Ode to DRS

Old July 10th 04, 07:19 AM
DaveB

Default Ode to DRS

Actually quote for DRS is probably more accurate but ode sounded better.

Just read this in a Bryce Courtney book (Tandia) and it seemed so
perfect I figured I should post it.

"We will endeavour to teach you to be right but not righteous, to be
accurate but not dull; truth-seeking without being a pedant, accepting
always that some other truth may equally exist"

DaveB (whose 39T chainring just arrived but not enough time to fit it
before tomorrow's ride, doh!)

Old July 10th 04, 10:45 AM
cfsmtb

Or a extract from "Desiderata" by Max Ehrmann

As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all
persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others,
even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud
and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

(with much grinding of teeth)

Old July 10th 04, 12:46 PM
DRS

"DaveB" wrote in message

Actually quote for DRS is probably more accurate but ode sounded
better.

Just read this in a Bryce Courtney book (Tandia) and it seemed so
perfect I figured I should post it.

"We will endeavour to teach you to be right but not righteous, to be
accurate but not dull; truth-seeking without being a pedant, accepting
always that some other truth may equally exist"

It's a shame it's completely inapplicable here. You either post properly or
you don't. Top-posting is always wrong on Usenet. There is no New Age
airy-fairy brain damaged "happy medium" here.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old July 10th 04, 01:02 PM
DaveB

DRS wrote:
"DaveB" wrote in message

Actually quote for DRS is probably more accurate but ode sounded
better.

Just read this in a Bryce Courtney book (Tandia) and it seemed so
perfect I figured I should post it.

"We will endeavour to teach you to be right but not righteous, to be
accurate but not dull; truth-seeking without being a pedant, accepting
always that some other truth may equally exist"

It's a shame it's completely inapplicable here. You either post properly or
you don't. Top-posting is always wrong on Usenet. There is no New Age
airy-fairy brain damaged "happy medium" here.

I'm pretty sure there was no reference to top posting in the original
post. The post was all about accepting that not everyone will share you
point of view and accepting that. But as usual, you just don't get it
(no surprise there really).

DaveB (who won't be posting again on this thread, post away DRS as you
seem to believe that if you have the last post it proves you were right)

Old July 10th 04, 01:14 PM
DRS

"DaveB" wrote in message

DRS wrote:
"DaveB" wrote in message

[...]

"We will endeavour to teach you to be right but not righteous, to be
accurate but not dull; truth-seeking without being a pedant,
accepting always that some other truth may equally exist"

It's a shame it's completely inapplicable here. You either post
properly or you don't. Top-posting is always wrong on Usenet.
There is no New Age airy-fairy brain damaged "happy medium" here.

I'm pretty sure there was no reference to top posting in the original
post. The post was all about accepting that not everyone will share
you point of view and accepting that. But as usual, you just don't
get it (no surprise there really).

Oh, I get it. What I also get but you and some others don't is that there
are some things on which you cannot simply agree to disagree. Top-posting
is one such.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old July 10th 04, 11:01 PM
John L

I agree , I am a sinner & will burn in the fires of eternal hell,
probably caused by burning bike tyres Whereas you will be in bottom
posting heaven, surrounded by all the bottoms you desire. Let's all
pray it happens soon in your case:-)

John L.

Old July 10th 04, 11:06 PM
DRS

You really are a ****wit.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old July 10th 04, 11:15 PM
mfhor

mfhor wrote:

Ooops, what happened there?

Anyway, here's an ode

Post on, my man, post on, I say No dolts nor morons bar your way. Let
not their consciences subtract from your great joy, their faults t'enact
upon the printed page, nor let an ill-deserved epithet escape your
keyboard, mar your page with spat-out dregs of Usenet-rage. When you've
troubled all your foils with calumnies and plagues of boils then let at
last your fingers rest, cos Sonny Jim, you've failed the test.

"What test? you ask indignantly "This Usenet, it was made for me! To
carp and criticise, to boast that herein, me, I know the most!" No it
wasn't, here I dissent To talk to people was it meant. By shouting and
invoking rules you keep from knowing, liking "fools" who may not have
your large IQ but wiser are, to "fools" like you.

M "too much Dr Seuss as a child" H

Old July 10th 04, 11:19 PM
DRS

"mfhor" wrote in message

[...]

"What test? you ask indignantly "This Usenet, it was made for me!

I never said, suggested or implied any such thing. I'm merely arguing that
people should adhere to Usenet standards and guidelines. I'm the one
arguing for consideration for others. I'm the one arguing against
selfishness, laziness and stupidity.

Bottom vs. top posting and quotation style on Usenet
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html

Why is Bottom-posting better than Top-posting
http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gey_stv0.htm

http://www.fscked.co.uk/writing/top-posting-cuss.html

--

A: Top-posters.

Old July 10th 04, 11:36 PM
John L

Try stamping your feet & wetting your pants, that just might work :-)

John L.