Cyclists waste petrol

Old September 11th 18, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

Default Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert

On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 11:39:22 -0700 (PDT), Simon Jester, the mentally
challenged, troll-feeding, senile cretin, blabbered again:

Yes, but it's better that it doesn't change gear a lot, then the ride is smoother.

I drove a CVT hire car once, it was weird.

What could be weirder than watching a useless puerile ****** and a useless
senile oaf having a "conversation"! LOL
Old September 11th 18, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

Default Cyclists waste petrol

On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 19:39:22 +0100, Simon Jester wrote:

On Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 6:33:28 PM UTC+1, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 16:48:16 +0100, Simon Jester wrote:

On Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 3:18:02 PM UTC+1, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 13:45:12 +0100, TMS320 wrote:

On 11/09/18 00:50, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 00:25:53 +0100, TMS320 wrote:

On 09/09/18 00:50, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 23:33:39 +0100, TMS320
wrote:

On 08/09/18 22:29, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

I agree that all cars should be automatic. But for some
reason the UK hasn't caught up with the US in this respect.

Actually, Europe hasn't caught up with the rest of the world..
And to prove it hasn't a clue it invented the dual clutch.

Never had one of those, are they a bad thing then? Top Gear
seems to like them.

They were developed for racing. They probably work quite well where
the fast upshifts minimise breaks in power. They are said not to
cope with low speeds particularly well where the preselection can
be indecisive. Non-European markets don't like the abrupt shifts.
They have been the subject of warranty claims and law suits.

Why the **** would there be a lawsuit over shifting quickly?

Hmm... OK.
...there are also times they don't shift at all.

Ford recently dropped "Power****" and went back to a conventional
auto. PSA stayed with proper Japanese boxes all along without
putting themselves through the same learning process and it seems
some brands have quietly dropped auto completely from some models
where second hand cars with the box can be found in Autotrader..

Why are people so stupid as to want to change gears themselves when
the car can do it for you? An automatic is a wonder to drive in
comparison. You just press one of two pedals. Go faster or go
slower, simple.

As I said, the Europeans are a long way behind the rest of the world.
Europeans seem to put more value on cosmetic additions, rather than
genuine driving aids.

The "basic" rental sedan I hired in the US a couple of years ago had
steel wheels and tyres with proper sidewalls. But it had a 2.4 engine
headlined as 180hp and an electrically adjustable driver's seat (*).
Here, a base model comes with a wheezy little engine and if a proper
engine is wanted it has to be accompanied by a load of overpriced tat.

(*) A brilliant piece of kit. Not available here even on some £40k plus
models. You're driving a long distance and want a change of position? -
just nudge it with the buttons.

And every auto I've had, you can't even feel it changing, as the
torque converter smudges the two gears together way better than any
clutch could.

A lot depends on the shift mapping. The proper thing to do is that if
the engine can produce the requested power in the next gear it should
change up; if it can't produce the requested power in the current gear
it should change down. At part load there should only be a change of
engine speed and never a step change in power. Some manufacturers must
either not understand this simple principle or think they're being
clever by doing something different.

My 4sp often gets confused whether to be in 1st or 2nd at 10-12mph
because of some kind of clever dick mode. Rolling through a junction
(where one would be in 2nd in a manual) more often than not produces
undesirable lurching.

How odd. Every auto I've had doesn't change gears at low speeds at all, but just uses the torque converter.

I don't care which gear my car uses anymore than I care what fuel/air ratio it uses or how it advances the ignition timing. I would rather concentrate on safe driving.

Yes, but it's better that it doesn't change gear a lot, then the ride is smoother.

I drove a CVT hire car once, it was weird.The most amusing thing was the 'sport' mode button, on a Nissan 1l Micra.

I've never seen a Micra go over 60mph. But then that's probably down to the pathetic drivers who buy them.

Still, don't they weigh about half a tonne? They should have decent acceleration due to this.

Ask Pounder, he had one before his jumbo Micra (Juke).
Old September 12th 18, 04:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
rbowman[_2_]

On 09/11/2018 03:46 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 18:52:24 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 18:31:06 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 04:45:21 +0100, rbowman
wrote:

On 09/09/2018 05:48 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
In the UK the cops are in fear of being done for assault. They're
always very polite and behave like girls. It's quite funny arguing
with
a traffic cop, they let you insult them.

