Cyclists waste petrol

Old September 12th 18, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

Default Cyclists waste petrol

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 09:52:45 +0100, wrote:

On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 18:38:02 +0100
"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 15:32:39 +0100, wrote:

On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 15:17:59 +0100
"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 13:45:12 +0100, TMS320 wrote:
My 4sp often gets confused whether to be in 1st or 2nd at 10-12mph
because of some kind of clever dick mode. Rolling through a junction
(where one would be in 2nd in a manual) more often than not produces
undesirable lurching.

How odd. Every auto I've had doesn't change gears at low speeds at all,=
but just uses the torque converter.

Mine will often move off in 2nd if I use any throttle other than nailing it
to the floor. I used to think it was a fault but its just the way its been
programmed. I'm sure the designers thought it was a good idea to reduce wear
but if I suddenly need to accelerate away, eg at a junction , then I often

have
to wait for the ****er to kick down which can get hairy on a busy road.

I've never had that problem with any of the 3 autos I've owned (Range Rover
'88 3.5L V8 petrol/LPG, VW Golf '98 1.9L TDI, Honda CRV 2L petrol/LPG). If I
use a small amount of acceleration, it takes off with about 2000 revs and
maintains those revs almost precisely by using the torque converter then
eventually changing gears. Only once I'm going about 40-50mph do I see gear
changes on the rev counter, but barely feel them. If I floor it, I can feel
it changing gear, but it doesn't jerk the car much at all, it feels like a
racing driver is changing the gears very smoothly.

There are two things that feel like a gear change in an auto - actual gear
changes

Only when flooring it, otherwise the torque convertor smudges them.

and torque converter lock up. The latter is much less dramatic but
still noticable by a slight drop in revs when it happens.

I've seen it on the rev counter, but I can't feel it even if I try.

The best things about an auto a
You have your hands free to use the indicator at junctions.
You can overtake someone without having to work out how low a gear would be
possible.

I started driving autos because I got sick of doing a left leg workout in
traffic with a manual.

It does annoy me if I have a sore ankle if I've sprained it.

If I lived out in the sticks somewhere instead of
London it might have been a different story. Mind you, if you think a car
manual gearbox is bad try driving an HGV with a range splitter. God almighty
what a PITA they are. No wonder a lot of lorry drivers are also driving autos
these days. Of course not helped by engines that have a torque peak the width
of a fag paper hence 18+ gears being required sometimes.

Yes I don't get manual lorries, I always assumed it was just bloody expensive to make an auto box that big and powerful.
Old September 12th 18, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
rbowman[_2_]

On 09/11/2018 10:19 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
rbowman wrote
Rod Speed wrote

And Hyundais arent the only sensible fuel efficient small car,
every major manufacturer except the stupid yanks has one.

The stupid tanks are bright enough to know they don't sell in Yankland.

You lot have always run that line, and the car buyers have always proved
you wrong with the VW beetle, the Golf and Polo, then the Japs with the
Corolla and Yaris and now the Koreans.
Ford is dropping everything besides pickups and SUVs

There's a reason your major car manufacturers keep going broke.
Ford has sensible fuel efficient small cars here, but they are mostly
done by Mazda and rebadged. Stupid approach.

If Ford thought they could sell their rebadged world cars in the US,
don't you think they would do so?

Old September 12th 18, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 14:39:08 +0100
"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote:
On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 09:52:45 +0100, wrote:
There are two things that feel like a gear change in an auto - actual gear
changes

Only when flooring it, otherwise the torque convertor smudges them.

and torque converter lock up. The latter is much less dramatic but
still noticable by a slight drop in revs when it happens.

I've seen it on the rev counter, but I can't feel it even if I try.

Both probably depend on the type of box and vehicle its in. They're both
noticable in mine but its a large diesel which requires a robust box so perhaps
that makes a difference.

If I lived out in the sticks somewhere instead of
London it might have been a different story. Mind you, if you think a car
manual gearbox is bad try driving an HGV with a range splitter. God almighty
what a PITA they are. No wonder a lot of lorry drivers are also driving autos

these days. Of course not helped by engines that have a torque peak the width

of a fag paper hence 18+ gears being required sometimes.

Yes I don't get manual lorries, I always assumed it was just bloody expensive
to make an auto box that big and powerful.

Nah, auto boxes have been used in tanks and city buses for donkeys. Its purely
down to fuel consumption but a lot of the autos in lorries now are automated
manuals with a clutch so thats not an issue. However apparently reliability
can be.

Old September 12th 18, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 14:37:17 +0100
"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote:
On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 09:56:54 +0100, wrote:
It does, but since I don't change size and my limbs don't grow or shrink in
between each trip I have little need to alter anything.

You don't get uncomfortable sitting in one position for hours?

