Canal camping

Old July 19th 04, 10:44 PM
Kevin Stone

Default Canal camping

Hi,

I'm about to cycle the Four Counties Ring, which encompasses 110 miles of
canal around me.

What are the rules of camping on/near canals? Can I just jump over the
nearest hedge and set up tent? Or should I try to find proper sites on the
route.

Many thanks for any advice.

--
Kev

Old July 20th 04, 09:04 AM
Peter Clinch

Kevin Stone wrote:

What are the rules of camping on/near canals?

Camping on them isn't recommended unless it's /very/ cold. Tends to be
a bit wet and people keep wanting to drive boats through your front door.

[sorry]

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old July 20th 04, 09:42 AM
Mark Thompson

I'm about to cycle the Four Counties Ring, which encompasses 110 miles
of canal around me.

What are the rules of camping on/near canals? Can I just jump over the
nearest hedge and set up tent? Or should I try to find proper sites on
the route.

Hope you're not going to be getting water from the canal shudders :-)

Wild[1] camping is fine and not illegal in the slightest if you don't get
caught. Well, that's not true in the slightest, but the worse they can do
is ask you to leave. Camp somewhere out of sight and don't leave any
litter and I can't see any problems. I'll be doing something similar for
my LEJOG [now slipped to September :-( ] so let me know if you do end up in
a prison cell.

Mark.

[1] Seems a silly term in when done in England.
Old July 20th 04, 10:01 PM
Nick Kew

In article ,
Gonzalez writes:

Not at all. I've just returned from three days on Dartmoor. *Wild
Camping* is the correct term.

Indeed. But I suspect the qualifier was about the devaluation of
the term "wild", when applied to a country that has no wilderness.

Dartmoor is horribly overgrazed. Our river valleys are less spoiled -
except where denuded of all nature by toxic residues from old mining works.

--
Nick Kew

Nick's manifesto: http://www.htmlhelp.com/~nick/
Old July 20th 04, 10:53 PM
CloseSupport

Camping you mean in a tent!

whats wrong with roughin it, i know i have on many occassions just set out
with sleeping bag and a very large garden refuge sack, keeps the sleep9ng
bag dry. plus it is easier to carry without the tents poles and stuff as if
food stuff ain't bulky enough.

Old July 21st 04, 12:56 AM
Mark Thompson

Not at all. I've just returned from three days on Dartmoor. *Wild
Camping* is the correct term.

Indeed. But I suspect the qualifier was about the devaluation of
the term "wild", when applied to a country that has no wilderness.

Correct. Though thinking about it England's got the odd big cat slinking
around and a fast growing wild boar population that covers the country, so
I shouldn't be so dismissive.