Yes, well that's the UK... I'm sure you read enough US news to
realize
this is not the UK.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/officer-ar...ry?id=57715416

How ****ed up do you have to be to think you're in your house when
you're
in someone else's?

There might just be a reason for that immortal 'little boxes' line.

What?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_2lGkEU4Xs

I did once see someone get confused as to where he lived, but that was
council flats and he was drunk.

This one was in a block of flats. The lift stopped at the
floor above hers, his door was ajar so pushing the key
into the lock saw the door swing open and she claims
that the lights were out and she could see only his
silhouette and that she got no response when she
told him to put his hands up, so she shot him.

Corse its easy to make most of that up after he is dead.

First rule of cop craft -- no witnesses.
Old September 12th 18, 04:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
rbowman[_2_]

On 09/11/2018 04:36 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
And Hyundais arent the only sensible fuel efficient small car,
every major manufacturer except the stupid yanks has one.

The stupid tanks are bright enough to know they don't sell in Yankland.
Ford is dropping everything besides pickups and SUVs although it's
rumored one of the larger sedans might survive.
Old September 12th 18, 05:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed

rbowman wrote
Rod Speed wrote

And Hyundais arent the only sensible fuel efficient small car,
every major manufacturer except the stupid yanks has one.

The stupid tanks are bright enough to know they don't sell in Yankland.

You lot have always run that line, and the car buyers have always
proved you wrong with the VW beetle, the Golf and Polo, then
the Japs with the Corolla and Yaris and now the Koreans.

Ford is dropping everything besides pickups and SUVs

There's a reason your major car manufacturers keep going broke.

Ford has sensible fuel efficient small cars here, but they are
mostly done by Mazda and rebadged. Stupid approach.

although it's rumored one of the larger sedans might survive.

Then they are the next one to go broke.
Old September 12th 18, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving

On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 18:38:02 +0100
"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 15:32:39 +0100, wrote:

On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 15:17:59 +0100
"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 13:45:12 +0100, TMS320 wrote:
My 4sp often gets confused whether to be in 1st or 2nd at 10-12mph
because of some kind of clever dick mode. Rolling through a junction
(where one would be in 2nd in a manual) more often than not produces
undesirable lurching.

How odd. Every auto I've had doesn't change gears at low speeds at all,=
but just uses the torque converter.

Mine will often move off in 2nd if I use any throttle other than nailing it
to the floor. I used to think it was a fault but its just the way its been
programmed. I'm sure the designers thought it was a good idea to reduce wear
but if I suddenly need to accelerate away, eg at a junction , then I often

have
to wait for the ****er to kick down which can get hairy on a busy road.

I've never had that problem with any of the 3 autos I've owned (Range Rover
'88 3.5L V8 petrol/LPG, VW Golf '98 1.9L TDI, Honda CRV 2L petrol/LPG). If I
use a small amount of acceleration, it takes off with about 2000 revs and
maintains those revs almost precisely by using the torque converter then
eventually changing gears. Only once I'm going about 40-50mph do I see gear
changes on the rev counter, but barely feel them. If I floor it, I can feel
it changing gear, but it doesn't jerk the car much at all, it feels like a
racing driver is changing the gears very smoothly.

There are two things that feel like a gear change in an auto - actual gear
changes and torque converter lock up. The latter is much less dramatic but
still noticable by a slight drop in revs when it happens.

The best things about an auto a
You have your hands free to use the indicator at junctions.
You can overtake someone without having to work out how low a gear would be
possible.

I started driving autos because I got sick of doing a left leg workout in
traffic with a manual. If I lived out in the sticks somewhere instead of
London it might have been a different story. Mind you, if you think a car
manual gearbox is bad try driving an HGV with a range splitter. God almighty
what a PITA they are. No wonder a lot of lorry drivers are also driving autos
these days. Of course not helped by engines that have a torque peak the width
of a fag paper hence 18+ gears being required sometimes.

Old September 12th 18, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving

TMS320 wrote:
On 11/09/18 00:50, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
Why are people so stupid as to want to change gears themselves when
the car can do it for you? An automatic is a wonder to drive in
comparison. You just press one of two pedals. Go faster or go
slower, simple.

