Does anyone post anything about recumbent bikes here?

Old April 14th 05, 04:13 PM
Dave Larrington

mugwump wrote:
On 13 Apr 2005 06:07:13 -0700, "BentJay" wrote:

I think there's an issue with the Revives. I seem to recall that, if
you got a flat on the rear tire it was not field-repairable for some
reason. You had to bring it in to the shop. Can anyone remember
what that problem was?

It is really hard to imagine ANY bike design that uses pneumatic tires
and has no way for them to be repaired without a trip to the shop. I
will be doing any and all maintenance and repair work on the bike.
She will most definitely NEVER touch it.

Quite. I'm sure one can always get enough of the inner tube out of the tyre
to locate the hole and bung a patch on it. /Removing/ the wheel may be more
difficult, espeically on the hub-geared versions.

Kinder surprise! What's the surprise? Your children are now dead.

Old April 14th 05, 04:45 PM
HHS

Let me get this straight mugwump. Your wife is in medical school, you must
do everything for her, she finds managing a two gear bike shifter overly
complicated, and she can't figure out how to adjust the seats in her BMW.

The message I'm getting here is that maybe Mrs. Dr. Mugwump isn't exactly
cut out to be a heart surgeon.

HHS

"mugwump" wrote in message
She is in medical school and has even less time for bike shopping than
for riding, so I must handle this (and all other) situation for her,
as many times as it takes until she is satisfied.

Based on what I know, she would find a real recumbent intimidating.
She must be protected from exposure to the dirty parts of a bike. She
finds managing two gear shifters overly complicated, and for the
riding she will do, it is completely unnecessary to have two. She
will never fix a tire, oil a chain, or adjust a bearing.

To give you an example of what we're dealing with, we have an older
BMW that has power adjusting seats. She drives that car most of the
time. If we are going somewhere together and taking that car, even
though she hates driving, she will usually drive anyway, citing the
trouble it is to readjust the car seat to fit her as the reason for
doing so. yes, she would rather suffer the drive than push a couple
buttons to readjust the car seat. I consider this an improvement. It
means there is something she hates more than driving.

Why does she want a bike at all, you may ask... She wants a bike
because I have two. Nevermind that I actually ride mine daily. It is
a matter of "fairness".

I wish it weren't so, but that is the situation.

Old April 14th 05, 06:09 PM
Jon Meinecke

"mugwump" wrote
She is in medical school [...]
she would find a real recumbent intimidating.

Bodies seem more complex and intimidating "machines"
to maintain, interact with and manage than bicycles.

She must be protected from exposure to the dirty parts of a bike.

Have you considered a set of scrubs, examination gloves, etc... %^)

Why does she want a bike at all, you may ask... She wants a bike
because I have two. Nevermind that I actually ride mine daily. It is
a matter of "fairness".

Buy her the most expensive bike with the greatest resale value.
That may score you points.

After it sits in the garage for months at a time without being
ridden, or only ridden a few miles, convince her it doesn't
make sense to have such an expensive bike and not ride it
more. Sell it and buy http://www.pedicab.com/ , or
http://www.bikesatwork.com/bicycle-rickshaw/... %^)

Jon Meinecke

Old April 14th 05, 07:01 PM
Larry R. Wright

"HHS" wrote in
:

Let me get this straight mugwump. Your wife is in medical school, you
must do everything for her, she finds managing a two gear bike shifter
overly complicated, and she can't figure out how to adjust the seats
in her BMW.

The message I'm getting here is that maybe Mrs. Dr. Mugwump isn't
exactly cut out to be a heart surgeon.

I had much the same thought! And she wants one just because you have two -
not because she is actually interested in riding. Obviously if she had an
interest, she would be willing to shop for one. I would wait until she
would at least commit to shopping for one.
Old April 15th 05, 02:16 AM
Mark Leuck

"mugwump" wrote in message
On 13 Apr 2005 06:07:13 -0700, "BentJay" wrote:

I think there's an issue with the Revives. I seem to recall that, if
you got a flat on the rear tire it was not field-repairable for some
reason. You had to bring it in to the shop. Can anyone remember what
that problem was?

It is really hard to imagine ANY bike design that uses pneumatic tires
and has no way for them to be repaired without a trip to the shop. I
will be doing any and all maintenance and repair work on the bike.
She will most definitely NEVER touch it.

By looking at the rear design it might indeed be more difficult to replace a
tire

http://www.giant.co.jp/revive/img_pr...revive_e_m.jpg

Old April 15th 05, 06:20 AM
mugwump

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 10:45:20 -0500, "HHS" wrote:

Let me get this straight mugwump. Your wife is in medical school, you must
do everything for her, she finds managing a two gear bike shifter overly
complicated, and she can't figure out how to adjust the seats in her BMW.

Actually, she knows how to adjust the seats in the car, it's just too
much trouble!

The message I'm getting here is that maybe Mrs. Dr. Mugwump isn't exactly
cut out to be a heart surgeon.

Funny you should mention that, she IS interested in surgery!
Old April 15th 05, 06:23 AM
mugwump

Buy her the most expensive bike with the greatest resale value.
That may score you points.

After it sits in the garage for months at a time without being
ridden, or only ridden a few miles, convince her it doesn't
make sense to have such an expensive bike and not ride it
more.

No, that won't work. As long as I have a bike, she MUST have a bike,
even if it is just decorating the garage.

Sell it and buy http://www.pedicab.com/ , or
http://www.bikesatwork.com/bicycle-rickshaw/... %^)

That would be culturally unacceptable to her.
Old April 15th 05, 06:26 AM
mugwump

Fortunately I have a modest collection of bike specific tools, and
know how to use most of them (nevermind about that freehub disassembly
a couple weeks ago!). I would have no trouble taking the thing apart
to swap a tire or fix a flat unless they welded the wheel's axle to
the bike frame.

Old April 15th 05, 12:48 PM
Jon Meinecke

"mugwump" wrote

[I previously wrote]
http://www.pedicab.com/ , or
http://www.bikesatwork.com/bicycle-rickshaw/... %^)

That would be culturally unacceptable to her.

My wife wouldn't take cultural exception to either powering or riding
one though she grew up where such vehicles are much more common.
In any case, I presumed you would pedal, she would passenger, not
vice versa. There are also side-by-side two-pedaler pedal cars if
more egalitarian appearance is desired.

Actually a tandem might be a solution. Perhaps a 'sociable', side-by-side
model... Some people report that tandems enable their formerly
non-cycling SO's to enjoy cycling. No steering, shifting, etc. if she
didn't mind the stoker position.

Jon Meinecke

Old April 15th 05, 01:02 PM
HHS

"mugwump" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 10:45:20 -0500, "HHS" wrote:

Let me get this straight mugwump. Your wife is in medical school, you
must
do everything for her, she finds managing a two gear bike shifter overly
complicated, and she can't figure out how to adjust the seats in her BMW.

Actually, she knows how to adjust the seats in the car, it's just too
much trouble!

The message I'm getting here is that maybe Mrs. Dr. Mugwump isn't exactly
cut out to be a heart surgeon.

Funny you should mention that, she IS interested in surgery!

Mugwump is it too late for her to transfer to Veterinary school?

HHS