Not the best start to the commuting week...

Old July 5th 04, 12:08 AM
hippy

Default Not the best start to the commuting week...

http://thehippy.net/nucleus/media/1/...36_SFW10pc.jpg
http://thehippy.net/nucleus/media/1/...37_SFW10pc.jpg

hippy

Old July 5th 04, 01:45 AM
ritcho

Hippy wrote:
http://thehippy.net/nucleus/media/1/20040704-
204_0436_SFW10pc.jpghttp://thehippy.net/nucleus/media/1/20040704-
204_0436_SFW10pc.jpg http://thehippy.net/nucleus/media/1/20040704-
204_0437_SFW10pc.jpghttp://thehippy.net/nucleus/media/1/20040704-
204_0437_SFW10pc.jpg
hippy

Why is there never a Mavic neutral support vehicle when you need one?

Ritch

Old July 5th 04, 02:25 AM
hippy

"ritcho" wrote in message
.. .
Hippy wrote:
http://thehippy.net/nucleus/media/1/...36_SFW10pc.jpg
http://thehippy.net/nucleus/media/1/...37_SFW10pc.jpg

Why is there never a Mavic neutral support vehicle when you need one?

There was a CONNEX support vehicle nearby
but they only provide a sag-wagon service, no
spares.. ;-)

hippy

Old July 5th 04, 06:15 AM
eddiec

Well, you'll be pleased to know I proved the Golden Rule on Sunday's
alternative 'wuss-ride'...

Get 4 kms from home and we realise: Crap... no pump. Oh well, keep
going, it's all bike paths so we should be ok.

Half way through ride - pffffft! My buddy grabs a puncture and comes
hobbling up with a look of fateful acceptance of the inevitable laws of
cycling nature... Luckily, we punctured just 100m short of Kanteen
where there were many other cyclists, so borrowed a pump (Yay!) and got
to fixing...

Had patches, no spare tube. So of course, not only was it punctured, but
the valve had torn too... Double crap.

Settle in for a few long coffees while we call the support vehicle
(significant other to the rescue!) and await rescue...

Could've been worse, but it was turning into a beautiful ride day. Such
a shame...

Note to self. Always take pump AND tube in future... No matter what...
(Of course, today I've forgotten tire levers so I'm praying for a
merciful God on the way home...)

Old July 5th 04, 06:30 AM
flyingdutch

eddiec wrote:
[...]

Kanteen ? wozzat??

you meant remember to take minimum pump and TWO tubes AND mobie to call
'support-wife' in case of dire emergency

Old July 5th 04, 06:30 AM
eddiec

flyingdutch wrote:
Kanteen ? wozzat??
you meant remember to take minimum pump and TWO tubes AND mobie to call
'support-wife' in case of dire emergency

Kanteen - outdoorsy style cafe just opposite Herring Island down near
Como Park in South Yarra... along the Yarra trail and hence much
frequented by the recreational cyclist.. Very nice, if a tad breezy
(although they do provide blankets which was much appreciated!)

Times like this I wonder whether to go the tubeless + pucture goo
option... Not totally convinced yet!

Old July 5th 04, 07:25 AM
hippy

"eddiec" wrote in message
news
Note to self. Always take pump AND tube in future... No matter what...

Of course, at some stage prior to today, I had
removed these from my bag... usually for commute
punctures, it's quicker to jump on a train rather
than repair it anyway - so I did.

hippy

Old July 5th 04, 07:25 AM
hippy

"eddiec" wrote in message
.. .
Times like this I wonder whether to go the tubeless + pucture goo
option... Not totally convinced yet!

There was a couple of big threads about Stan's
No Tubes ages ago. They sounds pretty damn
good - better than a "proper" tubless setup coz
you can use normal tyres.
Google for "Stan's". I remember having a big
property investment discussion with the guy
(jason king??) so search for 'property' 'italy'
'trials' 'positive gearing' and he had undersprung
forks... ahh memories.. ;-)
www.mtbr.com or www.farkin.net will have
people ranting or raving about them too..

hippy

Old July 5th 04, 07:25 AM
hippy

"flyingdutch" wrote in message
you meant remember to take minimum pump and TWO tubes AND mobie to

call
'support-wife' in case of dire emergency

Ahh.. so that's what wives are for!

hippy

Old July 5th 04, 07:45 AM
eddiec

Hippy wrote:
"eddiec" wrote in message news:JH5Gc.4-
-
netserver.com...
Times like this I wonder whether to go the tubeless + pucture goo
option... Not totally convinced yet!

There was a couple of big threads about Stan's No Tubes ages ago. They
sounds pretty damn good - better than a "proper" tubless setup coz you
can use normal tyres. Google for "Stan's". I remember having a big
property investment discussion with the guy (jason king??) so search for
'property' 'italy' 'trials' 'positive gearing' and he had undersprung
forks... ahh memories.. ;-) www.mtbr.com or www.farkin.net will have
people ranting or raving about them too..
hippy

Stan's would be the option if I went that way... and you're right, heaps
of people do rave, but a significant number also speak very poorly of
the system and its complicated, not-entirely-foolproof set up...

In some ways I like the simplicity of the ol' inner tube... hmmm...
dilemmas...

what to wear for commuting davek UK 16 July 19th 04 06:35 PM
Pollute to Work Week!! Cycle America General 22 June 2nd 04 10:47 PM
San Diego area commuting questions Noel Llopis General 2 May 12th 04 03:47 AM
_Rhymes_With_Orange_ (Week of 9-Feb): Is it bike week? Jym Dyer General 0 February 10th 04 04:13 PM