As I said, the Europeans are a long way behind the rest of the world.
Europeans seem to put more value on cosmetic additions, rather than
genuine driving aids.

The "basic" rental sedan I hired in the US a couple of years ago had
steel wheels and tyres with proper sidewalls. But it had a 2.4 engine
headlined as 180hp and an electrically adjustable driver's seat (*).
Here, a base model comes with a wheezy little engine and if a proper
engine is wanted it has to be accompanied by a load of overpriced tat.

If anything qualifies as wheezing its a 2.4 that can only muster 180hp. That
might have been par for the course back in the 80s or 90s but today its

pretty
pathetic.

They have only increased power since then by adding a turbo.

Nah, fuel burn has got better too. Even non turbo petrol engines produce more
power per cc now than they did 20 years ago.

the time its just dead weight increasing fuel consumption. Unfortunately it
was standard with the car.

It's up to you if you have one position and don't want to alter it.
(Does your's do more than just move fore/aft?) I found the ability to

It does, but since I don't change size and my limbs don't grow or shrink in
between each trip I have little need to alter anything.

Old September 12th 18, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 23:36:13 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 19:05:43 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 22:46:12 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 20:11:28 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

Nope. In fact its so light with such a decent engine
that I was hooning along at well over 140K Km on the
way back from an airshow in Temora on the first
trip out of town in the new car. That's exceeding
the 100K speed limit by the level at which the
cops can seize the car instead of just fining you.

Ours is about 30mph over. Which I guess is similar. But it's not
just
seizing the car, your license gets removed,

Yeah, ours is too. And currently a $2.5K fine as well.

My friend when we were about 20 got done for 130mph in a 50mph limit
(late
at night, clear road). He was given the option of about a £2500 fine or
2
years ban from driving.

We don't have any option, you get both and 6 demerit points
with no driving if you end up with a total of 13 points. And
double demerits on major public holidays too like Easter and
Xmas, so you can lose your licence even if you are under 140km
and you have some points lost already.

I really don't get why they do double demerits.

Basically to get people to be more careful about the road
rules when there is more traffic on the roads for holidays etc.

You need to be less careful, congestion slows you down anyway.

Sounds a bit like our stupid M25 motorway round London, where they introduce speed limits during congestion to "make you get there quicker"?!?

He took the ban. The car was not seized. After all, the car hadn't
broken the law.

The seizure is a more substantial penalty,
nothing to do with the car breaking the law.

When they crush the car it's insanity.

They don't crush it, just keep it for a decent chunk of a year etc.
And you pay the storage charge to get it back.

I've heard of crushed cars somewhere - possibly drug dealers. Waste of a car.

because the ****wits think driving fast means you're dangerous.

The cop had the decency to list it at just under 140K
and just slug me the ****ing great fine.

Less paperwork.

I chose to
front the magistrate instead of paying the fine
and pointed out that that was on a straight stretch
of flat road, not even any trees on the side of the
road for more than 10KM with no other cars in
sight until the cop car showed up coming in the
other direction, presumably at 100K. Driving into
the setting sun, and lied to the magistrate that
it was the first time in the new car and I didn't
notice it was going that fast. He let me off.

Bloody hell. Try that here and get double the fine,

You risk that here too.

they bribe you by letting you have less problems if you plead guilty.

All the Hyundai drivers here do.

Don't believe that either

Anyone owning a Hyundai is an OCD ****wit or an OAP.

Another pathetic excuse for a troll.

No, it's just what most Hyundai owners here are like.

Bull****.

No it isn't.

Corse it is.

The sort of "sensible" person who follows all the rules like speed limits
also buys a "sensible" small car that's more fuel efficient.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that's saying something.

And Hyundais arent the only sensible fuel efficient small car,
every major manufacturer except the stupid yanks has one.

And Hyundai has top end large cars like the Grandeur too.

Not many of those here, most are i10 i20 etc. And every single one goes slowly. There are other makes that are driven slow, but Hyundai is the one guaranteed to get in my way.

Usually i10, i20, etc her.

Same here, those replaced the Getz which isnt a current model.

and you previously claimed that everyone there drives at 10-15K over
the
speed limit.

