Freezing Hull

Old January 17th 12, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn[_9_]

Default Freezing Hull

"thirty-six" wrote in message
On Jan 17, 1:27 pm, "Mr. Benn" wrote:

Have you considered using warm dihydrogen monoxide? That's fairly cheap
these days and leaves little residue.

The washer line has already been re-routed to pass over the valve
cover. It still freezes. Making it any warmer could risk cracking
the windscreen. Dihydrgen monoxide also has a common side-effect of
reducing brake efficiency

Not if you pour it on the windscreen it doesn't.

Old January 17th 12, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Jan 17, 2:09*pm, "Mr. Benn" wrote:
"thirty-six" wrote in message

On Jan 17, 1:27 pm, "Mr. Benn" wrote:
Have you considered using warm dihydrogen monoxide? *That's fairly cheap
these days and leaves little residue.

The washer line has already been re-routed to pass over the valve
cover. * It still freezes. * Making it any warmer could risk cracking
the windscreen. *Dihydrgen monoxide also has a common side-effect of
reducing brake efficiency

Not if you pour it on the windscreen it doesn't.

The drain points from the windscreen go inside the wheel arches. I
wouldn't know where exactly. I still wouldn't pour a kettle of hot
water on the windscreen, and even if I did get away with it
(windscreen replacement probably £180) once, what happens when I am
away from a conveinient source of hot water, should I use a Thermos or
a paraffin cooker?
Old January 17th 12, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
roger merriman

In article
,
thirty-six wrote:

On Jan 17, 6:15*am, Simon Mason wrote:
On Dec 30 2011, 2:04*am, Simon Mason wrote:

On Dec 29, 6:23*am, "Simon Mason"
wrote:

New Year's Day is set to be 12C believe it or not.
I had a little chuckle to myself when I saw that Waitrose had cleared
all of
their deicer from the checkout area and Spring stuff was being
displayed
instead.

It is currently 10C and slated to be a balmy 14C on New Years Day.
All of the Spring bulbs are out in the shops amd there are no deicers
to be found at all.

Had to break the ice on our garden ponds yesterday as it had dipped
well below freezing.
Now it is minus 3C so I will need to get well wrapped for my 12 mile
walk to get my hair cut at 0830 today.
--
Simon Mason

Would have needed the de-icer yesterday if only the car would have
started. Even if I can't find a can of de-icer I have magnesium
chloride which should work. If ever the washer 'water' should freeze
on the windscreen I'll use a magnesium solution for that. Seems a
lot cheaper than the special heated windscreens.

your car doesn't start at -3? and you can't clear the windscreen?

I spent years as a postie setting off at -10 or so at 4.30am in the
winter. scraper will normally shift the ice, plus some de icer, and the
car warms up fairly quickly.

best I had for that was a old volvo 240, very powerful heater that was
very nice at the end of the day.

Roger
Old January 17th 12, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 17/01/2012 13:46, thirty-six wrote:
On Jan 17, 1:27 pm, "Mr. wrote:
wrote in message

On Jan 17, 6:15 am, Simon wrote:
On Dec 30 2011, 2:04 am, Simon wrote:

On Dec 29, 6:23 am, "Simon
wrote:

[...]

reducing brake efficiency so must be used in small amounts to prevent
serious contamination of brake pads.

So you pull over to the side of the road the moment it starts to rain and
don't move off again until it's stopped and the vehicle has had a good chance
to thoroughly dry.

I think you might be worrying unnecessarily.
Old January 17th 12, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 17/01/2012 14:29, thirty-six wrote:
On Jan 17, 2:09 pm, "Mr. wrote:
wrote in message

On Jan 17, 1:27 pm, "Mr. wrote:
Have you considered using warm dihydrogen monoxide? That's fairly cheap
these days and leaves little residue.

The washer line has already been re-routed to pass over the valve
cover. It still freezes. Making it any warmer could risk cracking
the windscreen. Dihydrgen monoxide also has a common side-effect of
reducing brake efficiency

Not if you pour it on the windscreen it doesn't.

The drain points from the windscreen go inside the wheel arches. I
wouldn't know where exactly. I still wouldn't pour a kettle of hot
water on the windscreen, and even if I did get away with it
(windscreen replacement probably £180) once, what happens when I am
away from a conveinient source of hot water, should I use a Thermos or
a paraffin cooker?

http://tinyurl.com/7sf2nfq

Keep one in your vehicle at all times.

Old January 17th 12, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Jan 17, 2:09 pm, "Mr. *wrote:
*wrote in message

On Jan 17, 1:27 pm, "Mr. *wrote:
Have you considered using warm dihydrogen monoxide? *That's fairly cheap
these days and leaves little residue.

The washer line has already been re-routed to pass over the valve
cover. * It still freezes. * Making it any warmer could risk cracking
the windscreen. *Dihydrgen monoxide also has a common side-effect of
reducing brake efficiency

Not if you pour it on the windscreen it doesn't.

The drain points from the windscreen go inside the wheel arches. *I
wouldn't know where exactly. *I still wouldn't pour a kettle of hot
water on the windscreen, and even if I did get away with it
(windscreen replacement probably £180) once, what happens when I am
away from a conveinient source of hot water, should I use a Thermos or
a paraffin cooker?

http://tinyurl.com/7sf2nfq

Keep one in your vehicle at all times.

I had that exact same one, last winter. Not much of a problem at the
minute, with a battery which wont charge.
Old January 17th 12, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Jan 17, 3:39*pm, Roger Merriman wrote:
In article
,

wrote:

[...]

Looks like I've been sold a dud battery. Yet to see. I'm trying to
charge it up off the vehichle right now, but do not seem to be having
much joy.
Old January 17th 12, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 17/01/2012 18:13, thirty-six wrote:

wrote:
thirty-six wrote:
"Mr. wrote:
wrote

On Jan 17, 1:27 pm, "Mr. wrote:
[...]

What happened to it?

The one in my car has been in the vehicle and its predecessor for about nine
years.

Old January 17th 12, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Jan 17, 6:46*pm, JNugent wrote:
On 17/01/2012 18:13, thirty-six wrote:

*wrote:
thirty-six wrote:
"Mr. * *wrote:
* *wrote
On Jan 17, 1:27 pm, "Mr. * *wrote:
[...]

Probably got pulled out come MOT time.

The one in my car has been in the vehicle and its predecessor for about nine
years.

I'm sure that's false imprisonment.

Old January 17th 12, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
roger merriman

In article
,

wrote:

[...]

That would do it, -3 really shouldn't stop a car.

Roger

Freezing Hull Judith[_4_] UK 71 December 23rd 11 03:31 AM
From Global Freezing to Global Freezing: Timeline of the GlobalWarming Fraud Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 0 February 3rd 10 04:06 PM
Freezing Weather Cadseen General 3 December 13th 08 08:21 AM
STI shifters freezing Mark Heiple Techniques 5 December 9th 06 04:59 AM
OT Freezing weather Adrian Boliston UK 3 June 24th 04 02:38 PM