Replacing tires in a mountain bike

Old November 12th 09, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Kathy

Default Replacing tires in a mountain bike

I inherited a mountain bike from my son (Raleigh Teton 1986) and I would
like to

be able to use it just for exercising in the street (concrete, asphalt and
occasionally

gravel) and I need to replace the worn tires. The ones that I found seem to
have rough

treading for rough terrain but I would prefer tires that give me a smooth
ride.

Could I replace the originals with a set of tires that are a bit smother?

By the way, the tire are 26 x 2.125

Any suggestion where could I get them? Online or I am in South Florida.

Thank you in advance

Kathy

Old November 12th 09, 02:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Sornson[_5_]

Kathy wrote:
I inherited a mountain bike from my son (Raleigh Teton 1986) and I
would like to

be able to use it just for exercising in the street (concrete,
asphalt and occasionally

gravel) and I need to replace the worn tires. The ones that I found
seem to have rough

treading for rough terrain but I would prefer tires that give me a
smooth ride.

Could I replace the originals with a set of tires that are a bit
smother?
By the way, the tire are 26 x 2.125

Any suggestion where could I get them? Online or I am in South
Florida.

26" slicks are very common and easy to find at any bike shop and most sports
stores/departments. If you have a Performance bike shop nearby, then I'd
suggest trying their house brand tires. I still have some "City Slicks"
from many years ago, and just yesterday reinstalled them on my old,
neglected hardtail (mountain bike).

Any of the online outlets (Nashbar, Performance, Jenson, etc.) will also
have 26" tires designed for street and light off-road use.

One final note: depending on how narrow your new tires are, you /may/ need
or want tubes made for that size. Not a bad idea to install new ones,
anyway, as long as you're changing tires.

Bill S.

Old November 12th 09, 03:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Norman

On Nov 11, 9:58*pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
Kathy wrote:
[...]

There are also (hopefully still made) white-wall cruiser tires
with fairly minimal tread for the 559 (26") size. The ones I
have are Duros, and if they cost more than $12 each, I'd
be appalled.

Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DX1BZA
or
http://www.bikepartsusa.com/cgi-bin/...?item=01-82452
Old November 12th 09, 03:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Kathy

Default Replacing tires in a mountain bike. THANK YOU

Thank you Bill and Norman. Big help!!

Old November 12th 09, 04:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Nov 11, 8:18*pm, "Kathy" wrote:
I inherited a mountain bike from my son (Raleigh Teton 1986) and I would
like to

be able to use it just for exercising in the street (concrete, asphalt and
occasionally

gravel) and I need to replace the worn tires. The ones that I found seem to
have rough

treading for rough terrain but I would prefer tires that give me a smooth
ride.

Could I replace the originals with a set of tires that are a bit smother?

By the way, the tire are 26 x 2.125

Any suggestion where could I get them? Online or I am in South Florida.

Thank you in advance

Kathy

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...2_10000_201496

Get narrower tubes to match.