Build it and they won't come

Old September 21st 17, 02:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Build it and they won't come

Build it and they will come? Sorry, no.

Here's a new article dispelling the myth that segregated facilities
generate tremendous bike mode share.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...ped-stevenage?

Unless motoring is actively dissuaded, almost all people who have cars
will drive cars.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 21st 17, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 09:32:50 +0700, John B.
wrote:

One might speculate on how many of the posters here, who are gainfully
employed, do not own a car, do not use public transportation, and rely
solely on a bicycle for transportation?

I'm giving serious thought to joining the "drive someplace to ride a
bike" crowd.

Driving my own vehicle a long distance on a straight road is right out
because of the rotator cuff -- oh, rats, I rode right by the KABS
office *twice* today, and didn't think of stopping in to ask whether I
could take my bike with me on the "bus".

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old September 21st 17, 04:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

wrote:
Build it and they will come? Sorry, no.

Here's a new article dispelling the myth that segregated facilities
generate tremendous bike mode share.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...ped-stevenage?

Unless motoring is actively dissuaded, almost all people who have
cars will drive cars.

I remember seeing period BBC footage about this, describing the
innovations in place at the time. Now, maybe it's what you're used to;
I grew up in a very bikeable suburb of Chicago and all us kids just got
around on bikes. So I looked at infrastructure like this and was
puzzled as to why.

Apparently I wasn't alone.

In the Minneapolis-St Paul area we have been building out both
on-street and separated bike facilities. While I find much of the
design of the on-street facilities to be objectionable and even
downright stupid, there has been a noticeable increase in bike riding.
Most of them are young uns and are not wearing the pseudo-pro clown
suits (I'm still wearing mine, although I've reached an age and a body
composition where that's probably ill-advised). The separated
facilities- which are pretty extensive- get a whole lot of use; the
on-street facilities seem to get a lot of use too although not quite as
much.

But this doesn't seem to work everywhere. Denmark made it work by
taxing cars at an astonishing rate- owning a car is an economic
hardship for many if not most Danes due to the tax structure- and
pairing that with extensive on-street bike facilities. There would be
no way to accomplish something like that in the US, where owning a car
and having cheap fuel is effectively part of the Bill of Rights.
Old September 21st 17, 05:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 09:32:50 +0700, John B wrote:

One might speculate on how many of the posters here, who are
gainfully employed, do not own a car, do not use public
transportation, and rely solely on a bicycle for transportation?

LOL. My two person household owns three cars, eight bikes. My wife
walks to work practically every day (3 miles each way) and takes the
bus if she doesn't walk. She probably drives to work less than 5 times
a year and that is for a specific reason like having to leave from work
to do something for which the bus, riding or walking is impractical. I
ride to work or walk to work about 25% of the time (I work in two
locations a day- the closest are less than a mile from home and the
farthest are 30 miles from home; several are within feasible riding
distance from home and from each other so I *could* ride to work more
than I do).
Old September 21st 17, 05:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 21/09/17 11:47, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Build it and they will come? Sorry, no.

Here's a new article dispelling the myth that segregated facilities
generate tremendous bike mode share.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...ped-stevenage?

Unless motoring is actively dissuaded, almost all people who have cars
will drive cars.

This is a hot topic in Australia at the moment. The largest
recreational bicycling organisation (Bicycle Network), is conducting a
review of their helmet policy which currently is in support of mandatory
helmet laws.

The helmet law supporting researchers (Jake Olivier, Raphael Grzebieta,
Soufiane Boufous, Rebecca Ivers, Royal Australian College of Surgeons,
etc.), are all trying to "move on" from discussing helmet laws, spouting
the need for protected biking infrastructure. They know the health
benefits of cycling, but reject the evidence that the helmet law stops
many people from cycling. They think that by building infrastructure
that somehow cycling will blossom regardless.

Fools.

--
JS
Old September 21st 17, 07:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

Singapore tried the "tax it out of existence" scheme years ago and it
did work for a while but as the economy grew so did auto sales. Today
a new Toyota Corolla Altis 1.6 Standard will cost you, including the
first 6 months road tax, US$78,509, and traffic is a major problem.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 21st 17, 08:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 14:27:18 +1000, James
wrote:

[...]

(big smile) When we were working at the Freeport copper mine we staged
through Darwin and a bloke I worked with had to spend a week in Darwin
as the crew change airplane broke or something. Anyway he rented a
mini moke and met a Sheila (in a pub I guess) and the next day they
are motoring around Darwin (pre hurricane) and he sees a sign Alice
Springs - and Says "Hey! Want to go to Alice Springs" and the Sheila
says O.K. and off they go. An hour later he hasn't seen anything but
bush and says "how far is this Alice Springs?". They turn around and

Now... if there had only been a bike path...

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 21st 17, 03:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 6:47:30 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Build it and they will come? Sorry, no.

Here's a new article dispelling the myth that segregated facilities
generate tremendous bike mode share.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...ped-stevenage?

Unless motoring is actively dissuaded, almost all people who have cars
will drive cars.

That's hardly an example now is it? It's ALWAYS raining in England and people will always opt for comfort over convenience. I will only on very seldom occasions go to San Francisco by car because it's such a pain in the ass. But if it's raining there's no way I'm riding a bike.
Old September 21st 17, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

wrote:

But this doesn't seem to work everywhere. Denmark made it work by
taxing cars at an astonishing rate- owning a car is an economic
hardship for many if not most Danes due to the tax structure- and
pairing that with extensive on-street bike facilities. There would be
no way to accomplish something like that in the US, where owning a car
and having cheap fuel is effectively part of the Bill of Rights.

Singapore tried the "tax it out of existence" scheme years ago and it
did work for a while but as the economy grew so did auto sales. Today
a new Toyota Corolla Altis 1.6 Standard will cost you, including the
first 6 months road tax, US$78,509, and traffic is a major problem. --

Holy crap! That's what my house cost in 1993.