Shifters Broken?

Old January 23rd 05, 08:11 PM
bicycle

Default Shifters Broken?

I just put new housing and cable on my bike for brakes/derailleurs.
After hooking up the rear derailleur, and tensioning the cable, I
noticed that the derailleur wasn't moving at all. I removed tension
from the derailleur and held the cable with my hand. Again, the
shifters were not moving the cable(loose or tight). Although I can
still hear clicks on upshift and downshift, are the shifters hosed?
I have Tiagra.

Thanks,

Kerry

Old January 23rd 05, 08:27 PM
Arthur Harris

"bicycle" wrote:

I just put new housing and cable on my bike for brakes/derailleurs.
After hooking up the rear derailleur, and tensioning the cable, I
noticed that the derailleur wasn't moving at all. I removed tension
from the derailleur and held the cable with my hand. Again, the
shifters were not moving the cable(loose or tight). Although I can
still hear clicks on upshift and downshift, are the shifters hosed?
I have Tiagra.

If they were working before you started replacing cables, it's probably
something you did.

When removing the old shift wires you should first shift to the position
with the least tension (e.g., the smallest cog in the back). Then (after
removing the old cable), when you pull the brake lever back, you should be
able to see a hole where you thread the new gear wire. I think you may not
have threaded the new wire properly. Can you remove the wire? If so, you
might want to start over. See:
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/lever.shtml

Art Harris

Old January 23rd 05, 09:01 PM
bicycle

Art:

I am pretty sure it was in installed correctly. Regardless, I have
pulled it out an reinstalled it. But as a check, I removed the housing
from the shifter so that only the cable is visible. If I pull it taut
by hand, then perform the shifting, shouldn't I be able to feel the
shifters pulling or loosening tension?

Old January 23rd 05, 09:24 PM
bicycle

After looking at it REALLY closely, Art you were right - thank god.
Apparently there is a little slotted sleeve within the shifter. If you
do not thread the cable through the shifter sleever, the shifters will
shift, but not pull cable. Weird since I was able to completely seat
the cable.

Thanks Art for your help.

Kerry

Old January 24th 05, 04:28 AM
A Muzi

bicycle wrote:
I just put new housing and cable on my bike for brakes/derailleurs.
After hooking up the rear derailleur, and tensioning the cable, I
noticed that the derailleur wasn't moving at all. I removed tension
from the derailleur and held the cable with my hand. Again, the
shifters were not moving the cable(loose or tight). Although I can
still hear clicks on upshift and downshift, are the shifters hosed?
I have Tiagra.

Uh, it is possible to miss the cable carrier when you slide
the wire through the lever. When you shift to high gear, can
you see the wire head in its carrier?

I assume it was shifting before you put the new wire in, right?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org