Multi tool

Old October 19th 17, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Multi tool

On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 12:09:50 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Warning! Bicycle Content:
https://www.smartknives.com/Wenger-P...es/Cyclist.htm

The Wenger Cyclist knife contains the following tools:
Medium Blade (for butchering road kill)
Nail File (for sharpening nails needed to open shrink wrap packages)
Can Opener (for forcing open rubber cement tins)
Bottle Opener with Screwdriver Tip (it comes with vodka and orange
juice?)
Wrench (for rounding off the corners of bolt heads and nuts.
Phillips Screwdriver end mounted (one size strips all)
Corkscrew (for crumbling the cork which then falls into the bottle)
Awl (hillbilly pronounciation of "oil")
Key Ring or Key Chain (for collection of useless keys after the
bicycle and padlock are stolen)

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old October 19th 17, 07:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Has Lieb a mini vise grip ?
Old October 19th 17, 07:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

crabiner at tool end is AAA concept
Old October 19th 17, 09:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

writes:

On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 10:09:51 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/19/2017 11:58 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 22:02:31 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Looking for replacements finding mega crab
https://www.leatherman.com/pockettools
Link may not go to pocket accesories

Some suggestions.
Victorinox Champ XAVT:
https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en//Swiss-Army-Knives/Medium-Pocket-Knives/Swiss-Champ-XAVT/p/1.6795.XAVT
Wenger 16999 (Giant):
https://www.google.com/search?q=wenger+16999&source=lnms&tbm=isch
Hammer Multitools:
https://www.google.com/search?q=hammer+multi+tool&tbm=isch

I carry a small bag of loose tools and parts under the saddle. While
there may be some weight and size savings to multi-tools, they tend to
rip holes in my pocket or are too awkward to be useful. When I need
to use two tools at the same time (like adjusting a brake cable), the
multi-tool won't work. Most used tools are allen wrenches and
do-it-myself borax hand cleaner concoction.

Warning! Bicycle Content:

https://www.smartknives.com/Wenger-P...es/Cyclist.htm

What sort of bicycle content is there with a beer bottle opener and a
knife to save yourself from grizzly attack in Illinois?

Beats me. I generally have a Park MT1, a 4" channel lock, and a pocketknife
not advertised for cycling.

Old October 19th 17, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/19/2017 2:42 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 12:09:50 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Warning! Bicycle Content:
https://www.smartknives.com/Wenger-P...es/Cyclist.htm

The Wenger Cyclist knife contains the following tools:
Medium Blade (for butchering road kill)
Nail File (for sharpening nails needed to open shrink wrap packages)
Can Opener (for forcing open rubber cement tins)
Bottle Opener with Screwdriver Tip (it comes with vodka and orange
juice?)
Wrench (for rounding off the corners of bolt heads and nuts.
Phillips Screwdriver end mounted (one size strips all)
Corkscrew (for crumbling the cork which then falls into the bottle)
Awl (hillbilly pronounciation of "oil")
Key Ring or Key Chain (for collection of useless keys after the
bicycle and padlock are stolen)

:-)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 20th 17, 12:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

I carry a small bag of loose tools and parts under the saddle. While
there may be some weight and size savings to multi-tools, they tend to
rip holes in my pocket or are too awkward to be useful. When I need
to use two tools at the same time (like adjusting a brake cable), the
multi-tool won't work. Most used tools are allen wrenches and
do-it-myself borax hand cleaner concoction.

I'm with you. I hate multi-tools and see no reason for their existence. That said I do bring one of these on tours and MTB rides after I have been working on the bike, in case an 8 or 10 comes loose:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/15-In-1-B...l13=&veh= sem
Old October 20th 17, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/19/2017 8:23 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/19/2017 7:16 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 11:51:59 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Has Lieb a mini vise grip ?

No.Â* I have many vices, few of which are considered "mini".
I vaguely recall that my right hand grip is about 85lbs (66kg) when I
measured it about 2 years ago in rehab.Â* That's at the low end of the
scale, so I guess it could be called mini.Â* I forgot what I measured
for the left hand, but it was less.
http://www.topendsports.com/testing/norms/handgrip.htm

1. Stop using whatever drugs Tom gave you.
2. In most instances, 85lb is not 66kilos
3. 66kg is off the charts strong, according to your chart.

For a long time, I occasionally tested my two-handed grip strength using
a bathroom scale. I was able to squeeze the value of my weight.

And one year, our university's exercise science faculty gave free
physical fitness tests for faculty. Rather than take the time to have us
lift weights, etc. they simply measured grip strength, which they said
tends to closely correlate with overall strength. Mine was very good,
they said. However, I was in the habit of carrying a heavy briefcase
home to grade papers or prepare lectures, so I suspected I might have
been an outlier.

Many years after that, I decided to have fun in one of my classes; I
gave them some bicycle related problems. One was to analyze the bending
strength of a middle quality bike brake lever, and compare it to the
average grip strength of the students in the class, which we measured
using the exercise science department's meter.

The lever was surprisingly weak, and we proved it by letting the
football player in the class squeeze it and bend it. I was pointing out
that it didn't need to withstand maximum grip strength, because the bike
would skid the rear wheel or topple over the front wheel long before
that point.

But I confess, by that time my elderly grip strength measured below any
male in the class.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 20th 17, 04:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

Wenger is in Delemont CH, not Illinois.

Andrew - I was speaking sarcastically about a "bicycle tool" whose only tool vaguely applicable was a beer bottle opener. Unless you prefer to slash your own tires.