Official recommendations about cycle stands?

Old December 15th 08, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adam Funk[_3_]

Default Official recommendations about cycle stands?

Is anyone aware of any official or semi-official publications that
advise businesses to provide proper (Sheffield) cycle stands for
customers?

I want to convince a local business to replace the "one wheel to the
wall" junk stands it provides for its customers (including me) and I'd
like to be able to refer to some official advice to support my case.

(The closest things I've been able to find are the Home Office's
"Steer Clear of Cycle Theft" and Camden's "On street bicycle parking"
leaflets, both of which advise cyclists to lock the frame and wheel,
and so imply that good stands are desirable, but they are aimed at
cyclists rather than stand-providers.)
Old December 15th 08, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jen

On Dec 15, 1:20*pm, Adam Funk wrote:
Is anyone aware of any official or semi-official publications that
advise businesses to provide proper (Sheffield) cycle stands for
customers?

CAmbridge cycling campaign have written a very comprehensive guide.

http://www.camcycle.org.uk/resources...parking/guide/

Jen
Old December 15th 08, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 13:20:37 +0000 someone who may be Adam Funk
wrote this:-

Is anyone aware of any official or semi-official publications that
advise businesses to provide proper (Sheffield) cycle stands for
customers?

Which country are you in?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old December 15th 08, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin McKenzie

Adam Funk wrote:
Is anyone aware of any official or semi-official publications that
advise businesses to provide proper (Sheffield) cycle stands for
customers?

London Cycle Design Standards are fairly official. Chapter 8 is at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/businessandpartners/lcds_chapter8.pdf

It's not at all bad, and specifically makes the point about locking
points. It's aimed at London boroughs, so some info will be irrelevant.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at the
population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as walking.
Old December 15th 08, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Danny Colyer

On 15/12/2008 13:20, Adam Funk wrote:
Is anyone aware of any official or semi-official publications that
advise businesses to provide proper (Sheffield) cycle stands for
customers?

Sustrans has some guidelines:
http://www.sustrans.org.uk/webfiles/guidelines/Signing%20parking%20etc.pdf
http://www.sustrans.org.uk/webfiles/Info%20sheets/cycle%20parking%20info%20sheet.pdf

(If those spaces in the urls cause problems, just go to
http://www.sustrans.org.uk/default.asp?sID=1149001882109 and look around).

--
Danny Colyer http://www.redpedals.co.uk
"The plural of anecdote is not data" - Frank Kotsonis
Old December 15th 08, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andy Key[_5_]

Adam Funk wrote:
Is anyone aware of any official or semi-official publications that
advise businesses to provide proper (Sheffield) cycle stands for
customers?

I want to convince a local business to replace the "one wheel to the
wall" junk stands it provides for its customers (including me) and I'd
like to be able to refer to some official advice to support my case.

(The closest things I've been able to find are the Home Office's
"Steer Clear of Cycle Theft" and Camden's "On street bicycle parking"
leaflets, both of which advise cyclists to lock the frame and wheel,
and so imply that good stands are desirable, but they are aimed at
cyclists rather than stand-providers.)

Hampshire County Council's version - quite a good summary of the main
requirements:

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/cycling/cycle-parking.htm

Old December 15th 08, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adam Funk[_3_]

wrote this:-

Is anyone aware of any official or semi-official publications that
advise businesses to provide proper (Sheffield) cycle stands for
customers?

Which country are you in?

England (but I'm sure Scottish advice is good too).
Old December 15th 08, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 20:50:53 +0000 someone who may be Adam Funk
wrote this:-

Is anyone aware of any official or semi-official publications that
advise businesses to provide proper (Sheffield) cycle stands for
customers?

Which country are you in?

England (but I'm sure Scottish advice is good too).

Then I suggest the Sustrans and London stuff already indicated.

In Scotland http://www.scotland.gov.uk/library2/cbd/cbd-26.asp is
a good starting point.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old December 16th 08, 03:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 02:52:48 +0000, Phil W Lee
phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote:

Adam Funk considered Mon, 15 Dec 2008 13:20:37
+0000 the perfect time to write:

Is anyone aware of any official or semi-official publications that
advise businesses to provide proper (Sheffield) cycle stands for
customers?

I want to convince a local business to replace the "one wheel to the
wall" junk stands it provides for its customers (including me) and I'd
like to be able to refer to some official advice to support my case.

(The closest things I've been able to find are the Home Office's
"Steer Clear of Cycle Theft" and Camden's "On street bicycle parking"
leaflets, both of which advise cyclists to lock the frame and wheel,
and so imply that good stands are desirable, but they are aimed at
cyclists rather than stand-providers.)

CTC have this: http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4710

The leaflet you can drop on your employer is available from their
national office (there's a guide for employers called "Cycle Friendly
Employers’ Good Practice Guide Pack" as well as the "CTC/Sustrans
parking leaflet". According to their website both are free.
CTC National office are on 0844 736 8450.

I'm amazed that some of the vendors don't fall foul of Trading
Standards - I don't think those wheel-benders or wall grips conform to
ANY standard, and are certainly unfit for the intended purpose.

Hello Anchor - the fine legal mind uncoils:

Have you thought of taking legal action against hem?

--
Commenting on a legal gate in a public park: I'd think it comes under
the heading of "causing an obstruction", and should be investigated by
Old December 16th 08, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adam Funk[_3_]

On 2008-12-15, jen wrote:

On Dec 15, 1:20Â*pm, Adam Funk wrote:
Is anyone aware of any official or semi-official publications that
advise businesses to provide proper (Sheffield) cycle stands for
customers?

CAmbridge cycling campaign have written a very comprehensive guide.

http://www.camcycle.org.uk/resources...parking/guide/

Great, especially section 3.3:

Stands that support the cycle by gripping the wheels alone,
sometimes known as "butterfly stands", should not under any
circumstances be used.

Unless there are very good reasons for doing otherwise always
specify Sheffield or rounded A frame stands.

Thanks!