th 12, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 15, 11:51*pm, Dan O wrote:
On Feb 15, 7:16 pm, " wrote:

On Feb 15, 6:53 pm, Dan O wrote:

[...]

Good rides (including personal safety/miraculous "saves") = loyalty.
--D-y
Old February 16th 12, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 16, 4:31*am, Chalo wrote:
Jason Boro wrote:

I am contemplating sending a EM Corsa Extra frame to a framebuilder be
taken apart and resized in all the tubes. *Is this possible?

I'm late in replying to this, because I had to reflect on it a some
length.

Here's what I decided: *Your proposal is insane. *What are you
thinking?

There's nothing so special about any given frame that it warrants
dissecting and resizing. *If you're willing to hire a framebuilder for
an expensive job like this, just have him build you a frame to your
specifications, using new tubing and fittings.

If you're stuck on having Eddy Merckx graphics and logos, do this:
Find the biggest mean person you know and pay him $500 to slap the
excrement out of you, instead of spending the money on a pretentious
phony paint job. *It'll be better for you in the long run.

If you see "pretense", I experienced performance. But I understand
your point. Hence the poke at "Belgian Handmade" because I saw the
pictures of the machines before I saw the actual machines in the
factory, and I saw the filemarks under the paint, too. I guess, as a
friend used to say, "These are the hallmarks of authenticity" g.
"Special" implies "get one that fits and see if it's special, too".
--D-y