22 Sept. No petrol day

Old September 20th 05, 02:49 AM
Theo Bekkers

Default 22 Sept. No petrol day

Bob wrote:

What I need is a web calculator where I can enter my current
hypothetical vehicle type (and it ain't a 4wd), parking and toll
costs. Then select my preferred type of bike and see what model I am
allowed to buy. And presented in a report for my CFO's approval
("look, honey, it says I should buy either a Llewellyn or a Colnago
so we can save money, which one do you think")

You want to cost-justify your bicycle based on the cost of a vehicle you
can't cost-justify? Yeah, I can see where you're coming from.

Theo

Old September 20th 05, 02:55 AM
dave

Terry Collins wrote:
dave wrote:

Hmmm. I was under the impression that Computerbank will now only take
P2s and above. Shame as I have a bunch of perfectly good 133s

For Computerbank Sydney, this is the case. Unfortunately most recipients
like GUIs and modern incantations of Linux don't run too well in GUI
with a CPU under 1KHz and there is a very definite limit to the number
of routers, mail and web servers

Yeah well we are using lots of low end machines to run linux thru a
terminal server. It was one reason for keeping the 133s. We however
found an issue where we have a problem with serial mouse. So our
standard is machines with a PS2 mouse port.

The Terminals dont even need a hard drive

Then on top of a cludgy old box[#}, you have a decrepit old monitor or
two to dispose of as well.

I have many of these. Anyone in Hawthorn ish want working 14 inch
monitors? Nah? Didnt think so.,

I am told the Boonadara scheme is proper recycling. There is money in
the things. They are a money making resource worth millions if
approached right.

I think part of the money is in charging people to dispose of them
ethically "well that is toxic waste there and we charge $10 per monitor"

Na Boonadara is free. Well has been for me

And sadly, non of the disposal places are within bicycling distance
either so I can use them as a reason to go for a ride (trailer).

[#] Its okay, of my 17 computers here, only 3 are Pentium.

Linux rocks

Old September 20th 05, 02:57 AM
Theo Bekkers

TimC wrote:

Wow. GEOS on my C=128, running at 1MHz was pretty slow. I'd hate to
see it running at 1kHz

The first computer I installed ran at 1Kz, and it was a mainframe with a
whopping 32Kb of rod memory.

Theo

Old September 20th 05, 03:11 AM
Terry Collins

TimC wrote:

Wow. GEOS on my C=128, running at 1MHz was pretty slow. I'd hate to
see it running at 1kHz

Woops.

500Mhz is good enough for anyone.

Sadly, the current stock of P2s are 233Mhz as are the P1's.
One of the recent laughs was a request from a community group "for some
new computers to replace the crappy P2 we currently have".

Large CRT's can be had quite easily these days, as all companies move
to LCD. Bit of a waste really.

It isn't the large ones that are the problem. There are still enough
peeps who like 19"+ CRTs, large space or not.

I've got two 20" fixed freq SGI monitors (nice trinitron displays),
that virtually no one would know how to drive properly.

At one stage, I'd had no trouble, but I tried this recently and went
"wtf, where are the modelines". They've change all the X in Debian Linux
again and I understand another change is forecast. (something squabble
over licencing or something).

I've even got
it working on the console for one of my computers (where I could work
out the framebuffer device). They'd be a bitch to replace though, on
the bike as you say,

I built a (am building) bicycle trailer(s) for shifting small lots of
stuff around. Gone are the days where I'd even consider strapping a
large CRT to rack and wandering off.

and one of them is failing (the others sparks
occasionally, but I've put that down to cat hair, because the cat
sleeps on top of it).

Told you we have no problem with getting rid of large CRT's {:-)
Although with summer coming on, the demand might drop.

[#] Its okay, of my 17 computers here, only 3 are Pentium.

Does that include the Cray Y-MP EL?

Nope, none of ?(AECDHILMNSY). All Yumcha smorgasboard. Okay, I have a
Sun Classic as a door stop. {:-) Hmm, it might bolt to the rack and run
consoleless as bicycle computer/route logger (gota be far better than
the growing scrap heap of useless lappies)

Old September 20th 05, 03:36 AM
Theo Bekkers

Terry Collins wrote:

It isn't the large ones that are the problem. There are still enough
peeps who like 19"+ CRTs, large space or not.

