Futile crusade.

Old May 15th 09, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Default Futile crusade.

The "world's greatest newspaper" (sic) is going to get Britain moving by
sorting out the state of the roads.

Can't wait.

http://www.express.co.uk/web/getbritainmoving

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old May 15th 09, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

Simon Mason wrote:
The "world's greatest newspaper" (sic) is going to get Britain moving
by sorting out the state of the roads.

They want to sell more newspapers by appealing to Mr Toad

Old May 15th 09, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Simon Mason wrote:
The "world's greatest newspaper" (sic) is going to get Britain moving by
sorting out the state of the roads.

They're too late. The Dundee Courier's campaign of many moons to get
the tolls lifted from the Tay Bridge is no longer necessary and it's
free to cross, so Everything's All Right now.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old May 15th 09, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keith T

Simon Mason wrote:
The "world's greatest newspaper" (sic) is going to get Britain moving by
sorting out the state of the roads.

Can't wait.

http://www.express.co.uk/web/getbritainmoving

Major Fail!

They quote (R)Association of British (I) Drivers
as a "major motoring organisation"

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old May 15th 09, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On May 15, 2:05*pm, Keith T wrote:

Major Fail!
They quote (R)Association of British (I) Drivers
as a "major motoring organisation"

Last I saw they represented easily 0.01% of motorists, how major do
you need?

--
Guy
Old May 15th 09, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
judith smith

On Fri, 15 May 2009 13:03:46 +0100, "mileburner"
wrote:

Simon Mason wrote:
The "world's greatest newspaper" (sic) is going to get Britain moving
by sorting out the state of the roads.

They want to sell more newspapers by appealing to Mr Toad

Ah yes Mr Toad - I think he deserves a place in the definition of
psycholist.

I will suggest it to the OED.

What shall we have :

Mr Toad the motorist and Mr ****** the cyclist?

--

"Primary position" the middle of a traffic lane. To take the "primary position" : to ride a bike in the middle of the lane in order to obstruct other road vehicles from overtaking.

A term invented by and used by psycholists and not recognised in the Highway Code.

Highway Code Rule 168 : "Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass."

Old May 15th 09, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Fri, 15 May 2009 09:25:47 -0700 (PDT), "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

On May 15, 2:05*pm, Keith T wrote:

Major Fail!
They quote (R)Association of British (I) Drivers
as a "major motoring organisation"

Last I saw they represented easily 0.01% of motorists, how major do
you need?

Oh - I see - they are about as representative of cycling as the CTC
is then.

--
I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy Chapman)
I have never said that I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy
Old May 15th 09, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andy Key[_5_]

wrote:

On May 15, 2:05 pm, Keith T wrote:

Major Fail!
They quote (R)Association of British (I) Drivers
as a "major motoring organisation"

Last I saw they represented easily 0.01% of motorists, how major do
you need?

Oh - I see - they are about as representative of cycling as the CTC
is then.

National Travel Survey 2007: 14% of respondents aged over 5 cycled at
least once a week. Let's use this as a measure of "regular" cyclists.
ONS population statistics: 56 million people were aged over 5 in UK in 2007.
CTC membership: around 60,000.

So, very approximately, somewhere between 0.5% and 1% of regular
cyclists are CTC members.

Obviously some CTC members are not regular cyclists, but these will be a
small minority.

Note that this figure is under-stated because children aged 5-16 don't
usually join the CTC in their own right, so CTC's market share of
*adult* regular cyclists will be somewhat higher. Unfortunately the
National Travel Survey didn't differentiate.

This kind of thing is easily findable on the internet; you could avoid
embarrassing yourself in future by checking your facts first.
Old May 16th 09, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 15 May, 13:00, "Simon Mason" wrote:
The "world's greatest newspaper" (sic) is going to get Britain moving by
sorting out the state of the roads.

Can't wait.

http://www.express.co.uk/web/getbritainmoving

Wrong approach. The problem is too much movement, which pollutes,
wastes non-renewables and puts lives at risk, sometimes known as
hypermobility. There can be no doubt at all that humans now travel
more and further than they ever have before and many more of them do
it than ever before. Instead of restructuring lifestyles to minimise
travel the race seems to be on to increase travel with an incessant
proliferation of roads and runways.

What's with this wanderlust anyway? Is it a throwback to the hunter
gatherer instinct or merely 'Have car/plane will travel', or is it
engendered by profit seekers?

--
UK Radical Campaigns
www.zing.icom43.net
Old May 16th 09, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

Doug wrote:
On 15 May, 13:00, "Simon Mason" wrote:
The "world's greatest newspaper" (sic) is going to get Britain
moving by sorting out the state of the roads.

Can't wait.

http://www.express.co.uk/web/getbritainmoving

Wrong approach. The problem is too much movement, which pollutes,
wastes non-renewables and puts lives at risk, sometimes known as
hypermobility. There can be no doubt at all that humans now travel
more and further than they ever have before and many more of them do
it than ever before. Instead of restructuring lifestyles to minimise
travel the race seems to be on to increase travel with an incessant
proliferation of roads and runways.

What's with this wanderlust anyway? Is it a throwback to the hunter
gatherer instinct or merely 'Have car/plane will travel', or is it
engendered by profit seekers?

As you've been told many times before Doug, man has always travelled.

Do you currently live in the same place where you were born and how many
other places did you live in between your birth and now? Because, if you
don't live where you were born, and have always lived there, then you are
displaying your usual hypocrisy.