high foldable rear rack for Bromptons?

Old April 19th 12, 08:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ck[_2_]

Default high foldable rear rack for Bromptons?

Difficulties to travel o a long distance European train increase everyday.
Hence I am planning to travel by train with a Brompton. But the Ortlieb
panniers can't be attached to the standard rear rack because they touch the
ground, Therefore a higher rear rack is needed.

Does anybody know if it exists a foldable rear rack for Brompton, high
enough to attach normal size Ortlieb panniers?

Thanks in advance,

Old April 19th 12, 08:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M-gineering

On 19-4-2012 9:22, ck wrote:

Difficulties to travel o a long distance European train increase
everyday. Hence I am planning to travel by train with a Brompton. But
the Ortlieb panniers can't be attached to the standard rear rack because
they touch the ground, Therefore a higher rear rack is needed.

Does anybody know if it exists a foldable rear rack for Brompton, high
enough to attach normal size Ortlieb panniers?

Thanks in advance,

converting a folding bike to a non-folding bike doesn't make sense.
Panniers won't work on a Brompton, but there are many other options
better suited to his particular design
--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl
Old April 19th 12, 09:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 4/19/2012 12:22 AM, ck wrote:

Difficulties to travel o a long distance European train increase
everyday. Hence I am planning to travel by train with a Brompton. But
the Ortlieb panniers can't be attached to the standard rear rack because
they touch the ground, Therefore a higher rear rack is needed.

Does anybody know if it exists a foldable rear rack for Brompton, high
enough to attach normal size Ortlieb panniers?

Thanks in advance,

Look at the Delta Rack with adjustable length, folding legs, if it's
still available.

http://www.gaerlan.com/bikeparts/acc/fender/fender.html

You should be able to fit this to the Brompton.

While the rack itself folds for compact storage, you'll need to remove
the rack to fold the Brompton, and there is no provision for wheels (but
those would not work in this case anyway). Watch the heel clearance on
the panniers.

If you're looking for something like the folding rear rack used on the
Bike Friday Tikit I think you're out of luck, unless you can fit the
Tikit rack to the Brompton.

Since the Brompton is not really designed for touring, I guess that
Brompton saw no reason to do something like Bike Friday did for the
Tikit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_LFoQklow4 where they also
thought of the heal clearance problem. Too bad, as I am sure you are not
the first person that ran into this problem.
Old April 19th 12, 03:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Apr 19, 4:22*am, SMS wrote:
On 4/19/2012 12:22 AM, ck wrote:

[...]

I bought the Delta rack to fit to a Bike Friday New World Tourist. I
got it to work, but it took some serious modification. Here's the
problem: The rack is not triangulated against fore-aft motion. The
two flat attachment members that reach forward from the rack to the
bike frame are pretty flexible, and for the Friday (as with a
Brompton, I suspect) they had to point downward as well as forward -
i.e. angled up and back from the bike to the rack. The main support
struts are also angled back, not vertical. So under load, the rack
behaves like a four-bar linkage; it tended to squat backward under
load.

I solved it by adding two more struts I fabricated from aluminum
tubing. These went from the front of the rack down and back to the
same attachment point as the main struts. In the side view, the new +
original struts form a triangle. The squatting problem was cured. I
designed the extra struts to pivot and fold for packing the bike, much
like the main ones.

Now, my use of the rack was not for panniers. Instead, I cut the main
struts down so the rack sat just above the 20" rear wheel. I took
advantage of the small wheel diameter to sit a Rick Steves Classic
Back Door Bag
http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/ca...entId=8&id=346
upright on the rack, just behind the seat mast. I added an attachment
at the back of the bike's saddle that clipped onto the bag's top, and
another that firmly fastened the bottom of the bag to the rack. One
bungee cord added redundancy.

With that bag and a handlebar bag, my wife and I were able to carry
enough clothing, etc. to travel to several European cities. The loads
were very stable, and overall the arrangement worked very well. We'll
use it again.

- Frank Krygowski
Old April 19th 12, 04:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

odd rack probs are solvable using 3/8ths 1/2" plywood, carefully painted edgewise, attached to rack with cable or home made u bolts/strapping.

I do'nt know Ortliebs but flat backed packs can take 2 vertical p;y strips as washers to bolt thru that ply/pack to ply rigged on the foundation rack.

Tho there's a lot of whinning abt weight here, itsnot all that much compared to a can of beans.

Very durabble. Also frees user from manufacturers standardization as in your app.

see abt making the top long enough allowing bike to stand veritcally on its end
Old April 20th 12, 04:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

good racks cost
OUAT, a rack review website was online
cheap racks are problematic.
with the standard $11 LBS rack under a light load, I rode out testing muh first real tires..CONTI TT !

snapped the racks forward seat tube end right off on the first swerve.
Old April 20th 12, 07:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

ck wrote:

Does anybody know if it exists a foldable rear rack for Brompton, high
enough to attach normal size Ortlieb panniers?

Normal sized panniers seem like they'd be just the thing for normal
sized bikes.

But if you run across any foldable 29 inch wheels in the course of
your search, please post a link. Something like that would be great
for making a folding bike that didn't ride like a bad joke.

Chalo
Old April 20th 12, 04:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 4/19/2012 11:50 PM, Chalo wrote:
ck wrote:

Does anybody know if it exists a foldable rear rack for Brompton, high
enough to attach normal size Ortlieb panniers?

Normal sized panniers seem like they'd be just the thing for normal
sized bikes.

But if you run across any foldable 29 inch wheels in the course of
your search, please post a link. Something like that would be great
for making a folding bike that didn't ride like a bad joke.

There are some good 20" folding bikes that ride well. 16" folders are
not designed to ride well, they are designed to fold small.

Folding wheels have been done:
http://www.ohgizmo.com/2008/02/04/crossbreed-folding-bicycle-wheel/

Old April 21st 12, 04:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

RIDING THE FOLDER IS SECONDARY

POINTS FOR BRINGING ONE OR TWO ALONG IS PRIMARY

'WE THOUGHT OF IT'

smile. good for you. enjoy. watch out for the SUV, ur dressed in black.