What Is the Tacky Coating On Inner Tube Patches?

Old October 17th 17, 07:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

Default What Is the Tacky Coating On Inner Tube Patches?

It seems to help make a really good bond. I've tried old pieces of plain inner tube + heat with mixed results.

Bret Cahill

Old October 26th 17, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 17/10/2017 07:05, Bret Cahill wrote:

It seems to help make a really good bond. I've tried old pieces of plain inner tube + heat with mixed results.

I'm surprised that no-one has answered this. The substance was always
marketed as "rubber solution" and came in a toothpaste-type tube.

It's dead cheap over here, and I have no doubt it can be found just as
cheaply in the USA:

https://www.jejamescycles.com/weldtite-tubes-puncture-repair-rubber-solution-15g-10034257.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwj8bPBRBiEiwASlFLFdIhsI 7nCcfsrOUjvxVMD2tglwtGeG15Z0blQ-FoqpJIZfoQ_uH34RoC61UQAvD_BwE

Old October 28th 17, 04:20 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

It seems to help make a really good bond. I've tried old pieces of plain inner tube + heat with mixed results.

I'm surprised that no-one has answered this. The substance was always
marketed as "rubber solution" and came in a toothpaste-type tube.

That is actually _de_vulcanizing solution. The vulcanizing happens after it dries away and is then clamped together, often with heat.

I've had good luck using rubber solution with old latex swim caps. The swim cap is half a mm thick -- all you need or want for most punctures -- and pretty gooey to begin with after being degraded by chlorine, sun and O2. Latex makes a great bond to a butyl tube. Even after the latex cracks from "dry rot" it still holds air!

But if you want something thicker then the dedicated patches seem to work much better than just old pieces of butyl inner tube.

I'm guessing that one side of the patch is pre de vulcanized maybe made of "bonding gum." Bonding gum is what they put between the carcass of a tire and the tread of a re tread.

What got me going on this is I found some really cheap inner tubes that would rupture if you looked that them funny. Yet, cut up into patches, they made really great bonds. One guess is they never really vulcanized the rubber in the first place.

Bear with me on this one as I positively suck at materials science.

Bret Cahill

Ever have problems getting your patches to stick to the tube? Bill Techniques 16 November 1st 11 05:47 AM
Tube patches Mint[_2_] Social Issues 3 September 9th 09 03:10 AM
Was anyone looking for bulk tube patches? BT Humble Australia 3 April 4th 08 06:09 AM
How many patches per tube? dgk General 22 April 8th 07 10:49 AM
Tube Patches (the glue on kind) maximus unius Unicycling 4 March 4th 07 07:49 PM