Goodbye

Old May 2nd 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Bill

Default Goodbye

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
On Tue, 01 May 2007 19:18:56 -0700, Bill wrote:

Accept this then. In the 50's I, as a youth, was unaware of the problem.

I accept that.

Now, in the 00's, as in informed person, you should be aware there was
a big problem back then. That's all I'm saying.

Truce.
Bill Baka
Old May 2nd 07, 06:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Zoot Katz

On Wed, 02 May 2007 17:23:43 GMT, Ryan Cousineau
wrote:

Never mind the XtraCycle, tell us more about the Miyata!

It was given to me in December by a friend who I'd helped move.

It's a 1986 Miyata One Thousand. Triple butted Cro-Mo frame with good
old-fashioned touring geometry. The paint isn't even too bad.

It doesn't have the original 40 spoke rear wheel and came without a
saddle or pedals. The chain, 6 spd freewheel and middle chain ring
had to be replaced before it would pedal under load without skipping.
I set it up with a shorter extension stem, moustache bars and
bar-cons. Replaced the freewheel with a seven speed, added new
fenders, 28mm tires, Eggbeaters and a Brooks Pro.

It's my new joe-bike. After riding mostly 26" wheeled bikes these
past six years it's a joy to have a fast commuter.
--
zk
Old May 2nd 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

In rec.bicycles.misc John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
On Wed, 02 May 2007 02:43:47 GMT, Bill wrote:
still me wrote:

POint of order "Jewish" isn't a language :-)

What, then? Yiddish?
I don't know all of em.

Just call it "foreigner" and you'll be fine. "My dad had to try to
speak foreigner to be understood by them. Learn ENGLISH!"

It works best if you speak. really. slowly. AND. REALLY. LOUDLY.

--
Dane Buson -
Human cardiac catheterization was introduced by Werner Forssman in 1929.
Old May 2nd 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Claire Petersky

"still me" wrote in message
On Wed, 02 May 2007 02:43:47 GMT, Bill wrote:

What, then? Yiddish?
I don't know all of em.

Yiddish or Hebrew (which are entirely different languages, if Yiddish
is a language).

Or Ladino.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Old May 2nd 07, 11:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Wed, 2 May 2007 13:52:20 +0200, "Sandy" wrote:

Dans le message de ,
John Forrest Tomlinson a réfléchi, et puis a
déclaré :

That's all I'm saying.

Promise???

LOL
--
JT
****************************
Old May 3rd 07, 04:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ryan Cousineau

Default Me Miyata

wrote:

Never mind the XtraCycle, tell us more about the Miyata!

It was given to me in December by a friend who I'd helped move.

It's a 1986 Miyata One Thousand. Triple butted Cro-Mo frame with good
old-fashioned touring geometry. The paint isn't even too bad.

It doesn't have the original 40 spoke rear wheel and came without a
saddle or pedals. The chain, 6 spd freewheel and middle chain ring
had to be replaced before it would pedal under load without skipping.
I set it up with a shorter extension stem, moustache bars and
bar-cons. Replaced the freewheel with a seven speed, added new
fenders, 28mm tires, Eggbeaters and a Brooks Pro.

It's my new joe-bike. After riding mostly 26" wheeled bikes these
past six years it's a joy to have a fast commuter.

Fast indeed. The 1000, if I remember correctly, was the top of the
Miyata line. What was your thinking on Eggbeaters versus SPDs? I ask
partly because I'm in the process of moving from mostly SPDs to mostly
Crank Brothers pedals for one reason: muck clearance during cyclocross
races (Eggbeaters are good at it, SPDs aren't).

But that's the only reason I changed.

Old May 3rd 07, 08:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Zoot Katz

On Thu, 03 May 2007 03:56:01 GMT, Ryan Cousineau
wrote, in part:
\
I set it up with a shorter extension stem, moustache bars and
bar-cons. Replaced the freewheel with a seven speed, added new
fenders, 28mm tires, Eggbeaters and a Brooks Pro.

It's my new joe-bike. After riding mostly 26" wheeled bikes these
past six years it's a joy to have a fast commuter.

Fast indeed. The 1000, if I remember correctly, was the top of the
Miyata line.

The only difference I noted looking at a model 600 of the same era is
the 1000 has better equipment and butted Cro-Mo fork blades. I think
they were infamous for coming stock with radial tires.

What was your thinking on Eggbeaters versus SPDs? I ask
partly because I'm in the process of moving from mostly SPDs to mostly
Crank Brothers pedals for one reason: muck clearance during cyclocross
races (Eggbeaters are good at it, SPDs aren't).

But that's the only reason I changed.

The sole reason I even considered clipless pedals of any sort is that
I fell in love with a picture of the Eggbeaters at Muzi's Yellow
Jersey site. After handling a pair at MEC, I had to have them.

I bought three pairs of the original SS and Cro-Mo ones. Crank Bros.
later offered them in more exotic materials. They've also added a
couple lower end models of the Eggbeater.Their newer designs appear
ugly to me. I mean, they've rendered two or three sides of a
perfectly good pedal totally useless by adding platforms.

Eggbeaters were, and still are, the only clipless pedal design that
ever looked like it was done right. The ruggedly simple design
wouldn't be out of place on an ordinary. They're plainly elegant.

My choosing Eggbeaters was purely an aesthetic decision.
--
zk
Old May 3rd 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ryan Cousineau

wrote, in part:
\
[...]

heh. I utterly sympathize on the matter of aesthetics, and own a set of
the Egg Beaters.

But I also have a set of Candys (and now some Smartys, which are the
cheapo Candy version). The reason for me buying the platform versions
was for cyclocross: when I remount, a miss on an Egg Beater is a bit
dicey, while with the Candy you still get a decent platform to put your
foot on.

This is, of course, a somewhat esoteric concern.

Old May 4th 07, 01:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
John Forrest Tomlinson

In another thread Mark Hickey wrote:
You've gotta go beyond CNN for your news, JT.

Well, certainly CNN has flaws, but Mark's implication that CNN has
liberal bias on politics is really being destroyed right now -- look
at the contrast of coverage of discussions with Syrian leaders by
Condelezza Rice, Nancy Pelosi, and Rebuplican congresspeople.
--
JT

Goodbye LMO Recumbent Biking 7 January 17th 07 10:49 AM
Goodbye TdF on OLN wimpyVO2 Racing 32 July 14th 06 03:37 AM
RR. Goodbye old friend freightgod Mountain Biking 3 October 24th 05 01:45 AM
goodbye small change Mountain Biking 8 May 25th 05 05:45 PM
Goodbye thinuniking Unicycling 2 March 3rd 04 07:42 PM