2004 - Trek 1400? Trek 1200? comments?

Old March 31st 04, 08:48 AM
yuri budilov

Default 2004 - Trek 1400? Trek 1200? comments?

Hello all

I am helping a friend (fun + fitness rider like me, not competitive) to buy
a new road bike and we were looking at either Trek 1200 or Trek 1400, 2004
models.

Funny enough I noticed that Trek 1400 is not even sold in USA yet it is sold
in UK, Australia and elsewhere. I wonder why?

anyhow are there any Trek 1200 or Trek 1400 riders out there? If so - your
comments on these bicycles are most welcome. Also - do you think it is worth
spending extra on Trek 1400 over Trek 1200?

thank you in advance
Yuri, Australia

Old April 4th 04, 10:53 PM
Twistie

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 17:48:52 +1000, "yuri budilov"
wrote:

Hello all

I am helping a friend (fun + fitness rider like me, not competitive) to buy
a new road bike and we were looking at either Trek 1200 or Trek 1400, 2004
models.

Funny enough I noticed that Trek 1400 is not even sold in USA yet it is sold
in UK, Australia and elsewhere. I wonder why?

anyhow are there any Trek 1200 or Trek 1400 riders out there? If so - your
comments on these bicycles are most welcome. Also - do you think it is worth
spending extra on Trek 1400 over Trek 1200?

thank you in advance
Yuri, Australia

I purchased a TREK 1400 only 3 days ago. I ride with the cyclones at
The Gap Bike Shop in Brisbane. I was also interested at seeing the
1400 dissapear from the US site. It seems they played around with the
components on the 1500 a bit, and dropped the price, then added a
whole series of ROAD COMFORT bikes to thier lineup. They are just
rejigging their line up I think.

The 1400 was exactly what I wanted. It's worth paying the extra
dollers for the 105 groupset, and the bontranger wheels, which are
much lighter and fewer spokes then those that come with the 1200. The
SORA groupset is not bad, but not worth getting if you are even
half-serious. The 1400 also has the Super Light (SL) aluminum frame,
wich is definately better then that of the 1200.

I love the 1400 - propertly fitted, it just glides. I have Look
pedals, and shimano shoes added to it, along with drink bottle
holders, pump, seat bag, spare tire & kit. Also got a new jersey -
the whole lot cost me $2600. Not bad at all considering retail on the
bike is $2400, the shoes and pedals are worth about $300, $70 for the
jersey, $20 for the drink holders, $30 for the pump, $35 for the seat
bag and some extras.

Of course, It helps being a member of the club.

For my first ride, I took it up to Noosa, and did the saturday ride up
there. There were only 8 of us, but that included andrew johns - one
of australias top Tri-Athletes. We rode 65k's - almost to
maroochydore, and then back. Average was 33.5 km/hr. Extremely good
considering the headwind we had at the start, the 10km's of hills we
went over - and then back again, and the small size of the pack.

The seat was not brilliantly comfortable, but it was not bad, and I am
certainly not sore now, so I think that is as good as it gets. Often
on the straight or downhill, when everyone was drifiting, I had to use
the brakes often, as my bike would just glide right up. Not sure if
it's because of less resistance, or simply that the new bike is better
oiled - smoother. Steering is sharp but smooth, and the bike is so
light, I was able to keep up on the hills - pulling my self up rather
then pushing down on the pedals

I am getting pins and needles in my left hand. Not sure why, but hope
to work it out soon. I was getting the same on my MTB, until I put
"HORNS" on it - extended handle grips.

End of the day - Love the bike. Can't wait to get back on it

Cheers