Paris Smog: cars banned

Old March 23rd 15, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Judith[_4_]

Default Paris Smog: cars banned

Paris has introduced emergency measures to ban half of the vehicles from the
city’s roads after a noxious smog descended on the French capital.

Only “clean” cars, those with uneven number plates or vehicles carrying more
than three people have been permitted to enter Paris and 22 surrounding areas
on Monday in an attempt to reduce the level of fine PM10 particles from diesel
engines.

Vehicles were also ordered to travel at a maximum 20kph in the city.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...asures-traffic

Martin Pietz, a German photographer living in Paris, said he could hardly
breathe when cycling to work.

I'm not sure about that last bit: we have been told time and time again that
cyclists do not suffer from pollution in the same way that car drivers do.
(The car air intakes are near the road and get all the pollution - whilst the
cyclists are above it and breathe nice clean air: or so we've been told)

Old March 24th 15, 03:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

Paris has introduced emergency measures to ban half of the vehicles from the
city's roads after a noxious smog descended on the French capital.

Only "clean" cars, those with uneven number plates or vehicles carrying more
than three people have been permitted to enter Paris and 22 surrounding areas
on Monday in an attempt to reduce the level of fine PM10 particles from diesel
engines.

Vehicles were also ordered to travel at a maximum 20kph in the city.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...asures-traffic

Martin Pietz, a German photographer living in Paris, said he could hardly
breathe when cycling to work.

I'm not sure about that last bit: we have been told time and time again that
cyclists do not suffer from pollution in the same way that car drivers do.

Noise, CO, carcinogenic dust, everything negative about ICE hits cyclists first.

Hopefully the UK/London will have the common sense to follow the French in Paris.

After all, the diesel was invented in Paris, the safety bike in the UK.

Old March 24th 15, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling, uk.legal
Nick[_4_]

On 23/03/2015 16:56, Judith wrote:

Martin Pietz, a German photographer living in Paris, said he could hardly
breathe when cycling to work.

I'm not sure about that last bit: we have been told time and time again that
cyclists do not suffer from pollution in the same way that car drivers do.
(The car air intakes are near the road and get all the pollution - whilst the
cyclists are above it and breathe nice clean air: or so we've been told)

Who told you cyclist don't suffer from pollution?

Pollution is the biggest reservation I have about riding in central
London. Whilst I don't wear a helmet I do wear a mask.
Old March 24th 15, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sig[_3_]

On 24/03/2015 03:32, Bret Cahill wrote:
[...]

Diesel fuel originated from experiments conducted by German scientist
and inventor Rudolf Diesel for his compression-ignition engine he
invented in 1892. Diesel originally designed his engine to use coal dust
as fuel and experimented with other fuels including vegetable oils such
as peanut oil, which was used to power the engines which he exhibited at
the 1900 Paris Exposition and the 1911 World's Fair in Paris.
Old March 24th 15, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Rob Morley

On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 07:59:07 +0000
Nick wrote:

On 23/03/2015 16:56, Judith wrote:

Martin Pietz, a German photographer living in Paris, said he could
hardly breathe when cycling to work.

I'm not sure about that last bit: we have been told time and time
again that cyclists do not suffer from pollution in the same way
that car drivers do. (The car air intakes are near the road and get
all the pollution - whilst the cyclists are above it and breathe
nice clean air: or so we've been told)

Who told you cyclist don't suffer from pollution?

Pollution is the biggest reservation I have about riding in central
London. Whilst I don't wear a helmet I do wear a mask.

The idea is that the occupants of cars in heavy traffic get their air
from nearer the exhaust of the vehicle in front than do cyclists. But
clearly this is not the case with smog, which forms a layer up to
hundreds of feet thick.

Old March 24th 15, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Joe

On 23/03/2015 16:56, Judith wrote:
Paris has introduced emergency measures to ban half of the vehicles from the
city’s roads after a noxious smog descended on the French capital.

Only “clean” cars, those with uneven number plates or vehicles carrying more
than three people have been permitted to enter Paris and 22 surrounding areas

Don't *all* cars registered in Paris have a 73 plate?

Old March 24th 15, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Rob Morley

On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 16:00:34 +0000
Joe wrote:

On 23/03/2015 16:56, Judith wrote:
Paris has introduced emergency measures to ban half of the vehicles
from the city’s roads after a noxious smog descended on the French
capital.

Only “clean” cars, those with uneven number plates or vehicles
carrying more than three people have been permitted to enter Paris
and 22 surrounding areas

Don't *all* cars registered in Paris have a 73 plate?

It means the number at the beginning of the (old style) reg, not the
region code that's tacked on the end.

Old March 24th 15, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling, uk.legal
Nick[_4_]

Nick wrote:

On 23/03/2015 16:56, Judith wrote:

Martin Pietz, a German photographer living in Paris, said he could
hardly breathe when cycling to work.

I'm not sure about that last bit: we have been told time and time
again that cyclists do not suffer from pollution in the same way
that car drivers do. (The car air intakes are near the road and get
all the pollution - whilst the cyclists are above it and breathe
nice clean air: or so we've been told)

Who told you cyclist don't suffer from pollution?

Pollution is the biggest reservation I have about riding in central
London. Whilst I don't wear a helmet I do wear a mask.

The idea is that the occupants of cars in heavy traffic get their air
from nearer the exhaust of the vehicle in front than do cyclists. But
clearly this is not the case with smog, which forms a layer up to
hundreds of feet thick.

But cyclists tend to breath much more deeply and through the mouth.

The height difference you refer to is not that great.

Finally I know cycling in London gives me a hacking cough if I don't
wear a mask.
Old March 24th 15, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Mr Pounder

Nick wrote:

[...]

What a stupid thing to do and what an awful place to live.

Old March 25th 15, 07:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling, uk.legal
Nick[_4_]

On 24/03/2015 22:02, Mr Pounder wrote:

What a stupid thing to do and what an awful place to live.

It is where the money is. As they say, London is a first class city
attached to a third class country.

I would be happy with an independent London devolved from the rest of
the UK.