Purchasing replacement chains for Trek R200

Old April 27th 04, 11:16 PM
Bryan K. Walton

Default Purchasing replacement chains for Trek R200

Greetings to the list:

I pulled out my trusty ruler today and measured the two chains on my
Trek R200. Both chains are just at 1/16" past 12". So, I'm looking
to buy some replacement chains. Can anybody give me some specific
things to look for (or stay away from) with regard to brands, etc.
This bent has SRAM 7.0 ESP shifters and SRAM 7.0 derailleurs. Are there
certain brands that are better for bents? (Does that even make sense?)

Any tips would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Bryan

--
************** remove the "REMOVE" from my email to email **************
Old April 28th 04, 12:13 AM
Guess Who I Am

Bryan:
since your bike has 8 sp setup a good and strong chain to think about is the
Sram PC-R80 or the Shimano HG-91.
either one of these are very good choices and are very strong.they retail for
about $25.00 ea.
Thank you Earl
GRR,RANS V2
Ti Rush,Ti Pursuit

Old April 28th 04, 05:13 AM
Bryan K. Walton

On 2004-04-27, Guess Who I Am wrote:
since your bike has 8 sp setup a good and strong chain to think about is the
Sram PC-R80 or the Shimano HG-91.

Hi Earl,
Thanks for the reply! Would both of those chains you
recommend also be good candidates for the 5sp chain on the front?
Also, should I simply buy enough standard DF chain and piece them
together? Or is it better to buy a long length of chain and break it up?

Thanks,
Bryan

--
************** remove the "REMOVE" from my email to email **************
Old April 28th 04, 05:17 AM
Wolverbob

One of the biggest rip-offs in recumbent land is when someone advertises a
"recumbent" chain that is basically two regular chains put together, yet they
charge much more than the price of two chains.

Right now there is a dealer that advertises a "recumbent" SRAM PC-58 chain, 11'
long, for $53. Another mail order firm advertises PC-58 chains for $14.99 (or
two for $29.98). What, I am going to pay someone $23 to link two chains
together? My god a chain tool only costs around $8-10.

Bob Krzewinski
Old April 28th 04, 05:58 AM
Jeff Wills

"Bryan K. Walton" wrote in message . ..
Greetings to the list:

I pulled out my trusty ruler today and measured the two chains on my
Trek R200. Both chains are just at 1/16" past 12". So, I'm looking
to buy some replacement chains. Can anybody give me some specific
things to look for (or stay away from) with regard to brands, etc.
This bent has SRAM 7.0 ESP shifters and SRAM 7.0 derailleurs. Are there
certain brands that are better for bents? (Does that even make sense?)

Any tips would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Bryan

Chains is chains. IIRC, the R200 was 8-speed, so any Sachs 8-speed
chain will work fine. PC-48 is what I've got on several of my bikes.

Jeff
Old April 28th 04, 09:59 AM
Dave Larrington

Jeff Wills wrote:

Chains is chains.

Unles they're KMC...

IIRC, the R200 was 8-speed, so any Sachs 8-speed
chain will work fine. PC-48 is what I've got on several of my bikes.

SRAM (formerly Sachs (formerly Sedis)) is as good as you'll get unless you
want to pay silly money for titanium, ten-speed or whatever. Plus the
Powerlink is a much better solution than anyone else's.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old April 29th 04, 02:47 AM
Bryan K. Walton

Thank you to everyone who responded. I think I will head to my LBS
and buy some regular SRAM PC58 and piece them together.

Again, thanks,
Bryan

Old May 1st 04, 09:57 PM
Brent Hugh

On 2004-04-27, Guess Who I Am wrote:
since your bike has 8 sp setup a good and strong chain to think about is the
Sram PC-R80 or the Shimano HG-91.

Hi Earl,
Thanks for the reply! Would both of those chains you
recommend also be good candidates for the 5sp chain on the front?

The 5-speed up front of an R200 uses 8-speed chain, cogs, etc. just
like the back. In fact the mid-drive is just a standard 8-speed
cassette with some funky spacers and a special straight-toothed
transfer cog in it, in place of the usual 3 innermost cogs.

So the long & short of it is, whatever type of chain you choose for
the back will also work up front . . .

--Brent
bhugh [at] mwsc.edu