Ti frame's Chain Stay is too wide.

Old May 8th 12, 11:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kuzmin Ski Technology AB SkiTech

Default Ti frame's Chain Stay is too wide.

Hi,
I got a nice titanium frame and fork and will build a nice hybrid bike
with 28'' wheels:
Shimano Ultegra ST-6700 STI 2x10 Dual Control Levers 10-speed
Shimano Ultegra FD-6700 Front Derailleur 2x10 10-speed
Shimano Ultegra FC-6750 Crankset 2x10-speed
Shimano Deore XT RD-T780-SGS Rear Derailleur long 9-speed
Shimano Deore XT CS-M771-10 Cassette 10-speed 11-34
Shimano Ultegra CN-6700/6701 Chain 10-speed
Tektro RX 5 Mini V-Brake

But I got a problem: The chain stay is too wide, and I cannot properly
mount the crankset - 50t chainring touches the chain stay. Thus, I
need about 4 mm deep dent in the chain stay for proper seat. How I can
solve the problem?
My own suggestions:
1. Take hammer and make 4 mm deep dent in the chain stay. Probably it
is too dangerous for the chain stay (weakening of the stay);
2. To get SRAM Truvativ X9 GXP Crankset 2x10 (extra costs), and mount
it instead of Ultegra FC-6750. Chainline of SRAM Truvativ is 6 mm
wider. It should be enough;
What about my suggestions?
Old May 9th 12, 03:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On Wednesday, May 9, 2012 8:28:51 AM UTC+10, Kuzmin Ski Technology AB SkiTech wrote:
[...]

I would not intentionally dent the frame. What bottom bracket and crank was the frame designed for?

--
JS.
Old May 9th 12, 05:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
raamman

On May 8, 6:28*pm, Kuzmin Ski Technology AB SkiTech
wrote:
[...]

hitting things with a hammer always makes it work better
Old May 9th 12, 08:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 9, 4:57*am, James wrote:
[...]

"What bottom bracket and crank was the frame designed for?" - Sorry, I
do not know it. I try to mount with Shimano BB6700 Bottom Bracket.
Old May 9th 12, 08:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kuzmin Ski Technology AB SkiTech

On May 9, 5:36*am, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 8 May 2012 15:28:51 -0700 (PDT), Kuzmin Ski Technology AB

SkiTech wrote:
[...]

You don't mention the bottom bracket. If the one piece, shaft and
bearings, type buy one with a longer shaft. If a two piece crank then
use another spacer under the R.H. bearing.
--
John B.

It is Shimano BB6700 Bottom Bracket

Old May 9th 12, 10:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M-gineering

wrote:
[...]

Doesn't work with brushed titanium though, as you can't paint it to match

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl
Old May 9th 12, 10:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

*wrote:
[...]

Sorry Marten. What does not work?
Old May 9th 12, 06:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

wrote:
[...]

Those Honjo hammered fenders look nice, why not hammered titanium frames?
Old May 10th 12, 12:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 10/05/12 09:44, John B. wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Sorry. The BB6700 is an external bearing two piece crank and it is
possible to shim the right side bearing to move the sprocket out a
bit. Whether this is a good thing to do depends on the installation.
You can download detailed instructions from Shimano explaining how to
set the chain line correctly. It is probably the best bet to start out
there.

4mm out?

I would be reluctant to just bang away on the chain stay as you could
conceivably distort it and the rear axle could end up cocked. I think
if it were mine and I couldn't solve the problem another way I'd take
the frame to a frame builder, or really good repair shop, and have
them press a flat on the chain stay and then check the alignment and
correct if necessary.

The frame was (hopefully) designed to use at least one type of BB and
crank. I'd be trying to find out what that combination was.

--
JS.