durable rim suggestions

Old June 23rd 04, 05:51 AM

Default durable rim suggestions

After 9 years of trouble free service, the rear rim on my bike cracked
at one of the spoke holes. I want to reuse the Phil Wood freewheel hub
and have another durable wheel built.
The old wheel was a Mavic MA40 36h with straight 14 gauge spokes. I
weigh 210 lbs. and ride on smooth and rough pavement. Any suggestions
for a good rim to use? Torelli Master? Mavic MA3? Mavic Open Pro?
Bontrager Maverick? Sun CR-18?

Thanks,
Benny

Old June 23rd 04, 01:29 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

winter- I want to reuse the Phil Wood freewheel hub
and have another durable wheel built.
The old wheel was a Mavic MA40 36h with straight 14 gauge spokes. I
weigh 210 lbs. and ride on smooth and rough pavement. Any suggestions
for a good rim to use? Torelli Master? Mavic MA3? Mavic Open Pro? BRBR

Velocity Fusion, Deep V or Razor
Mavic CXP-33
Torelli Master or Expert

Stay away from the MA-3. We just had another one we built pull the eyelets out.
About a dozen so far.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old June 24th 04, 01:40 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

adr- I hope you complained to Mavic. Maybe they will bring back the superior
MA-2. BRBR

After about 8, we still got the 'really, that sure is unusual' standard
response.

BUT they took all our inventory of MA-3 back. Doubt the MA-2 will come back.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old June 24th 04, 02:24 PM
Peter Cole

"Gary Young" wrote

I've used CR-18s for years and am very pleased with their price, their
lack of sidewall machining and their durability. They're often used by
touring cyclists. They're quite a bit heavier than the Open Pro or
the Master, though.

I went with a CR-18 for my fixed gear rear wheel, since I weigh 235 and FG
rears take a bit of a beating. After several years and ~10K miles it's still
going strong.

Old June 27th 04, 04:13 PM
Benny

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 14:33:39 GMT, Paul Kopit
wrote:

The tandem wheel was what the owner wanted and is a weak choice.
Originally, they had Ksyriums that kept failing. Additionally, they
insist on 700x23 Michelin Pro Race tires, another very poor choice.
The tandem is a Cafee Dragonfly and weight is everything.

Obviously they had very different priorities than mine. I'm looking
for a durable trouble free wheelset built on my existing Phil Wood 36h
hubs. The MA-40 rims gave me 9 good years (about 14,000 miles) but I
don't want another hard anodized rim. If the MA-2 were still in
production, I'd have no decision to make. The best I can tell from the
reseach I've done is that the Torelli Master is the closest I can get
to the MA-2.
At 210 lbs, I'm not going to get too silly about grams, but I would
prefer a wheel slightly lighter than what I've had, definitely not
heavier. How much lighter is a 36 spoke wheel using 14/15 db spokes
vs. the straight 14 spokes I has before? How much lighter for 15/16?

Benny