Thats where service stations come in handy

Old September 12th 18, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 14:52:03 +0100, wrote:

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 14:37:17 +0100
"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote:
On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 09:56:54 +0100, wrote:
It does, but since I don't change size and my limbs don't grow or shrink in
between each trip I have little need to alter anything.

You don't get uncomfortable sitting in one position for hours?

Thats where service stations come in handy

I mean a quick shuffle every half hour or so.
Old September 12th 18, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 07:42:11 -0600
rbowman wrote:
On 09/11/2018 10:19 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
rbowman wrote
Rod Speed wrote

And Hyundais arent the only sensible fuel efficient small car,
every major manufacturer except the stupid yanks has one.

The stupid tanks are bright enough to know they don't sell in Yankland.

You lot have always run that line, and the car buyers have always proved
you wrong with the VW beetle, the Golf and Polo, then the Japs with the
Corolla and Yaris and now the Koreans.
Ford is dropping everything besides pickups and SUVs

There's a reason your major car manufacturers keep going broke.
Ford has sensible fuel efficient small cars here, but they are mostly
done by Mazda and rebadged. Stupid approach.

If Ford thought they could sell their rebadged world cars in the US,
don't you think they would do so?

They sell the Focus and Mondeo in the US though the latter has a different
name there IIRC, same car though.

Old September 12th 18, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 14:48:53 +0100, wrote:

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 14:39:08 +0100
"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote:
On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 09:52:45 +0100, wrote:
There are two things that feel like a gear change in an auto - actual gear
changes

Only when flooring it, otherwise the torque convertor smudges them.

and torque converter lock up. The latter is much less dramatic but
still noticable by a slight drop in revs when it happens.

I've seen it on the rev counter, but I can't feel it even if I try.

Both probably depend on the type of box and vehicle its in. They're both
noticable in mine but its a large diesel which requires a robust box so perhaps
that makes a difference.

I've had a 2 litre petrol, a 1.9 litre turbo diesel, and a 3.5 litre V8 petrol. None were that noticeable.

If I lived out in the sticks somewhere instead of
London it might have been a different story. Mind you, if you think a car
manual gearbox is bad try driving an HGV with a range splitter. God almighty
what a PITA they are. No wonder a lot of lorry drivers are also driving autos

these days. Of course not helped by engines that have a torque peak the width

of a fag paper hence 18+ gears being required sometimes.

Yes I don't get manual lorries, I always assumed it was just bloody expensive
to make an auto box that big and powerful.

Nah, auto boxes have been used in tanks and city buses for donkeys. Its purely
down to fuel consumption but a lot of the autos in lorries now are automated
manuals with a clutch so thats not an issue. However apparently reliability
can be.

Dunno about lorries, but I find auto cars last a lot longer than manual cars (the transmission that is).
Old September 12th 18, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

rbowman wrote:
[...]

At least they have names, who can remember which Peugeot is which with models like 405, 1007, etc?
Old September 12th 18, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 00:30:38 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 22:46:58 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 18:52:24 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 18:31:06 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 04:45:21 +0100, rbowman
wrote:

On 09/09/2018 05:48 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
In the UK the cops are in fear of being done for assault. They're
always very polite and behave like girls. It's quite funny
arguing
with
a traffic cop, they let you insult them.

Yes, well that's the UK... I'm sure you read enough US news to
realize
this is not the UK.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/officer-ar...ry?id=57715416

How ****ed up do you have to be to think you're in your house when
you're
in someone else's?

There might just be a reason for that immortal 'little boxes' line.

What?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_2lGkEU4Xs

I did once see someone get confused as to where he lived, but that was
council flats and he was drunk.

This one was in a block of flats. The lift stopped at the
floor above hers, his door was ajar so pushing the key
into the lock saw the door swing open and she claims
that the lights were out and she could see only his
silhouette and that she got no response when she
told him to put his hands up, so she shot him.

Corse its easy to make most of that up after he is dead.

Anyone with half a brain can tell if they're in their own flat.

Not when the lights are off and you are focussing on
the silhouette of what you believe is an intruder who
has broken into your flat thru the front door and that's
why the front door was ajar and not locked as you left it.

This isn't hotel rooms, this is homes where everyone has different
furniture, paintings, wall coverings, clocks, carpets, etc.

None of which would be visible with the lights off.

People oughta live in better accommodation.

This is what cyclists waste tax payers' money on James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] UK 123 February 12th 17 10:08 PM
Another waste of effort Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 2 September 21st 11 09:56 AM
So here is some total waste Anton Berlin Racing 6 August 4th 09 05:05 AM
Wot a waste [email protected] UK 11 February 28th 08 08:24 AM
Probably a waste of my time but its my time to waste Jeff Grippe Recumbent Biking 78 January 17th 07 11:30 PM