saddle rot - fatal?

Old February 6th 07, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

Default saddle rot - fatal?

I recently noticed that a brooks professional saddle
on (cough) one of my machines in my garage
has gone bright green with some kind of low-profile
mould.

Bugger.

The saddle is rather soft and damp.
I've removed it and bought it indoors for some
TLC.

Has any seen this before?
Is it fatal?
Any treatments known?

BugBear (not wanting to buy a new saddle)
Old February 6th 07, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

bugbear said the following on 06/02/2007 09:43:

Has any seen this before?

Not the "soft and damp" bit, but certainly the green mould bit in the
dim and distant past.

Is it fatal?

Not in my case - I'm still riding it.

Any treatments known?

Wash the mould off and re-wax? I also wax underneath, but you might
want to make sure the leather is dried out first.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old February 6th 07, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , bugbear
') wrote:

I recently noticed that a brooks professional saddle
on (cough) one of my machines in my garage
has gone bright green with some kind of low-profile
mould.

Bugger.

The saddle is rather soft and damp.
I've removed it and bought it indoors for some
TLC.

Has any seen this before?
Is it fatal?
Any treatments known?

BugBear (not wanting to buy a new saddle)

It isn't fatal. Dry the saddle out *slowly*, then treat with plenty of
proofide (Brooks special saddle polish).

If you don't dry the saddle slowly it will become brittle. If you use too
much dubbin or neats foot oil or whatever the saddle will get soft and
will stretch out of shape.

Morning had broken, and there was nothing we could do but wait
patiently for the RAC to arrive.
Old February 6th 07, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Helen Deborah Vecht

Simon Brooke typed

in message , bugbear
') wrote:

I recently noticed that a brooks professional saddle
on (cough) one of my machines in my garage
has gone bright green with some kind of low-profile
mould.

Bugger.

The saddle is rather soft and damp.
I've removed it and bought it indoors for some
TLC.

Has any seen this before?
Is it fatal?
Any treatments known?

BugBear (not wanting to buy a new saddle)

It isn't fatal. Dry the saddle out *slowly*, then treat with plenty of
proofide (Brooks special saddle polish).

If you don't dry the saddle slowly it will become brittle. If you use too
much dubbin or neats foot oil or whatever the saddle will get soft and
will stretch out of shape.

I painted the leather saddle on my Pedersen with copper sulphate
(solution made up from) from my brother's chemistry set when it went a
bit mouldy; it wasn't soft though.
I think the saddle's still OK but you'd have to ask Tim Hall...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old February 6th 07, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Tue, 06 Feb, bugbear wrote:

I recently noticed that a brooks professional saddle
on (cough) one of my machines in my garage
has gone bright green with some kind of low-profile
mould.

Mouldy yes, soft and damp, no.

Mine went mouldy when unridden for a couple of years but the physical
properties were unchanged. I wiped the mould off, gave it a good
proofhide and rode it.

The saddle is rather soft and damp.
I've removed it and bought it indoors for some
TLC.

I'd probably not ride it if it's actually done that.
I'd dry it very slowly, then work lots of proofhide in, then hope...

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old February 6th 07, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

Ian Smith wrote:
I'd dry it very slowly, then work lots of proofhide in, then hope...

How slowly is "very"; I've just bought it indoors.

(i.e. no hairdryers or radiators are involved)

Does that sound reasonable?

BugBear
Old February 6th 07, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007, bugbear wrote:
Ian Smith wrote:
I'd dry it very slowly, then work lots of proofhide in, then hope...

How slowly is "very"; I've just bought it indoors.
(i.e. no hairdryers or radiators are involved)

Yes, I'd just bring it indoors, then put it somewhere away from
radiators, boilers, fires, hot water cylinders and the like.

But I'm only speculating on what I'd do, or what I do for saturated
boots - I don't actually know how a saddle will take it.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old February 6th 07, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , Ian Smith

Ian Smith wrote:
I'd dry it very slowly, then work lots of proofhide in, then hope...

How slowly is "very"; I've just bought it indoors.
(i.e. no hairdryers or radiators are involved)

Yes, I'd just bring it indoors, then put it somewhere away from
radiators, boilers, fires, hot water cylinders and the like.

But I'm only speculating on what I'd do, or what I do for saturated
boots - I don't actually know how a saddle will take it.

I've had a forty-something year old saddle in this sort of condition. It
never polished back up to glossy, but it became quite usable. I would
advise drying it out in a cool room - not even a centrally heated one. You
really want to give it plenty of time for the water to wick and evaporate
out gently.

Fatal bicycle accident G.T. Techniques 1 April 11th 06 03:04 AM
Lawyer (only) fined for fatal hit-run cfsmtb Australia 34 May 10th 05 01:07 AM
Air Saddle vs. Fusion Saddle Moogs Unicycling 12 April 20th 05 05:36 AM
Lawyer regrets fatal hit-run (on cyclist) Absent Husband Australia 56 April 20th 05 12:42 AM
Torker saddle == Miyata saddle? Sofa Unicycling 8 January 13th 04 03:57 AM