Every normal person.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Anyone who's decent sounding when you talk to them here drives at a
decent
speed, a fair bit over the limit unless a pig is about.

You've just claimed that Hyundai drivers don't, you pathetic excuse for a
troll.

And I know nobody decent who drives a Hyundai.

Another pathetic excuse for a troll.

Nope, just a statement of fact. In fact the first Hyundai owner I can think of here has OCD. He goes PRECISELY the speed limit. He gave me a lift once and panicked because he'd forgotten if it was a 20 or 30mph limit we were in, so he decided he'd go 25. I tried to persuade him that he was a decent driver (or so he thinks) so he surely must know his own safe speed, but he wanted numbers on signs.

Even you should be able to do better
than that pathetic excuse for a troll.

Obviously not.

Always in my ****ing way!

I had to replace things on my Golf.

I didn't have to replace much, just the alternator regulator and
the
exhaust silencer, once.

Actually I gave up on mine because of the large amount of rust
underneath
to pass the ****ing government nanny state MOT.

I did too, but that was my stupidity. I don't garage or carport
my cars and knew that the Golf passengers floor got wet after
heavy rain due to the windscreen seal and had never got
around to redoing the windscreen seal. That eventually
did rust thru the floor. No rust on the outside tho.

My garage is for storing things,

I never did bother to do the carport.

I don't have room indoors for a car.

I could if I wanted to but choose not to.

Some say it's better to be outdoors for the wind to dry it off after a
rainy drive. Dunno how true that is.

Its bull**** because being outside sees it get
wet much more often on that soggy little island.

I agree. It would dry off far quicker in a garage,

Nope, the wind effect is quicker but outside its
also where the next rain will wet it again too.

Apparently not underneath (not that I believe it).

especially if you added a little heating and ventilation.

No one with a clue heats their garage.

Depends what's in it. Lots of people have frost protection for stuff they store, or they don't want the car iced up.

Maybe less than with some cars, but I still needed replacement
suspension parts etc.

I didn't replace any of those and I used that Golf for
much longer than you did, 45 years in fact and used
it every day to go to and from work too.

Are your roads littered with speed bumps?

Yep.

I go over perhaps 200 a day.

Nothing like as many here.

Not littered then. Here, they're even stupid enough to put them in
places
where you couldn't possibly be breaking the limit, like literally 10
feet
from a junction.

Not here.

You wouldn't believe how stupid our councils are.

I did have to replace one of the giant rubber
things that the exhaust system hangs on.

I've found exhausts on all makes of cars to be similar. Stupidly
made
out
of rustable metals.

That's why I replaced it with a stainless steel one.

Since I buy cars for £500,

So can I but I choose not to anymore. The last 3 cars have been bought
new. You get a lot more choice of car, can be sure of no problems to
fix
that you have to pay for for years and I generally keep them for so
long
that the extra cost isnt worth the hassle with old bombs.

If I wanted to spend more, I'd probably buy 3 year old cars. Then you
don't lose loads in depreciation, but you still get reliability, and
probably a warranty.

But have a much worse choice of car to buy.

There's thousands of 2nd hand cars to buy,

Far more choice with new ones.

Bull****, you can only get the current models, instead of everything in the last x years.
There are 832 used cars just on Ebay, within 20 miles of my house.

mainly because of the huge number of morons who replace their brand new
car every 2 years.

I tend to replace an exhaust only once, so pointless me getting a
longer
lasting one. They should be manufactured with them though, especially
those with a 7 year warranty. Although I guess they scam you on that
and
omit the exhaust from the warranty.

Mine doesn't. Only the tyres and battery are excluded.

Odd as a battery lasts at least 5 years.

Old September 12th 18, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

TMS320 wrote:
[...]

You don't get uncomfortable sitting in one position for hours?

This is what cyclists waste tax payers' money on James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] UK 123 February 12th 17 10:08 PM
Another waste of effort Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 2 September 21st 11 09:56 AM
So here is some total waste Anton Berlin Racing 6 August 4th 09 05:05 AM
Wot a waste [email protected] UK 11 February 28th 08 08:24 AM
Probably a waste of my time but its my time to waste Jeff Grippe Recumbent Biking 78 January 17th 07 11:30 PM