How much to pay for a cycle helmet?

Old August 3rd 09, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith M Smith

Default How much to pay for a cycle helmet?

On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 01:32:00 +0100, Phil W Lee
phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote:
snip

One assumes that he'd go to a gardening newsgroup to ask about the
best type of fertiliser will keep his lawn perfectly manicured, and
reject any suggestion that a lawnmower may be more effective and
practical.

Some people who post here also post in uk.rec.gardening.

Have a look at it - see what a pleasant place it is.

Try and find a "snide" answer to any question.

Notice how people acknowledge when they are wrong.

Reflect on what you have observed.

Come back here with a conclusion.

--

Vote NO to the proposed group uk.rec.cycling.moderated aka uk.rec.cycling.censored

Old August 3rd 09, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith M Smith

On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 21:14:00 +0100, Daniel Barlow
wrote:

Marc writes:

Daniel Barlow wrote:
http://www.smf.org/certlist/std_B-90...90C_B-95C.html

and ....
DUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quack quack. One of the worst things about the crap that judith et al
have put this group through is that it causes people to be much more
ready to jump to "troll" conclusions when they see posts about
hot-button posts from new or unfamiliar names.

-dan

Spot on (apart from the fact that I have put the group through crap).

And that is exactly why the group has turned to rat-shot.

That is NOT as a direct result of me and others - it was already on
the downhill slope - with regulars at the helm - when I first
visited.

I think you will find that I have only responded to individuals
"vigorously" when it was required/encouraged.

Have a look at the response which newcomers get here.

It was the responses which I got, when I first came here, which
encouraged me to stay.

--

Vote NO to the proposed group uk.rec.cycling.moderated aka uk.rec.cycling.censored

Old August 3rd 09, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
burtthebike

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message
On 2 Aug, 23:12, "burtthebike" wrote:
"Rob Morley" wrote in message

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 14:57:40 -0700
"burtthebike" wrote:

This is actually another urban myth. The only research showing that
the helmet fit was necessary for protection was from Thompson, Rivara
and Thompson.

But if it's uncomfortable or insecure it's reducing your primary safety.

How?

Look, I'm not arguing that an inch of polystyrene foam is going to
protect you if a 40 ton truck goes over you. But if that inch of
polystyrene foam slips off your head, or gets pushed off your head,
before your head hits the pavement, there wasn't much point in wearing
it in the first place. And believe me I've seen many people
(particularly children) with helmets so ill-fitting and loose that
they would be likely to slip off in a crash.

If you're going to argue that helmets aren't worth wearing anyway,
then I won't disagree with you - I don't wear one. For me their
doubtful benefit from a safety point of view is greatly outweighed by
their manifest discomfort and inconvenience. But for people who do
choose to wear them, it's important to ensure that the helmet will
still be in place on the head when called upon to do its job.

Sorry Rob, I don't quite understand this. You appear to agree that helmets
are not effective, but then say that it's important that they stay in place.
If they aren't effective, what possible difference does it make whether they
stay on or not?

Old August 3rd 09, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
congokid

In article , Mr. Benn
%%@%%.% writes

Thanks for the info. Are helmets ranked anywhere in terms of safety?

Which? Magazine used to publish reviews of different bike helmet brands,
which I think included best buys based on cost, fit, comfort and
possibly some kind of physical testing procedure. I'm sure my choice of
helmet, bought many years ago but unworn for at least the last 10, was
based on information provided in Which. But it hasn't carried this kind
of review for several years.
--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...
Old August 3rd 09, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 20:43:01 +0100, Phil W Lee
phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote:

Becuase if they slip backwards, they could strangle you with the
strap.

That's only happened in a tiny number of cases, all children, and I
think all wearing them while playing off the bike.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/urc | http://www.nohelmetlaw.org.uk/
"Nullius in Verba" - take no man's word for it.
Old August 4th 09, 07:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

"burtthebike" wrote:

[...]

You appear to be asking me to explain something that Simon wrote.

Old August 4th 09, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke[_2_]

On 3 Aug, 17:22, "burtthebike" wrote:
[...]

I do wish you'd quote conventionally, it would make life easier for
all of us...

Helmets are very effective for what they're designed for - which is
saving your head from scrapes and bruising if you fall off your
bicycle. They are not at all effective for something they were never
designed to do, and which their manufacturers have never pretended
they could do - which is saving your head from life-threatening injury
if you are in collision with a moving motor vehicle.

It's a matter of a judgement call whether you think lowering the risk
of scrapes and bruising is worth the discomfort and inconvenience of
wearing a helmet. For children, who tend to fall of a lot, it may be.
If you think it is, then fine; but if you're going to wear one (or ask
your child to wear one), then remember it won't work if it falls (or
slips) off your head.

If, however, you think wearing a helmet is going to save your life
when you're hit by a car, don't take my word for it. Write to the
manufacturers of your helmet and ask them.
Old August 4th 09, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
burtthebike

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 09:22:08 -0700
"burtthebike" wrote:

Sorry Rob, I don't quite understand this. You appear to agree that
helmets are not effective, but then say that it's important that they
stay in place. If they aren't effective, what possible difference
does it make whether they stay on or not?

You appear to be asking me to explain something that Simon wrote.

Sorry again Rob, but to you this time!

Old August 5th 09, 12:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andy Key[_5_]

Mr. Benn wrote:

I'm not too bothered about style, more about safety and comfort. My bike
lost any style it ever had a long time ago.

Are there any particular brands and suppliers which anyone can recommend?
I'm prepared to pay up to £50 or so.

sigh

Just for the heck of it, I'll try answering the question.

Met, Bell, Giro, Specialized. You will find at least two of these brands
in any proper bike shop. Brands like Selev, Limar and Catlike seem to
get reasonable reviews but are harder to find.

Don't buy online. There is no substitute for trying before you buy, as
both heads and helmets come in different shapes and all the clever
adjustment devices can't make a round helmet sit comfortably on an
oval-shaped head or vice versa.

Spending more may buy you better comfort, ventilation, durability,
convenience, adjustability or light weight, but *not* more safety.
Ventilation and weight can improve significantly between the £50 and £70
price points, so I'd look for a £70 model that's been reduced to £50 in
the sale. Cheap helmets (less than £25, let's say) may be very sweaty
and uncomfortable and the foam pads may fall apart the first time you
wash them. Though if you find that a cheap model is the most comfortable
for your head shape, go for it.

I mostly wear a helmet when mountain-biking because I find it useful for
head-butting low-hanging branches and brambles out of the way (just call
me Mister Risk Compensation).
Old August 5th 09, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Clark[_5_]

In message
Andy Key wrote:

I mostly wear a helmet when mountain-biking because I find it useful
for head-butting low-hanging branches and brambles out of the way
(just call me Mister Risk Compensation).

;-)

--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,

Best cycle helmet for under £10? Brian D'Amarge. UK 10 December 1st 04 02:45 PM
Does anyone cycle wearing a MOTORCYCLE HELMET ? [email protected] UK 31 August 24th 04 12:05 PM
Novel cycle helmet. Simon Mason UK 2 May 18th 04 03:19 PM
Large Cycle Helmet - what and where? BigMac UK 8 April 27th 04 07:33 PM
Halfords Cycle Helmet Richard Bates UK 2 March 31st 04 06:17 PM