Legs that don't match

Old October 22nd 05, 03:37 PM
Richard Greenberg

Default Legs that don't match

Hi all. I have one leg that is about 1/2 longer than the other. I can't
quite decide whether to order a bike (I'm looking seriously at the folding
BikeFriday) with two different length cranks, or not. I ride a recumbent
exercise bike every day and find it comfortable, but in order for it to feel
right, one of my feet ends up contacting the pedals (there are straps on the
pedals that do not restrict front to back foot position) in a different spot
than the other foot.

Any thoughts on this?

Old October 22nd 05, 04:55 PM
Ohio Jerry

"Richard Greenberg" wrote in message
Hi all. I have one leg that is about 1/2 longer than the other. I can't
quite decide whether to order a bike (I'm looking seriously at the folding
BikeFriday) with two different length cranks, or not. I ride a recumbent
exercise bike every day and find it comfortable, but in order for it to

feel
right, one of my feet ends up contacting the pedals (there are straps on

the
pedals that do not restrict front to back foot position) in a different

spot
than the other foot.

Any thoughts on this?

I have a gut feeling that probably the best thing you can do is build up the
pedal or the sole of the shoe for the short leg by 1/2 inch. You're going
to have to deal with some sort of pedaling asymmetry no matter what you do.

Jerry

Old October 22nd 05, 10:55 PM
Pat

"Richard Greenberg" wrote in message
: Hi all. I have one leg that is about 1/2 longer than the other. I can't
: quite decide whether to order a bike (I'm looking seriously at the folding
: BikeFriday) with two different length cranks, or not. I ride a recumbent
: exercise bike every day and find it comfortable, but in order for it to
feel
: right, one of my feet ends up contacting the pedals (there are straps on
the
: pedals that do not restrict front to back foot position) in a different
spot
: than the other foot.

I have a Bike Friday---the Pocket Gnu. They'll make it to fit you any way
and every way they can. It's a great bike. I put it in the suitcase and took
it to Ireland last month. It was so easy to do! I stayed at hostels and
bought food at grocery stores to make a cheap trip.

Pat in TX

Old October 23rd 05, 12:01 AM
Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic

Richard Greenberg wrote:
Hi all. I have one leg that is about 1/2 longer than the other. I can't
quite decide whether to order a bike (I'm looking seriously at the folding
BikeFriday) with two different length cranks, or not. I ride a recumbent
exercise bike every day and find it comfortable, but in order for it to feel
right, one of my feet ends up contacting the pedals (there are straps on the
pedals that do not restrict front to back foot position) in a different spot
than the other foot.

Any thoughts on this?

If you put a shorter crank on the same side as your shorter leg, you
will compensate for the difference at maximum leg extension. HOWEVER,
your shorter leg will be considerably more extended at its closest
position than your longer leg.

If you use clipless pedals, I would find a shoe that can accept a
custom spacer between the sole and cleat to compensate for your unequal
leg lengths.
--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old October 23rd 05, 05:43 AM
Jeff Wills

Richard Greenberg wrote:
Hi all. I have one leg that is about 1/2 longer than the other. I can't
quite decide whether to order a bike (I'm looking seriously at the folding
BikeFriday) with two different length cranks, or not. I ride a recumbent
exercise bike every day and find it comfortable, but in order for it to feel
right, one of my feet ends up contacting the pedals (there are straps on the
pedals that do not restrict front to back foot position) in a different spot
than the other foot.

Any thoughts on this?

Which leg?

My right leg is half an inch shorter than my left. I haven't done
anything special to compensate for it, aside from really paying
attention to the cleat alignment on my SPD shoes. Adjusting the cleats
so the left one is further back than the right one (they're different
angle-wise, also) allows me to pedal somewhat smoothly. When I'm tired,
my right leg can still spin while my left leg wants to stomp.

I've heard that if you use shims to compensate for the difference, you
should only compensate for about 2/3 of the difference. The muscles and
joints of your legs, hips, and back have grown to match the leg-length
difference, and you could create problems by forcing your body in the
other direction.

Unless *all* of the difference you have is in the upper leg (femur),
I'd avoid using different size cranks. A general rule is to compensate
for upper leg differences with the cranks, while compensating for lower
leg differences by shimming cleats or pedals.

One of these days I'm going to have a full bike fitting done by a local
bike fitting professional. Fortunately, the guy I'd be dealing with is
an expert- he's a guy that trains bicycle shop staff on fitting, all
over the U.S.:
http://www.bikegallery.com/content/B...D-fitting.html , and
he's not recumbent-adverse.

Jeff

Old November 2nd 05, 05:36 AM
Ken Bradley

Yes I have the same problem. I just put a block under one cleat on my
short side. I have heard that if you upper leg is long, you should use a
longer crank arm on that side. I have not tested this theory.
"Richard Greenberg" wrote in message
Hi all. I have one leg that is about 1/2 longer than the other. I can't
quite decide whether to order a bike (I'm looking seriously at the folding
BikeFriday) with two different length cranks, or not. I ride a recumbent
exercise bike every day and find it comfortable, but in order for it to

feel
right, one of my feet ends up contacting the pedals (there are straps on

the
pedals that do not restrict front to back foot position) in a different

spot
than the other foot.

Any thoughts on this?

One advantage of shaved legs. Simon Mason UK 36 April 21st 05 02:48 AM
Swap lower legs on fork? clubob Techniques 1 December 2nd 04 08:40 AM
Learner with tired legs wants advice 1mthead Unicycling 4 September 8th 04 12:36 PM
True Story: Shaved Legs SM Australia 4 October 9th 03 11:55 PM
RFI:700c carbon fork - straight vs curved legs Mark Hickey Techniques 4 August 8th 03 02:02 AM