I changed my 19" CRT for a 17" LCD. About the same size but nowhere near as
hard on the eyes.

The 40" LCD TV is nice too.

Theo

Old September 20th 05, 08:40 AM
alex

Theo Bekkers wrote:
Terry Collins wrote:

It isn't the large ones that are the problem. There are still enough
peeps who like 19"+ CRTs, large space or not.

I changed my 19" CRT for a 17" LCD. About the same size but nowhere near as
hard on the eyes.

The 40" LCD TV is nice too.

Theo

I noticed the same when my 19" CRT was being fixed, I didn't want it
back after using a 17" LCD for a few weeks... just have to convince the
supervisor

Old September 20th 05, 10:29 AM
Resound

"Theo Bekkers" wrote in message
Resound wrote:
"Theo Bekkers" wrote
You're comparing Ford technology to Mercedes technology?

I think he's comparing people who are convinced that they need a 2+
tonne offroad vehicle to commute in an urban environment to those who
choose more according to their actual needs.

Like a 1600 kg Commodore?
So do you really need more than a $200 bicycle?

Do you often compare dollars to kilograms? A 1600 kg Commodore is still a
pretty large car and I rather suspect that there are very few people who
NEED a car that size. The amount that I spend on a bicycle doesn't impact
those around me. The size and emissions of a vehicle does impact those
around them.

Oh, and where does he park?

In his assigned bay in the company carpark, of course. Right next to my
ute.

Surely he is entitled to buy the vehicle he wants and can afford. He
also has two quite nice bicycles, one with a dual kiddie trailer.
How much did you spend on your bicycle(s). and how do you
cost-jusify that?

$999 for the OCR3 and $10 for the fixie plus sundries.

****, I paid $1900 for my Conti Galli-Pro in 1987. But I just couldn't
resist upgrading the pedals to Superbe Pro a few months later. Those
pedals are, well, superb.

Theo

I'd like to have paid more and got a better bike, but then I'm a student so
the $8k road bike will just have to wait a while yet. I can't afford to run
a car, but I can afford to buy and run a bicycle. There's some basic cost
justification for you if the rest was a bit too complicated. (is that why
you simply cut it out and didn't comment on it?)

Oh, and with regards to buying and using any vehicle that the hip pocket
allows, should I feel completely justified, should I carry the appropriate
license and my income allow it, in commuting in a Kenworth? If you're
prepared to argue that I should then I suggest that there are some concepts
of civic responsibility that you rather badly need to examine.

Old September 20th 05, 10:30 AM
Resound

"Theo Bekkers" wrote in message
Bob wrote:
"PiledHigher" wrote

With that much to compensate for I surprised that he is capable of
making a baby!

Very cutting.

Mercedes-Benz C180K
1.8L, 4cyl, 105KW, $56,990 (yes this is the Australian price
http://tinyurl.com/durtj )

Hardly sounds like he is even trying to compensate for anything. What
is it about people's perception of Mercedes? That's cheaper than a
Monaro and a Landcruiser.

Cost of owning it is considerably less. Depreciation on the C180 after
three years is $16K. A Commodore depreciates that much in two.

Theo

Hell, on pretty much any level, I'd take the C180 over a Commodore.

Old September 20th 05, 10:59 AM
Bob

"Theo Bekkers" wrote in message

You want to cost-justify your bicycle based on the cost of a vehicle you
can't cost-justify?

I can't cost justify, but my wife still wants one. She still can't quite get
over the hurdle of logic regarding safety - i.e. they may be big but they
ain't necessarily safe. Which gives me a base to work from, while still
refusing to buy one. Rationality and logic don't seem to spend much time
bothering our household budget and financial plans, so I may as well use
this to my advantage for once.

Anyway, I am pro-choice. Drive 2 tonnes if you wish (not you particularly)
just drive safely when you are near me.

Old September 20th 05, 12:43 PM
ritcho

Bob Wrote:

[snip]

Anyway, I am pro-choice. Drive 2 tonnes if you wish (not you
particularly)
just drive safely when you are near me.

I'd extend that to all vehicles that are near me... anyway, I'm
pro-choice as well, as long as the external costs of the vehicle (i.e,
particularly the social cost of the pollution and general degradation
of the environment), are borne by the person buying and using the
vehicle. They can make the choice of whether it's worth it.

Ritch

--
ritcho