Who is liable for the damage?

Old October 24th 09, 02:09 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn[_2_]

Default Who is liable for the damage?

Adrian wrote in news:7kfs5qF38g566U1
@mid.individual.net:

Sorry, but your version of the story is hugely inconsistent, despite
changing with every post.

Perhaps as you appear to have been present, you can describe it instead.
Old October 24th 09, 02:17 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

BrianW wrote:
On 24 Oct, 08:09, NM wrote:
My friend, in Catford strangely enough almost at the end of Doug's
road, whilst driving her small shopping trolly car went to enter a
side road, She was entering from the main road by turning right, after
allowed the crossing pedestrians right of way she then pulled forward
to enter the street, at the last moment she spotted a cyclist, who had
right of way being on the main road but going in her opinion far too
fast for the amount of traffic and the general congestion of the
area.

She stopped immediatly and as her forward speed was insignificant at
this moment there was still sufficient room for the cyclist to pass
along the main road in front of her however the cyclist made the
assumption she was going to continue across his path so anchored up
and lost control, he came to a stop just as he collided with the car.

The problem was his feet were clamped to the bike with those stupid
toe grip racing thingys thus he couldn't put his feet on the floor, he
ended up uninjured sitting across the bonnet of her car still wearing
the cycle with resultant damage to the car's panel and paintwork.

Why should he not pay for the damage? He argues it's her fault and of
course, as is normal, he has no insurance.

Could I offer your friend some free legal advice? Feel free to pass
it on to her:

1. Get your ****ing eyes tested
2. Try looking left and right *before* pulling out of a side road

Was she turning out of a side road or into one?

3. Don't try to blame others for your **** driving.

I do hope that this is not the new term for "simply being on the road".
Old October 24th 09, 02:55 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

Mr. Benn wrote:

"Paul - xxx" wrote

If she didn't pull in front of him, how did he land on the bonet?
Did he defy physics and shoot off to the side, perhaps?

Try reading what NM wrote. The answer is there.

Please, enlighten me.

--
Paul - xxx

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp
Old October 24th 09, 02:58 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
NM

On 24 Oct, 13:23, BrianW wrote:
On 24 Oct, 08:09, NM wrote:

[...]

HTH.

You ignorant pig. why do you find it necessary to be so rude.
Old October 24th 09, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
D.M. Procida

Default Pedals (was: Who is liable for the damage?)

Mr. Benn wrote:

Hardly surprising really, cyclists in city centres are usually seen
with their feet firmly clipped to the pedals, obviously they have no
intentions of stopping at inconvenient little items like traffic
lights or pedestrian crossings seeing as they can't readily put a foot
on the floor.

Don't be absurd. You can as readily unclip from pedals as you can lift a
foot from a pedal. You don't know what you're talking about.

Rubbish.

I ride clipped in all the time, and it's not rubbish. Unclipping from my
pedals is as easy and immediate as if I were not using them. He doesn't
know what he is talking about.

The idea that people wearing clips in town are not planning on stopping
at things like traffic lights is just idiotic.

As you're one of the people who voted for the censored group because this
group was unreadable, why are you still here? Has it suddenly become
usable again?

This is Usenet, where we are pretty much free to do as we choose.

Newsgroups reset. I don't suppose anyone on uk.transport cares about
pedals.

Daniele
Old October 24th 09, 03:50 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
BrianW[_2_]

On 24 Oct, 14:17, JNugent wrote:
BrianW wrote:
On 24 Oct, 08:09, NM wrote:
[...]

OK, piece of advice number 2 should read "Try looking left and right
*before* pulling into or out of a side road"

3. Don't try to blame others for your **** driving.

I do hope that this is not the new term for "simply being on the road".-

No, it's an old term for people who don't look out for other road
users.
Old October 24th 09, 03:51 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
BrianW[_2_]

On 24 Oct, 14:58, NM wrote:
On 24 Oct, 13:23, BrianW wrote:

On 24 Oct, 08:09, NM wrote:

[...]

I'm afraid I'm always rude to trolls and idiots.
Old October 24th 09, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn[_2_]

(D.M. Procida) wrote in
:

Mr. Benn wrote:

Hardly surprising really, cyclists in city centres are usually
seen with their feet firmly clipped to the pedals, obviously they
have no intentions of stopping at inconvenient little items like
traffic lights or pedestrian crossings seeing as they can't
readily put a foot on the floor.

Don't be absurd. You can as readily unclip from pedals as you can
lift a foot from a pedal. You don't know what you're talking about.

Rubbish.

I ride clipped in all the time, and it's not rubbish. Unclipping from
my pedals is as easy and immediate as if I were not using them. He
doesn't know what he is talking about.

I watched a cyclist pull up outide a pub, got his feet stuck in the clips
and the whole bike + cyclist toppled sideways. It provided some brief
amusement for the people sitting outside.

The idea that people wearing clips in town are not planning on
stopping at things like traffic lights is just idiotic.

As you're one of the people who voted for the censored group because
this group was unreadable, why are you still here? Has it suddenly
become usable again?

This is Usenet, where we are pretty much free to do as we choose.

Newsgroups reset. I don't suppose anyone on uk.transport cares about
pedals.

Daniele

So now all the more vociferous posters have migrated to the censored
newsgroup, uk.rec.cycling is now more usable? It tells you a lot about the
people who were responsible for the apparent problems in this group then.
Old October 24th 09, 03:54 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

BrianW wrote:
On 24 Oct, 14:17, JNugent wrote:
BrianW wrote:
On 24 Oct, 08:09, NM wrote:
[...]

Hmmm.... I think you're going to have to amend it again - the cyclist was
coming in the oppoosite direction along the same major road.

3. Don't try to blame others for your **** driving.

I do hope that this is not the new term for "simply being on the road".-

No, it's an old term for people who don't look out for other road
users.

8 year bike rider accident with truck- who's liable? [email protected] General 74 December 8th 06 03:48 AM
Helment Damage. Evan Byrne Unicycling 48 April 21st 05 04:49 PM
Tire damage Roger Zoul General 0 May 4th 04 10:27 PM
What's this liable to cost? Doki UK 5 March 12th 04 08:09 PM
Cycle Event Director criminally liable for Competitor's death Snoopy Racing 78 September 10th 03 02:55 AM