cfsmtb - Help required!

Old July 9th 04, 05:30 AM
flyingdutch

Default cfsmtb - Help required!

You mentioned recently you went on a ride with (was it darebin BUG
or Yarra council?) to review different cycling facilities around
city of Yarra

Did you look at/review/comment on the region...

Victoria St, Richmond. where it approaches the yarra bridge (out front
of BAESystems/AMCOR offices) on the northern side?

Currently there is a short (20-30m) on-road bikelane, but it dissapears
as the road narrows to go over the bridge. It would be great to offer
cyclists an option to go up a 'pram' ramp (ie type without the
'bullnose' bump on it!) onto the footpath and then proceed on footpath
heading east over bridge and over hill, thus avoiding cutting-gauntlet

cheers FD

Old July 9th 04, 06:15 AM
cfsmtb

The ride was planned as a activity by Yarra Council's Bicycle Advisory
Committee. I contacted BoroondaraBUG and also added an inspection of the
bridge into the ride on June 5th.

You mean Victoria Bridge just east of Concrete Gardens, *ahem*, I mean
Victoria Gardens?

Boroondara Bicycle Users Group have discussed this option of a shared
foot/bike path on the bridge, it was discussed at the last BAC Meeting.

See here for BAC minutes etc,
http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/council/vision/bac04.asp

BoroondaraBUG webpage: http://home.vicnet.net.au/~bdarabug

BoroondaraBUG discussion list:

YarraBUG webpage and email list:

From the YarraBUG July Newsletter:

Yarra Bicycle Advisory Committee Ride Review The BAC Ride on 5th June
took place on a very chilly Saturday morning. Despite the cold, 18
cyclists, including Richard Smithers, two Yarra Council Councillors, and
cyclists from YarraBUG and BooroondaraBUG, attended the tour around
Richmond, Burnley, Abbotsford and Clifton Hill.

The Tour started off with a look at issues on Victoria Bridge, members
of Booroondara Bicycle Users Group have mentioned creating a shared
walk/cycle path on the bridge footpaths. This issue was also raised at
the recent BAC meeting for discussion.

Other areas looked at were Highett and Church Streets, the intersection
Victoria and Church Streets, inspection and discussion of Collins
Bridge, discussion of Capital City Trail being extended between Gipps
and Flockhart Reserve, Nicholson Street, and various issues of road
repair, on road bike lanes and traffic concerns. Thank you to all who
attended and helped organise the BAC Tour.

Old July 9th 04, 08:30 AM
flyingdutch

cfsmtb wrote:
The ride was planned as a activity by Yarra Council's Bicycle Advisory
Committee. I contacted BoroondaraBUG and also added an inspection of the
bridge into the ride on June 5th.
You mean Victoria Bridge just east of Concrete Gardens, *ahem*, I mean
Victoria Gardens?
Boroondara Bicycle Users Group have discussed this option of a shared
foot/bike path on the bridge, it was discussed at the last BAC Meeting.
See here for BAC minutes etc,
http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/council/vision/bac04.asp
BoroondaraBUG webpage: http://home.vicnet.net.au/~bdarabug
BoroondaraBUG discussion list:
YarraBUG webpage and email list:
From the YarraBUG July Newsletter:
[...]

Yep, Im in the BBUG, hence the query as we discussed this scenario last
night. We dont have the luxury of a BAC (much to my frustration. council
are against it!)

Just wanted to confirm that the ride had addressed/looked at that. Shall
check out thos minutes and maybe get in contact with the appropriate
people. Any pointers on who to email/call on that? Boroondara ouncil are
scoping what can be done on the east side of the cutting re solid bike
lane and exit ramp off footpath onto Barkers Rd. Also possibly
formalising a path thru tramways carpark entrance and thru to Bowen St
(there's a gap in the wall) The south side is a trickier scenario when
heading west. only realistic solution is palcing signage/paint lines
directing ccyclists left into Findon and council are
supporting/installing a pramramp from laneway (off elmSt?) exit onto
Harrison Crescent

cheers FD

Old July 9th 04, 08:32 AM
DaveB

Currently there is a short (20-30m) on-road bikelane, but it dissapears
as the road narrows to go over the bridge. It would be great to offer
cyclists an option to go up a 'pram' ramp (ie type without the
'bullnose' bump on it!) onto the footpath and then proceed on footpath
heading east over bridge and over hill, thus avoiding cutting-gauntlet

cheers FD

Do you ride up that section of footpath? It always looked too narrow to
me considering it always seems to have at least one pedestrian when I go
past through the cutting (when I'm brave enough or too tired to cope
with crossing the Yarra and up the hill)

DaveB